This Video Will Tell You If You’re Prone to Mind Control

HypnoticSpiralOddly the original page seems to be done, here’s the cached version from New Scientist:

Are you easily influenced by what others do and say? If so, you’re just the type of person that hypnotists, magicians and mind-readers seek out as you’re more likely to fall for their mind tricks.

In this video, psychologist Richard Wiseman gives you the chance to find out how suggestible you are. Give it a go — even the most hardened skeptics might be surprised by the results.

If you tried the test, how far did your hands move? According to Wiseman, if they stayed level or shifted just a few inches apart then you aren’t that suggestible. But if they moved more than a few inches, you’re the perfect candidate for a magic trick.

Illustration: Lawrencedwolf (CC) via Wikimedia Commons

More on New Scientist (cached)

74 Comments on "This Video Will Tell You If You’re Prone to Mind Control"

1. I thought the trick was going to be if he could get me to hold my hand out in front of me…

2. I thought the trick was going to be if he could get me to hold my hand out in front of me…

3. I thought the trick was going to be if he could get me to hold my hand out in front of me…

• GoodDoktorBad | Mar 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

Yeah, I think if you take the test, you have already submitted to mind control….

4. Butter Knife | Mar 20, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

Pretty much level, though my left hand *felt* lower than my right hand before I opened my eyes. I assume this means I’d be a poorer mark for anything physical than mental tricks.

Pretty cool, though.

5. Butter Knife | Mar 20, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

Pretty cool, though.

6. my hands ended up a good 18 inches apart..

7. my hands ended up a good 18 inches apart..

8. Anonymous | Mar 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

9. I raised my left hand to flip him off after the video was done. Does that count?

10. I raised my left hand to flip him off after the video was done. Does that count?

11. I raised my left hand to flip him off after the video was done. Does that count?

12. I raised my left hand to flip him off after the video was done. Does that count?

13. Stayed in place.

14. Stayed in place.

15. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

16. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

17. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

18. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

19. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

20. huh. i totally -felt- as though my hands were moving, but they didn’t move much at all, maybe 1/4 inch

21. dilly willy | Mar 20, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

or does it mean you have more of an imagination if your hands are further apart? I watched it the first time and didn’t follow his orders. I thought it was a trick to see if I’ve even do what he said. Then I watched it again and tried it. my hands didn’t move.

22. dilly willy | Mar 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

23. Very weird thing happened to me. My hands moved about 8 inches, but my right hand (helium balloon) moved down, and my left hand moved up (books). And I couldn’t feel them moving at all…

24. Very weird thing happened to me. My hands moved about 8 inches, but my right hand (helium balloon) moved down, and my left hand moved up (books). And I couldn’t feel them moving at all…

25. dilly willy | Mar 21, 2011 at 2:17 am |

you were probably trying to compensate for imagined feelings of weight and weightlessness…. That’s what I thought might happen to me but it didn’t.

26. David Kelly | Mar 21, 2011 at 4:11 am |

My balloon was yellow and the books were all Wally Lamb novels – what does this mean?

27. David Kelly | Mar 21, 2011 at 4:11 am |

28. DrDavidKelly | Mar 21, 2011 at 12:11 am |

29. Drakken13 | Mar 21, 2011 at 6:21 am |

What happens if the book hand is higher then the baloon?

30. Drakken13 | Mar 21, 2011 at 2:21 am |

What happens if the book hand is higher then the baloon?

• Probably means you’re ambidextrous or dyslexic, I had to watch it once and then think about which hand was which before it worked

31. My left arm fell off and my right is now in orbit.

32. My left arm fell off and my right is now in orbit.

33. Mind control making me do everything twice, everything twice.

34. Mind control making me do everything twice, everything twice.

35. Guys, my hands were like 1 1/2 inches apart, I’m afraid people are totally controlling my minds now OMG :OOOO

36. Guys, my hands were like 1 1/2 inches apart, I’m afraid people are totally controlling my minds now OMG :OOOO

37. Guys, my hands were like 1 1/2 inches apart, I’m afraid people are totally controlling my minds now OMG :OOOO

38. chinagreenelvis | Mar 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm |

This video is bullshit. I accidentally opened my eyes just before he mentioned the balloon being tied to my right hand, and lo and behold my right hand had already moved about an inch above my left. This is an illusion, a trick, and one that clearly takes advantage of some kind of phenomenon in natural human motor function.

39. chinagreenelvis | Mar 21, 2011 at 9:27 am |

• chinagreenelvis | Mar 21, 2011 at 9:28 am |

And by “accidentally,” I mean I wanted to make sure that nobody in my office was watching me do this very stupid thing.

40. chinagreenelvis | Mar 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

41. same here but only about 2 inches difference

42. this is not trickery it’s an old self hypnosis test. it’s got nothing to do with mind control no one can control you unless you wnat them to. if your hands dont move it simply means that your proberly too left brained. with practise your hands will move.

43. this is not trickery it’s an old self hypnosis test. it’s got nothing to do with mind control no one can control you unless you wnat them to. if your hands dont move it simply means that your proberly too left brained. with practise your hands will move.

44. lol i dun get it D:

REAL MONEY for looking at an ad for 20 secs . Not a bad deal eh? Even more money for referrals…doesn’t even require a credit card…
    It adds up nicely and is at least worth taking a look.

45. Danceintherains | Mar 22, 2011 at 4:54 am |

Both mine dropped a few inches, but stayed level. Probably means I’m lazy and out of shape.

46. Danceintherains | Mar 22, 2011 at 12:54 am |

47. He’s giving you the middle finger while your eyes are closed, watch it again.

48. He’s giving you the middle finger while your eyes are closed, watch it again.

49. Threedinium | Mar 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |

Didn’t work. Maybe it’s because I was wearing my tinfoil hat.

50. Threedinium | Mar 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

Didn’t work. Maybe it’s because I was wearing my tinfoil hat.

51. That’s funny, he made the same video from the personality perspective. The people who didn’t follow the directions at all were shown a picture of a puppy and told they are skeptical. The more a person’s hands were apart, the more imaginative the person is. If your hands didn’t move at all, that was something else.

52. That’s funny, he made the same video from the personality perspective. The people who didn’t follow the directions at all were shown a picture of a puppy and told they are skeptical. The more a person’s hands were apart, the more imaginative the person is. If your hands didn’t move at all, that was something else.

53. Probably means you’re ambidextrous or dyslexic, I had to watch it once and then think about which hand was which before it worked

54. Crazy_kizmet | Mar 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

You are dislexic.

55. just did it, I´m kind of suggestible, when I opened my eyes, everybody in the office was looking me doing the Nazi salute gesture…

56. just did it, I´m kind of suggestible, when I opened my eyes, everybody in the office was looking me doing the Nazi salute gesture…

57. hmmm … my left hand raised and my right hand lowered – about an inch or two . . .

58. hmmm … my left hand raised and my right hand lowered – about an inch or two . . .

59. Digimaton | Mar 27, 2011 at 11:16 am |

Try this.

put your hands out in front of you so they are roughly level, with palm facing the ground, and close your eyes.

Now hold them there for 50 second.

Open your eyes…amazing…they have moved…and no one said anything.

What a crock.

60. Digimaton | Mar 27, 2011 at 7:16 am |

Try this.

Now hold them there for 50 second.

Open your eyes…amazing…they have moved…and no one said anything.

What a crock.

61. My left hand ended up about two inches higher… subconscious over-correction?

62. My left hand ended up about two inches higher… subconscious over-correction?

63. my hands didnt even move one bit this is fake

64. my hands didnt even move one bit this is fake

65. hunterkiller | Mar 27, 2011 at 10:23 pm |

My hands stayed level, my mind is an impregnable fortress.

66. hunterkiller | Mar 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

My hands stayed level, my mind is an impregnable fortress.

67. You Are An Animal | Mar 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm |

The opposite happened. my “weighted” arm went up and the “lifted” arm went down….

68. Anarchy Pony | Mar 29, 2011 at 7:28 pm |