Small Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming for Years … (Video)

Jack D. RipperCharles Q. Choi writes for National Geographic News:

Even a regional nuclear war could spark “unprecedented” global cooling and reduce rainfall for years, according to U.S. government computer models. Widespread famine and disease would likely follow, experts speculate.

During the Cold War a nuclear exchange between superpowers—such as the one feared for years between the United States and the former Soviet Union—was predicted to cause a “nuclear winter.”

In that scenario hundreds of nuclear explosions spark huge fires, whose smoke, dust, and ash blot out the sun for weeks amid a backdrop of dangerous radiation levels. Much of humanity eventually dies of starvation and disease.

20 Comments on "Small Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming for Years … (Video)"

1. Bud Bundy | Mar 3, 2011 at 9:38 am |

Cutting my dick off will prevent accidental pregnancy. Doesn’t mean its a good idea, does it?

2. Bud Bundy | Mar 3, 2011 at 9:38 am |

3. Bud Bundy | Mar 3, 2011 at 5:38 am |

• I’m not sure this article is in any way suggesting that a stalling of “global warming” using this method would be a good thing. The title however is rather odd to me in this respect.

• Dclarkesmith | Mar 6, 2011 at 4:52 am |

I don’t know how ugly is your dick?

4. DeepCough | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm |

“Fry: Good thing global warming never happened.

Leela: Actually it did, but luckily nuclear winter canceled it out.”

“Xmas Story,” Futurama

5. DeepCough | Mar 3, 2011 at 11:32 am |

“Fry: Good thing global warming never happened.

Leela: Actually it did, but luckily nuclear winter canceled it out.”

“Xmas Story,” Futurama

6. This wins the award for the stupidest idea ever. I’m a free speech advocate, but I think Choi should be publicly flogged just for propagating this absurdity.

7. This wins the award for the stupidest idea ever. I’m a free speech advocate, but I think Choi should be publicly flogged just for propagating this absurdity.

8. I’m not sure this article is in any way suggesting that a regional stalling “global warming” would be a good thing. The title however is rather odd to me in this respect.

9. The nuclear winter concept confuses me a bit. They say it will dramatically reduce temperatures for a long time after a small nuclear war. My question though is this: how many nukes were a’sploded in the research and testing phases of its development so many decades ago. I would bet it would be more than even a “small nuclear war”. I’m curious to know if there was this noticeable drop in world-wide temperature during and after this time.

10. The nuclear winter concept confuses me a bit. They say it will dramatically reduce temperatures for a long time after a small nuclear war. My question though is this: how many nukes were a’sploded in the research and testing phases of its development so many decades ago. I would bet it would be more than even a “small nuclear war”. I’m curious to know if there was this noticeable drop in world-wide temperature during and after this time.

• Brian Dunning just did a Skeptoid episode on nuclear winter. His take on it was we don’t have very much empirical data go on, so it’s hard to predict how large or small an effect a given nuclear exchange would have. There was no “testing phase” — it’s mostly theoretical, as what you really need to know is how much dust a burning city would kick into the atmosphere after you nuke it, and that has fortunately been a pretty rare event.

• what do you mean there was no testing phase? where do we get all this stock footage of nuclear explosions? I’m sure we didnt just have 5000 camera angles on hiroshima and nagasaki.

• Those are all in deserts and at sea. Nuclear winter is supposed to result from the dust of burning cities. Since we haven’t tested may bombs on actual urban centers, the input variables are pretty subjective. If you’re interested in Dunning’s take on it:

11. Brian Dunning just did a Skeptoid episode on nuclear winter. His take on it was we don’t have very much empirical data go on, so it’s hard to predict how large or small an effect a given nuclear exchange would have. There was no “testing phase” — it’s mostly theoretical, as what you really need to know is how much dust a burning city would kick into the atmosphere after you nuke it, and that has fortunately been a pretty rare event.

12. what do you mean there was no testing phase? where do we get all this stock footage of nuclear explosions? I’m sure we didnt just have 5000 camera angles on hiroshima and nagasaki.

13. what do you mean there was no testing phase? where do we get all this stock footage of nuclear explosions? I’m sure we didnt just have 5000 camera angles on hiroshima and nagasaki.

14. Those are all in deserts and at sea. Nuclear winter is supposed to result from the dust of burning cities. Since we haven’t tested may bombs on actual urban centers, the input variables are pretty subjective. If you’re interested in Dunning’s take on it:

15. Dclarkesmith | Mar 6, 2011 at 8:52 am |

I don’t know how ugly is your dick?