Maikel NabilVia BBC News:

A military court in Egypt has sentenced an internet activist to three years in jail for criticising the armed forces. Maikel Nabil was arrested last month for blogs that criticised the army’s role during anti-government protests.

The 26-year-old is thought to be the first blogger jailed in Egypt since the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak.

Activists said the trial set a dangerous precedent at a time when Egypt was trying to move away from the alleged abuses of the Mubarak era. Lawyers representing Maikel Nabil have criticised the conduct of the military court.

“We are in a state of shock because [on Sunday] they told us the decision would be on Tuesday, so the family and lawyer left. Afterwards the court announced its decision,” said Gamal Eid, a lawyer who heads the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information.

Mr Eid said the trial was unfair because the court did not even consider the content of Mr Nabil’s blog posts.

For more information, see original article.

, , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Egyptian Blogger Maikel Nabil, Critical of Military, Jailed By New Egyptian Government

1. Ironaddict06 April 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

HahahahahHehehehe. What did you think was going to happen? These young idealist live in a dream world. Laura, Laura, Laura, Laura Logan where are you? You and Anderson Blooper created this monster. Was Murbak harsh and cruel? Yes. But compared to other Mideast countries-Egypt was a modern country. Now it is going to be much worse..Much. Where is the Blooper and Laura now? I thought for sure Anderson Blooper would go back to Egypt to tell the Egyptian military “This time don’t slap me. Pull my hair, I like my hair pulled.”

2. Ironaddict06 April 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

• Andrew April 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

So, are you glad Lara Logan was raped?

• Ironaddict06 April 15, 2011 at 10:49 am #

No. But Laura thinking she was above everyone else because she was A. a reporter B. an American C. thinking that a revolution would be peacefull, and D. thinking Muslem men would respect her, because she was A and B.
        Why isn;t Anderson Cooper in Egypt now?

• Andrew April 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

I didn’t know she thought like that. You must have paid much closer enough attention to her than I ever have. Either that or you’re psychic.

3. Andrew April 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

So, are you glad Lara Logan was raped?

4. Hadrian999 April 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm #

gee I’m glad they had that real democratic revolution, sorted things right out

5. Hadrian999 April 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

gee I’m glad they had that real democratic revolution, sorted things right out

6. Malkiyahu April 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Lara Logan was raped? That’s hot.

7. Malkiyahu April 14, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Lara Logan was raped? That’s hot.

8. Ironaddict06 April 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm #

Why isn;t Anderson Cooper in Egypt now?

9. Andrew April 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm #