www.mysanantonio.comIn all seriousness, what is it about chain-restaurant fast food that so often drives Americans into insane, violent rages? San Antonio Express-News reports on local mayhem:

The price of the Beefy Crunch Burrito had gone up from 99 cents to $1.49 and the man at the Rigsby Road Taco Bell drive-thru had just ordered seven.

The fast food customer was so disgruntled by the price hike he shot an air gun at the manager, displayed an assault rifle and pistol while in the restaurant’s parking lot, fled as police were called, and pointed one of his weapons at three officers who pulled him over. Fleeing when they opened fire, he barricaded himself in his hotel room — all over $3.50 plus additional tax. All three of his weapons were found to be air-powered and not firearms.

The final incident in the burrito-triggered spree happened Sunday afternoon at the Rodeway Inn on North W.W. White Road, engaging SWAT negotiators in a more than three-hour standoff, according to officials and witnesses.

Ricardo Jones, 37, was charged with two felony counts of aggravated assault against a public servant.
Jones was taken into custody about 6:45 p.m. Sunday after officials used tear gas to get him out of the motel room where he was staying. Police recovered the rifle and two handguns, Benavides said.

59 Comments on "Texas Man Fires Gun, Engages In Motel-Room Police Standoff Over Taco Bell Price Increase"

1. Rex Vestri | Mar 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm |

Must be all those chemical ‘ingredients’ in the 12% (or more) of their taco meat that ain’t meat. Maybe all that MSG fried his judgment.

2. Rex Vestri | Mar 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

3. Welcome to Texas

4. Simiantongue | Mar 25, 2011 at 6:01 pm |

Everyone has their breaking point. What’s yours?

5. Simiantongue | Mar 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm |

Everyone has their breaking point. What’s yours?

6. Open Carry working out well for ya there, is it, Texas? It’s not like anyone saw this coming…I mean, other than EVERYBODY.

7. Open Carry working out well for ya there, is it, Texas? It’s not like anyone saw this coming…I mean, other than EVERYBODY.

8. “In all seriousness, what is it about chain-restaurant fast food that so often drives Americans into insane, violent rages?”

It messes up their gut bacteria? http://disinfo.com/2011/03/knowing-it-in-your-gut-cross-talk-between-human-gut-bacteria-and-brain/

On the other hand, anyone who would choose Toxic Hell over actual Mexican food probably has something wrong with their heads already.

9. “In all seriousness, what is it about chain-restaurant fast food that so often drives Americans into insane, violent rages?”

It messes up their gut bacteria? http://www.disinfo.com/2011/03/knowing-it-in-your-gut-cross-talk-between-human-gut-bacteria-and-brain/

10. DeepCough | Mar 25, 2011 at 6:59 pm |

Never thought rising food prices at a fast food chain would be cause for revolt.

11. DeepCough | Mar 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

12. Other Mr. T (I pity THIS fool) | Mar 25, 2011 at 7:09 pm |

I’d rather eat garbage and live under a bridge, than work in a Taco Bell.
    If you got nothing left to lose, you can easily lose your mind! No worries though, Ricardo will be well-fed for free, in jail, where he belongs.

13. Other Mr. T (I pity THIS fool) | Mar 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm |

I’d rather eat garbage and live under a bridge, than work in a Taco Bell.

14. I spent 31 years of my life in Texas. It has NOTHING on Georgia
    for sheer stupidity. If I could only escape this god forsaken state….

15. I spent 31 years of my life in Texas. It has NOTHING on Georgia
    for sheer stupidity. If I could only escape this god forsaken state….

16. Anonymous | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm |

WHAT?!?! When did it go up 50 cents? Ooh i’m freakin angry.

17. Anonymous | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm |

WHAT?!?! When did it go up 50 cents? Ooh i’m freakin angry.

18. Investinourftre | Mar 25, 2011 at 4:07 pm |

WHAT?!?! When did it go up 50 cents? Ooh i’m freakin angry.

19. I don’t blame him.
    Kill!!!!!

20. I don’t blame him.
    Kill!!!!!

21. It’s called DESPAIRATION and we will be seeing a lot more of it. I price hike today means nothing to eat tomorrow. I wonder how long they will put him away for threatening people with air? The majority of recent shootings in one city have been done by police, reported by media as though perfectly acceptable, then never mentioned again. At least (hopefully) this guy will live to tell about it.

22. It’s called DESPAIRATION and we will be seeing a lot more of it. I price hike today means nothing to eat tomorrow. I wonder how long they will put him away for threatening people with air? The majority of recent shootings in one city have been done by police, reported by media as though perfectly acceptable, then never mentioned again. At least (hopefully) this guy will live to tell about it.

• hucksawyer | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

Exactly! A lot of people are missing the real issue. Unemployment rages, prices rise, and so the people, kept ignorant through school and the corporate media, are getting angry. Unable to express their anger politically, they turn to mindless violence. This unfortunate man shouldn’t receive more than a slap on the wrist. As you say, we’ll be seeing more incidents of this type until the public obtains relief through patrician mercy or preferably through proletarian action.

23. Chapped O Ring | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm |

My shit smell like crap after eating at Taco Bell. You need plenty of TP after eating at TB.

24. Chapped O Ring | Mar 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm |

25. SoSpecial | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

Wait you mean to tell me the the best 99 cent fast food item on the market has gone up 50 cents? WTF that’s all I can stand to eat at the place.

26. SoSpecial | Mar 25, 2011 at 4:57 pm |

27. While we are at it…
    Bikini-clad woman in wild Burger King melee caught on video

28. While we are at it…
    Bikini-clad woman in wild Burger King melee caught on video

29. I always wondered what happened to Beavis after his show ended.

30. HAHA, that made my day. On a side note, they supposed to be making new episodes right?

31. @VoxMagi

Texas does not have an open carry law. It has a concealed carry law.

If this guy had REAL guns, I would hope a citizen with a properly licensed weapon would be able to stop him. The cops aren’t everywhere.

Just for the record, the street crime rate has gone WAY down since states like Texas and Florida passed concealed carry laws, while in states like California it has gone UP.

It’s not like anyone saw this coming… I mean, other than EVERYBODY!

32. @VoxMagi

Texas does not have an open carry law. It has a concealed carry law.

It’s not like anyone saw this coming… I mean, other than EVERYBODY!

33. Haha, this is what happens when you arm stupid people! Enjoy “United States of Idiocracy”

34. Haha, this is what happens when you arm stupid people! Enjoy “United States of Idiocracy”

35. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 12:33 am |

36. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 12:59 am |

“what is it about chain-restaurant fast food that so often drives Americans into insane, violent rages?”

Excitotoxins, steroid hormones, HFCS, and a lot of salt

37. JoiquimCouteau | Mar 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm |

Excitotoxins, steroid hormones, HFCS, and a lot of salt

• GoodDoktorBad | Mar 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

Yeah, but he never got to eat his Beefy Crunch Burritos….which are likely superior to anything he will get to eat in jail.

38. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 1:29 am |

Hey, 50 cents is a quite a price change especially if you don’t have the extra $3.50. I think the gunplay a bit extreme though. To bad he didn’t read the menu.

39. GoodDoktorBad | Mar 25, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

40. grooveboss | Mar 26, 2011 at 2:10 pm |

oh no. Please don’t tell him that the ground beef is only 35% beef and the rest is love (for profits)

41. grooveboss | Mar 26, 2011 at 10:10 am |

42. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm |

Your shit smells like crap? Amazing! My shit smells like shit…..how does this happen?

43. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm |

Looser than what?

44. Anonymous | Mar 26, 2011 at 5:01 pm |

45. Really, the fact that Taco Bell food used to be so cheap was the only reason to put yourself through eating it.

46. Really, the fact that Taco Bell food used to be so cheap was the only reason to put yourself through eating it.

47. SeamusDAmadan | Mar 27, 2011 at 12:27 am |

After eating Taco Bell, obviosly his bowels.

48. Yes, that’s what I’ve heard too. Mike Judge should have plenty of time to work on them now.