Lauren Seifert reports on CBS News:

Barely hours after filing his intent with the FEC to run for the 2012 Republican nomination for president, Fred Karger stopped by “Washington Unplugged” to formally announce his decision.

Speaking with CBS News congressional correspondent Nancy Cordes Karger said, “I’ve filed to run for President of the United States.” (watch above)

Explaining what brought him to this moment Karger said, “It was the culmination of a lifetime of political work. It was a very exciting moment.”

This is the first time Karger has run for political office, but he has been a behind-the-scenes player for 35 years — serving as an advisor to Presidents Ford, Reagan and George H. W. Bush.

Read More: CBS News

, , ,

22 Responses to First Openly Gay Presidential Candidate, A Republican, Fred Karger Announces 2012 Run

1. AnonSymo0us April 6, 2011 at 5:22 am #

What a queer notion. I’d be simply flabbergasted if this chicken were to cross the road, hard indeed for flaccid idealists. Perhaps he won’t have to take a backseat to the front-runner and we’ll all come out ahead through the backdoor of the erection. His helmeted warriors could then spread all over the globe with ease.

2. AnonSymo0us April 6, 2011 at 1:22 am #

3. justagirl April 6, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

i’d feel safer if the first gay president were female. ya know? (lol).

4. justagirl April 6, 2011 at 9:37 am #

i’d feel safer if the first gay president were female. ya know? (lol).

• justagirl April 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

ps – my mother is a sadistic lesbian… so don’t be hatin’.

5. 5by5 April 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

As a gay person, allow me to say this — I don’t care if you’re gay, I care if you’re Republican. The latter is where you lose my vote.

As a woman, I’d also like to add that I I don’t “vote my ovaries” either. Michelle Bachmann is a woman, but I wouldn’t trust her to walk my dog, much less run my country simply because she’s a woman. By contrast, I’ve vote for someone like Barbara Boxer, or Russ Feingold, or Bernie Sanders in a HEARTBEAT because they’re on the correct side of the ISSUES.

6. 5by5 April 6, 2011 at 10:27 am #

• PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 11:15 am #

Republicans and Democrats are two different sides of the same bent and broken coin (both bend over willingly/gleefully for Wall Street and Big Business, the masters who are pulling the puppet strings) and it is about time we started thinking about changing currency and/or eliminating it once and for all…

I would love to see a new law passed: you MUST vote or you lose your citizenship. Voting Day becomes a holiday. Also, get rid of the electoral college: everyone’s vote counts and everyone is voting. This would – I suspect – do away with the two-party system once and for all. The Tea Party could do their thing and so could the Green/Rainbow. Hell, there could be a hundred different parties…don’t see something you like? Your issues aren’t being properly addressed? Then start your own party and more power to you!

I know, I know…living in a fantasy world here. But it is fun to think about. And there is no real reason it could not happen, except that those who are currently in control of the two-party system (ie: Wall Street and Big Business) want to maintain their grip and thus the status-quo of Coke vs. Pepsi.

I am a gay man and I find it amusing that I will most likely be voting for a straight Republican (ie: Ron Paul) for the first time in my life. I voted for Clinton but realize now that he was just as bad as Reagan and Bush Senior and then voted for Obama but realize now that he is just as bad as Bush Junior. I will vote for Paul (assuming he runs and that there is not a better qualified progressive candidate) because – of all the current potential candidates – I agree with him the most when it comes to economic issues and foreign relations.

Admittedly, I do not agree with Paul on a lot of social issues but I am willing to put them on the back-burner for now while we focus on (what I personally perceive to be) much more serious issues. I would LOVE to see Paul run with Kucinich…that would be amazing! Again, I am probably living in a dream world…

• PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 11:17 am #

Should have said: WS & BB…want to maintain their grip and thus the status-quo of Coke vs. Pepsi (both of which are bad for you)

• Ironaddict06 April 6, 2011 at 11:18 am #

Yea, your right, as long as the person has a D next to their name they are on the correct side of issues. Libya is just war. What is taking BHO so long to send in the American troops to Lybia? In 2008 BHO didn’t go far enough with healthcare. In 2012 BHO needs to let the public know they will have free healthcare, free eye care, and free dental care for all. To achieve Mrs. BHO goal of defeating childhood obesity-all children from PreK-12 will be served breakfast and lunch with snacks in the afternoon only from that major food groups. Children will be given a monthly survey on what they eat at home, and what their parents serve them. If parents are found to serve the children unhealth foods, the parents will be sent to education camp to teach them about proper nutrition.

7. PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm #

8. PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

9. Ironaddict06 April 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm #

10. Anonymous April 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Great, now we can’t call the president a cock-sucker without offending gay people. It’s a conspiracy…..lol

11. GoodDoktorBad April 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

• PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

HA! Thanks for that :)

12. justagirl April 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

ps – my mother is a sadistic lesbian… so don’t be hatin’.

13. PerhapsNextTime April 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

HA! Thanks for that :)

14. DeepCough April 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Uh……. How should I say this? This guy must really like getting anally fucked to wanna run for the Republican party presidential nomination.

15. DeepCough April 6, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

16. Will April 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

I hope Hillery Clinton runs…into traffic, with this guy skipping beside her.

17. Will April 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

I hope Hillery Clinton runs…into traffic, with this guy skipping beside her.