California Man Pays Off $6,500 Credit Card Bill In Pennies

PennyUPI reports:

MIRA MESA — California man upset with his bank for disallowing his requested refinance said he decided to pay off his $6,500 credit card bill entirely with pennies.

Thierry Cahez of San Diego County rolled 650,000 pennies in plastic, loaded them into crates and drove the lot to his Mira Mesa bank, KABC-TV, Los Angeles, reported.

Cahez was turned away by the bank several times but eventually was sent to a branch with a vault large enough to handle the coins.

Cahez said he opted to pay his credit card bill with pennies because he was turned down for a refinance and for the amount of charges and fees on his credit card, KABC-TV said Tuesday.

For more information, see original article.

41 Comments on "California Man Pays Off $6,500 Credit Card Bill In Pennies"

1. DeepCough | Mar 30, 2011 at 4:38 am |

The fun part is that debt collectors have to accept pennies, because, after all, it’s still legal tender.

2. DeepCough | Mar 30, 2011 at 12:38 am |

• Rmasterstyle | Mar 30, 2011 at 12:50 am |

3604.557 lb’s plus the plastic? I doubt he was driving this around. Plus if he could both afford to pay it. And he could afford the gas to drive it (the weight of that many pennies) around, why was he desperate for a refinance?

• I am a debt collector and my reaction would be “Thank you, sir.” Payment in full is payment in full.

• That’s a myth. Only the Federal Reserve is required to accept any legal tender. You don’t even have to accept cash at all.

3. Rmasterstyle | Mar 30, 2011 at 4:50 am |

4. debbie downer ^

5. wickedwd5000 | Mar 30, 2011 at 5:45 am |

a 3/4 ton pick up and a shitty 4×8 lawnmower trailer could haul that much weight around easily.

6. What a champion!

7. What a champion!

8. I am a debt collector and my reaction would be “Thank you, sir.” Payment in full is payment in full.

9. Anonymous | Mar 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

Now if we all did this, we could have some real fun.

10. Investinourftre | Mar 30, 2011 at 10:05 am |

Now if we all did this, we could have some real fun.

11. Anonymous | Mar 30, 2011 at 4:05 pm |

Considering the price of copper these days he could have sold all that copper for scrap and made more than $6500 from it. Ironic that pennies are often worth more in weight than there face value…
    Of course there’s that little detail about it being a federal offense to sell it as scrap copper. Bummer…

12. GoodDoktorBad | Mar 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm |

13. On this side of the line, we had a guy pay his income tax with pennies some years ago.

The noise THAT created! 😀

14. On this side of the line, we had a guy pay his income tax with pennies some years ago.

The noise THAT created! 😀

15. Pennies hardly have any copper left in them, I think they are mostly zinc or something now.

16. Anonymous | Mar 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm |

Too true -the older the pennie the more copper is in it. Good point.

17. Bud Bundy | Mar 30, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

I’m shocked that he hasn’t been charged with financial terrorism.

18. Bud Bundy | Mar 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm |

I’m shocked that he hasn’t been charged with financial terrorism.

19. Where’d he get all those pennies? I suppose he had to go to a few places… Sounds like more trouble than it was worth. I will however think about doing it if I can again earn enough to cover rent, utilities, food AND credit cards. Also, maybe 50 bucks or so at a time so they have to waste their time processing the paperwork or whatnot.

…Anyone have plans to rid the records a la Fight Club? Just askin’.

20. Where’d he get all those pennies? I suppose he had to go to a few places… Sounds like more trouble than it was worth. I will however think about doing it if I can again earn enough to cover rent, utilities, food AND credit cards. Also, maybe 50 bucks or so at a time so they have to waste their time processing the paperwork or whatnot.

…Anyone have plans to rid the records a la Fight Club? Just askin’.

• Yea, but harassing some bank clerk you don’t even know because you have bad credit is so much fun…

• Just because someone has bills doesn’t mean they have bad credit. Chase cancelled my credit card because I asked them to lower my APR. All the other cc companies lowered when I asked. And why did I ask? Because I deserved it.

Further, if one goes into the bank more than once to make a ridiculous payment, that’s spreading the harassment = more fun.

21. That’s a myth. Only the Federal Reserve is required to accept any legal tender. You don’t even have to accept cash at all.

22. Yea, but harassing some bank clerk you don’t even know because you have bad credit is so much fun…

23. Secretchef1 | Mar 31, 2011 at 1:58 pm |

If this guy came to me to pay his bill in that fashion I would feel it was my duty to count it before I could issue a receipt for payment. This may take a while and I would find the time to do it. Thoroughly. He WOULD be sorry.

24. Secretchef1 | Mar 31, 2011 at 9:58 am |

25. Everyone should do this.

26. Everyone should do this.

27. Just because someone has bills doesn’t mean they have bad credit. Chase cancelled my credit card because I asked them to lower my APR. All the other cc companies lowered when I asked. And why did I ask? Because I deserved it.

28. ws.chewy.sj | Apr 1, 2011 at 5:16 am |

moneys money , i wouldve done it too

29. ws.chewy.sj | Apr 1, 2011 at 1:16 am |

moneys money , i wouldve done it too

30. Cushatlaunch | Apr 2, 2011 at 12:37 am |

He was obviously wealthy or foolish. Pennies minted before 1982 are worth about 3 times their face value because of their metallic content. Oops, I let it slip.

31. Cushatlaunch | Apr 1, 2011 at 8:37 pm |