Why Is the Military Creating an Army of Fake People on the Internet?

USAF CyberspaceAdrian Chen commenting on a pretty amazing Daily Kos story on Gizmodo:

Here’s a slight glimpse into the Air Force’s cyber warfare efforts: a request for bids from last summer for “Persona Management Software,” which would allow one person to command an army of fake online people.

From the request, posted on the Federal Business Opportunities website:

Software will allow 10 personas per user, replete with background , history, supporting details, and cyber presences that are technically, culturally and geographacilly consistent. Individual applications will enable an operator to exercise a number of different online persons from the same workstation and without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries. Personas must be able to appear to originate in nearly any part of the world and can interact through conventional online services and social media platforms.

The request was for 50 licenses, which means the Air Force hoped to create up to 500 fake Internet people. The request was filled in June, which means these fake people could be roaming the ‘net right now.

Read More on Gizmodo

79 Comments on "Why Is the Military Creating an Army of Fake People on the Internet?"

1. Hadrian999 | Feb 19, 2011 at 8:27 pm |

makes recruiting false flag terrorists less risky, don’t want anyone realizing.
    don’t want anyone realizing that the latest batch of terrorist screw ups busted by the feds were actually recruited by the government. creating fake anarchist groups, infiltrating online groups……..

2. Hadrian999 | Feb 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

makes recruiting false flag terrorists less risky.

3. BananaFamine | Feb 19, 2011 at 8:36 pm |

Can dangerously be used to manipulate outrage and support. Never underestimate the power of sheep-mentality.

If an army of fake people are posting comments and blogging to support a war against the Mexican cartels, the invasion of Iran, etc many “real” people are likely to jump on the bandwagon.

The government and its agencies have been accused countless times of fear-mongering through rumor starting, and what better medium than through fake internet personas.

4. BananaFamine | Feb 19, 2011 at 4:36 pm |

• Padraig22 | Feb 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm |

but it could also be used to invalidate many genuine messages from people in places like Egypt, Bahrain, Libya and anywhere else the net is doing a good job

5. Ask Yoo-hoo.

6. Ask Yoo-hoo.

7. Anonymous | Feb 19, 2011 at 9:07 pm |

Programs like this have been in operation for a long time now. Powerful and sinister propaganda.

8. reubenavery | Feb 19, 2011 at 5:07 pm |

9. Anonymous | Feb 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm |

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble….

10. GoodDoktorBad | Feb 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm |

Bubble bubble, toil and trouble….

11. Joyce Dupuis | Feb 19, 2011 at 9:54 pm |

No surprise, the military personel are insane, otherwise they would abhor killing. Perhaps they plan to cyber-kill their imagined enemies. It would save some tax dollars.

12. Joyce Dupuis | Feb 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

13. They’re clearly creating virtual people for a cyber army. You know, for cyber warfare…

(And I bet at least half of America would believe that line…)

14. They’re clearly creating virtual people for a cyber army. You know, for cyber warfare…

(And I bet at least half of America would believe that line…)

15. mrtastycakes | Feb 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm |

I don’t understand all this hostility against cyberwarfare. It’s proven (Stuxnet), eliminates friendly fire (infected many computers, but only acted on the one controlling Bushehr’s centrifuges), cannot be reused against us when leaders change (the worm destroyed itself after the mission), and non-violent (no one was hurt, unlike a conventional military operation).
    Personally, I hope this is the future of national security (it is).

16. mrtastycakes | Feb 19, 2011 at 7:19 pm |

Personally, I hope this is the future of national security (it is).

17. Is it going to be like Tron!??!?

18. greetings, program

19. justagirl | Feb 19, 2011 at 11:55 pm |

fake people roaming the net? wow. i just can’t wrap my mind around it. <~~~~ insert sarcasm.

20. justagirl | Feb 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

21. Padraig22 | Feb 20, 2011 at 12:03 am |

22. Hadrian999 | Feb 20, 2011 at 12:25 am |

people love violence, they are conditioned towards it, they only dislike getting punished for it

23. All of the people commenting in this thread are USAF-owned false identities set to spread disinformation, including me. Have a nice day, and don’t mention Operation NIGHTMARE GREEN or I’ll have your clearance revoked.

24. John Ohno | Feb 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm |

25. Is this supposed to be a change from the status quo? we already have plenty of fake people in the media, in movies, etc.

26. Is this supposed to be a change from the status quo? we already have plenty of fake people in the media, in movies, etc.

27. thats america for ya…a nation of fake plastic cocksuckers…with very very very few exceptions

28. thats america for ya…a nation of fake plastic cocksuckers…with very very very few exceptions

• Apparently, in whatever shithole you jealous types come from, they don’t teach reading comprehension skills… because you missed the fucking point by miles, you inbred twat.

• JohnnyUtah | Feb 20, 2011 at 3:57 pm |

Are you retarded? The whole point is that we are angry about how the government is secretly doing this you moron.

29. ZombieStomper | Feb 20, 2011 at 4:01 am |

30. Stefan hutchinson | Feb 20, 2011 at 6:06 am |

think CHINA

31. Stefan hutchinson | Feb 20, 2011 at 2:06 am |

think CHINA

32. Here is what they are doing. Check out Google Finance Discussion Group, it’s a perfect example of Air Force, CIA, and DARPA operations. Each military employee/CIA field agent, has several personas on there. What they do is they draw people into an interaction, by posting interesting and friendly things. They probe to get the name of the person they have drawn in. From the name, and whatever information they can get, they will locate the person and start tracking them by satellite. Next, they get a picture of the person. From that, they can use the picture and Radionics to find the person’s FREQUENCY!!! Once they have the frequency, they can tune into it, and upload ALL their thoughts, the entire contents of their brain, onto a computer. Next, they start an online affair, or they have an old classmate initiate one. With control of the person’s frequency/central nervous system, they can hypnotize the person. Once they have enough personal/embarrassing information gleaned from Facebook (which is CIA), they can then BLACKMAIL the person. Along with this comes electrical shocks via satellite, Gangstalking, and other terrorism. Welcome to the NWO!!!

33. Here is what they are doing. Check out Google Finance Discussion Group, it’s a perfect example of Air Force, CIA, and DARPA operations. Each military employee/CIA field agent, has several personas on there. What they do is they draw people into an interaction, by posting interesting and friendly things. They probe to get the name of the person they have drawn in. From the name, and whatever information they can get, they will locate the person and start tracking them by satellite. Next, they get a picture of the person. From that, they can use the picture and Radionics to find the person’s FREQUENCY!!! Once they have the frequency, they can tune into it, and upload ALL their thoughts, the entire contents of their brain, onto a computer. Next, they start an online affair, or they have an old classmate initiate one. With control of the person’s frequency/central nervous system, they can hypnotize the person. Once they have enough personal/embarrassing information gleaned from Facebook (which is CIA), they can then BLACKMAIL the person. Along with this comes electrical shocks via satellite, Gangstalking, and other terrorism. Welcome to the NWO!!!

• ..i’ve not come across anything ever before on uploaded a human beings frequency? is that actually possible? can u direct me to more research/information on this?

• Uh, he’s being funny you moron.

• Oh Dooksup you kill joy you, she needs the truth come now.. KM truth is here, though like all good things comes with a price. Send us 50 good paper reasons why we should send you the remedy and cure for frquency violations that are tracking us as we speak. Simply send myself, that Dooksup and Steeling Sugar characters[my Gosh who picked your names for you guys? ] now send 50 bucks no you are the 50th caller of the night and have hereeby won a free frequecy cleanse. if it sound like I am making fun of you KM this is good, it means there is still hope for you kid!

The sad part of this Dksp is the editors are more likely to treat me like a pranskster than the authors allowed to write the fables. Like I’m immoral? Manufactured insanity sold to the unstable cannot be very noble in its own right. Can it?. Not to worry if kicked off site, all thoughts are stolen before we hit the door. Hmm…now who started this post again about steeling thoughts? Someone going by the name… Steeling Sugar? Yikes! Pretty sketchy you ask me…pretty sketchy.

• that is either hilarious…or you are just an idiot.

• Oh my gosh i could not stop laughing as I know there are people who actually believe this is true. Then I realized how do I know the author Steeling Sugar is being cynical and is not the one doing the believing? A person making this comment while not being cynical would actually not surprise me on this kind of website, not at all! Stealing Sugar, tell all, restore my faith in humanity, even if for but a second!!!

34. Why drum up support and burn PR time for a real flash mob when you can insert disc and program your own virtual flash mob?

35. Why drum up support and burn PR time for a real flash mob when you can insert disc and program your own virtual flash mob?

36. i love the military, the internet and wall street so haha i hope they keep doing it

37. i love the military, the internet and wall street so haha i hope they keep doing it

38. Paul Panza (who are you) | Feb 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

They do this to collect data on people who will then be beamed (HAARP). Space pirates R US

39. Paul Panza (who are you) | Feb 20, 2011 at 10:48 am |

40. Anonymous | Feb 20, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

41. I wonder if a private individual were doing this, what would be the reaction of the government. Or from Google, which is about the same thing.

42. So now im realizing that government disinformation is far more insidious than i thought. A couple questions. What kinds of markers can help me distinguish between ‘personas’ and real people? And how can I make it clear as I’m online that I’m a real person?
    also, @ stealing sugar…i’ve not come across anything ever before on uploaded a human beings frequency? is that actually possible?

43. So now im realizing that government disinformation is far more insidious than i thought. A couple questions. What kinds of markers can help me distinguish between ‘personas’ and real people? And how can I make it clear as I’m online that I’m a real person?

44. ..i’ve not come across anything ever before on uploaded a human beings frequency? is that actually possible? can u direct me to more research/information on this?

45. Uh, he’s being funny you moron.

46. JohnnyUtah | Feb 20, 2011 at 7:57 pm |

47. that is either hilarious…or you are just an idiot.

48. You must be a fake persona….

49. For this to work efficiently only one person should use all ten personas as to avoid detection. Thereby they are not creating 500 new personas for 500 people. If that were the case anyone right now can go to AOL and sign on for multiple emails, and thereby create multiple personas. The real strange here is this — Why report this rather benign news through sinister glasses? If the U.S. military did not want you to know about this you would not know. They do not care because it means nothing. They have every need if you think of it to remain at certain times anonymous as possible on the web. This is their job. The worry would be if a terrorist on FBI’s Most Dangerous List goes out and starts ordering these by the droves. And they are now seen and being used by Allah’s chosen to kill the infidels or some madness they believe in. This story is about as sinister as me telling everyone that Adrian Chen, working under Military Intelligence is using this disinformation as its cover perfectly aligns with what really needs “noise clouds” around it. Is this more far-fetched? Hmm…Maybe I am providing you with disinformation about Adrian Chen so you will not look at the Air forces hidden agendas. Does anyone see the madness in conspiracy theory?

50. For this to work efficiently only one person should use all ten personas as to avoid detection. Thereby they are not creating 500 new personas for 500 people. If that were the case anyone right now can go to AOL and sign on for multiple emails, and thereby create multiple personas. The real strange here is this — Why report this rather benign news through sinister glasses? If the U.S. military did not want you to know about this you would not know. They do not care because it means nothing. They have every need if you think of it to remain at certain times anonymous as possible on the web. This is their job. The worry would be if a terrorist on FBI’s Most Dangerous List goes out and starts ordering these by the droves. And they are now seen and being used by Allah’s chosen to kill the infidels or some madness they believe in. This story is about as sinister as me telling everyone that Adrian Chen, working under Military Intelligence is using this disinformation as its cover perfectly aligns with what really needs “noise clouds” around it. Is this more far-fetched? Hmm…Maybe I am providing you with disinformation about Adrian Chen so you will not look at the Air forces hidden agendas. Does anyone see the madness in conspiracy theory?

51. Oh my gosh i could not stop laughing as I know there are people who actually believe this is true. Then I realized how do I know the author Steeling Sugar is being cynical and is not the one doing the believing? A person making this comment while not being cynical would actually not surprise me on this kind of website, not at all! Stealing Sugar, tell all, restore my faith in humanity, even if for but a second!!!

52. This sounds amazing. I hope I run into these folks.

53. This sounds amazing. I hope I run into these folks.

54. Oh Dooksup you kill joy you, she needs the truth come now.. KM truth is here, though like all good things comes with a price. Send us 50 good paper reasons why we should send you the remedy and cure for frquency violations that are tracking us as we speak. Simply send myself, that Dooksup and Steeling Sugar characters[my Gosh who picked your names for you guys? ] now send 50 bucks no you are the 50th caller of the night and have hereeby won a free frequecy cleanse. if it sound like I am making fun of you KM this is good, it means there is still hope for you kid!

55. Wait a minute! Are you saying people don’t alway use their real name on the internet?!

56. Wait a minute! Are you saying people don’t alway use their real name on the internet?!

57. I am not sure as of yet if I am on Candid Camera, no went off the air, or no I have been punked that is it! You silly guys are either all pulling my leg or in bad need of some education. Realizing I should stop being cynical as I posted below, some genuinly need a dose of reality. This article is maknig it sound like the Airforce will go out and buy 50 fake identifications through like boys life magazine.My gosh guys come on. Could you possibly get any more naive? For starters get clued in because either the author is rolling in laughter or as crazy as they come.Or he gets paid per written article which is more likely.

Personas have nothing to do with creating fake identities, at least like you are all thinking they are. The miilitary and the intelligence community can deal with creating fake identities as needed for their agents safety in certain assignments in hostile regions. State Department and FBI create fake identities for those in Witness Protection. Personas are not any thing similar. Personas used my military and the Fortune 500 companies and even myself create them for marketing , to simply predict buying behaviour and come up with best possible odds of knowing an outcome. Pepsi Cola may order 10 personas of who is most likely to buy their newly designed cans. So they are sent ot people expert in this marketing that may pin the average buyer as female, ages 15 to 23 and economic range of low income, career-students. They may include racial data as well, even how they may dress on average. This knowlege is golden in designing initial marketing campaigns.Knowing this help them with their marketing startegies. They may design the persona because they know the cans are a cute pink with hana Montana on the can. So they know liklihood of it being female and young are strong. Now Pepsi goes out to the Roller Rinks and Malls and gives these sample cans away to the 18 t0 23 crowd younger ladies. They know they are the primary buyers. Boys are not because they do better with blue cans. And cans of the American colors bring out the mainstream american population. They know that having gotten Michael Jackson to sing on the commercial would really appeal to the personas they created, many yrs ago of cours. Ridiculous example but this guys I hate to be a kill joy is all a persona is and is why the freakin Airforce for Gods freakin sake does not give a darn whether Mr. Adrien Chen finds out or not. There is nothing sinister here and the use of it may be classified it may not. Perhaps cops they need to come up with the most liklihood of how a kidnapper behaves and loooks. They go about profiling them. Yes you got it. Personas are the end product of a profiling session, the actual report. They are not for christ sakes here to train these military dudes to become personas nor barbie dolls or ken. come on now, Google the term if need be you have been duped.

Now wake me up and tel me I am the winner of something. I have been punked for certain here. And Adrien Chen either stop telling your readers fibs or put disclaimers in. I start seeing the manipulation of young minds as being the only thing evil on this website. Give them all a break. While most folk here are skeptical rerad carefully because some are very impressionable and are believing you. You owe them the truth in the end. I’m off the site for good, but really dude stop writing disinformaton for your own vicarious thrill or the lousy pay you recieve here, be kind to people not part of the problem. regards,

58. I am not sure as of yet if I am on Candid Camera, no went off the air, or no I have been punked that is it! You silly guys are either all pulling my leg or in bad need of some education. Realizing I should stop being cynical as I posted below, some genuinly need a dose of reality. This article is maknig it sound like the Airforce will go out and buy 50 fake identifications through like boys life magazine.My gosh guys come on. Could you possibly get any more naive? For starters get clued in because either the author is rolling in laughter or as crazy as they come.Or he gets paid per written article which is more likely.

59. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 9:59 am |

I wish I was fake…..

60. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 5:59 am |

I wish I was fake…..

61. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 10:01 am |

SPAM

62. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 10:01 am |

SPAM

63. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 10:01 am |

SPAM

64. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 10:06 am |

The internet is more “polluted” than the air….

65. WhiteRose | Feb 21, 2011 at 6:06 am |

The internet is more “polluted” than the air….

66. Bud Bundy | Feb 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |

No way bro. I really am Bud Bundy from the TV show!