Charity Group Pays Drug Addicts To Use Birth Control

714px-Ortho_tricyclenInstead of paying their way into rehab, Projective Prevention decided that spending money on birth control was a better choice. BBC reports:

A US charity says it has paid 26 female drug addicts in Britain to have contraceptive implants or coils fitted.

Project Prevention told BBC Radio 5 live it had given the women initial payments of £60 and a UK charity now wanted to trial a similar scheme.

The charity had controversially offered to pay addicts £200 to be sterilised when it launched in the UK in October.

But it has now said no women took up that offer because the British Medical Association did not back the proposal.

Instead, the charity said, it is focusing on paying addicts to use birth control.

[Continues at BBC]

16 Comments on "Charity Group Pays Drug Addicts To Use Birth Control"

1. Anonymous | Mar 14, 2011 at 6:47 pm |

I definitely have 5 on it.

2. Investinourftre | Mar 14, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

I definitely have 5 on it.

3. I feel like I’m gunna get some flak for saying this… But is this REALLY a bad thing? I know theres a lot of fuzzy ethical issues, but if this prevents the existence of just 1 crack baby, or heroin baby, or what not, I’m all for it.
    Sure sterilization could be overboard because its non-reversible, expensive, potentially dangerous, and/or surgical, but birth control is none of these (well except maybe the potentially dangerous part, but these people are already supposed to be chronic drug users…).

Rehab is also an option, but noone says these approaches have to be exclusive; they can be parallel approaches. Some people wont take to rehab because they are so far into the hard drug culture that they have no desire to leave.

4. I feel like I’m gunna get some flak for saying this… But is this REALLY a bad thing? I know theres a lot of fuzzy ethical issues, but if this prevents the existence of just 1 crack baby, or heroin baby, or what not, I’m all for it.

• DeepCough | Mar 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

I’ll grant that it’s slightly more ethical to give “drug addicts” birth control instead of forced sterilization.

• Ironaddict06 | Mar 15, 2011 at 11:33 am |

Of course your going to get major flak because you used simple logic. In society there are certain segments in the population that tend to be addicted to drugs or a particular drug. Plus everyone has the right to have a child-right? If there were clinics in every city that offered to pay women and MEN and offer free birth control to drug addicts and alcholics would be wise decision. A child should not have to suffer the unfortunate fate of being born to a drug addict.

5. Other Mr. T | Mar 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm |

On your mark, get set – let the lawsuits begin!

6. Other Mr. T | Mar 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |

On your mark, get set – let the lawsuits begin!

7. DeepCough | Mar 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |

8. I hope you’re not implying that theres no such thing as addiction…

9. Ironaddict06 | Mar 15, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

10. I agree to the comment of Chaorder.

11. I agree to the comment of Chaorder.

12. Mary Microgram | Jun 21, 2011 at 9:11 am |

I don’t disagree with this at all.  I just think they should also pay the mentally ill, financially challenged, children under 18 and carriers of genetic diseases to use birth control as well.  There is nothing inherently worse about having an addict as a parent than being born into one of these other situations.

13. Mary Microgram | Jun 21, 2011 at 5:11 am |