Is Classical Music ‘Still Effective’ At Dispersing Loitering Teens?

Are they hearing Mozart or Salieri? The LA Times reports:

With all sorts of the funding cuts hitting orchestras during the recent recession, there is still one aspect of classical music that local governments find valuable — the music’s unfailing ability to disperse loitering teenagers from public areas.

Whether its Handel piped into New York’s Port Authority or Tchaikovsky at a public library in London, the sound of classical music is apparently so repellent to teenagers that it sends them scurrying away like frightened mice. Private institutions also find it useful: chains such as McDonald’s and 7-Eleven, not to mention countless shopping malls around the world, have relied on classical music to shoo away potentially troublesome kids.

For more information, see original article.

14 Comments on "Is Classical Music ‘Still Effective’ At Dispersing Loitering Teens?"

1. An evolutionary response will then go on to create a new breed of teenager, much like the super bacteria who are resistant to anti-bacterial soap: we will now have teens who are looking to loiter and have a taste for classical music. Beware the future!

2. An evolutionary response will then go on to create a new breed of teenager, much like the super bacteria who are resistant to anti-bacterial soap: we will now have teens who are looking to loiter and have a taste for classical music. Beware the future!

• DeepCough | Apr 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm |

You know what this means right: we will have little bands of Droogies getting hepped up on synthemesc/vellocet/drencrom laced milk, beating homeless men, stealing cars, breaking and entering, raping women, and afterward, they will “slooshy” to their favorite composer, Ludwig Van Beethoven.

• Gregor_Grigorio | Apr 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |

It’s already begun. Ever heard of Emilie Autumn? The Plague Rats are coming…

3. justagirl | Apr 6, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

instrumental remakes of pop music at the grocery store makes me want to scurry away. i found that breathing slowly and singing “row row row your boat” to myself calms my nerves and makes the hideous “music” almost vanish. that movie was sweet, too.

4. justagirl | Apr 6, 2011 at 9:35 am |

• Bud Bundy | Apr 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm |

I relax by visualising myself brutally murdering and dismembering those around me.

• justagirl | Apr 7, 2011 at 8:46 am |

whilst smiling kindly to all that pass? (lol). i never could figure what to do with the ashes… we are some sick people.

5. Grimblorski | Apr 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm |

well lets just hope A Clockwork Orange never finds itself in Youth pop fashion.
    “Viddy well little brother, viddy well”

6. Grimblorski | Apr 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

well lets just hope A Clockwork Orange never finds itself in Youth pop fashion.
    “Viddy well little brother, viddy well”

7. DeepCough | Apr 6, 2011 at 6:50 pm |

8. Anonymous | Apr 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm |

It’s already begun. Ever heard of Emilie Autumn? The Plague Rats are coming…

9. Bud Bundy | Apr 6, 2011 at 11:26 pm |