Dream PoliceBeware the “Dream Police” in (honor) of our U.S. ‘Tax Day”! …  Will we ever have “dream police” to look forward to…? This Cheap Trick song is unfortunately ominous now. Pallab Ghosh writes in BBC News:

A US researcher has said he plans to electronically record and interpret dreams. Writing in the journal Nature, researchers said they have developed a system capable of recording higher-level brain activity.

“We would like to read people’s dreams,” says the lead scientist Dr Moran Cerf. The aim is not to interlope, but to extend our understanding of how and why people dream.

For centuries, people have been fascinated by dreams and what they might mean; in ancient Egypt for example, they were thought to be messages from the gods. More recently, dream analysis has been used by psychologists as a tool to understand the unconscious mind. But the only way to interpret dreams was to ask people about the subject of their dreams after they had woken up.

The eventual aim of Dr Cerf’s project is to develop a system that would enable psychologists to corroborate people’s recollections of their dream with an electronic visualisation of their brain activity.

Read More on BBC News

23 Comments on "Mind-Reading Machines Could Soon Record Your Dreams: Will We Have Dream Police One Day?"

1. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm |

A mind reading machine? Hmmmm, some folks have a hard enough time reading relatively straightforward English, so I have severe reservations about the efficacy of this here idea . . .

But it is fun to think about. I just imagined an EKG-like monitor hooked up to Sarah Palin and confirming what we’ve already known–that one’s a “Flatliner”.

2. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 1, 2010 at 12:57 pm |

3. Timthilmony | Jan 9, 2011 at 2:48 am |

I want to be part of this study. I have the most bizarre nightmares. I hope Dr. Cerf contacts me to be his first subject.

4. Timthilmony | Jan 8, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

5. Great… I just hope they don’t start messing with us in our dreams…

6. Great… I just hope they don’t start messing with us in our dreams…

7. Bud Bundy | Apr 15, 2011 at 8:15 am |

Considering all Animals have dreams, Mammals in particular, there is little to be learned.

8. Bud Bundy | Apr 15, 2011 at 4:15 am |

9. Too bad y’all have to instantly assume police when something amazing like this comes along. (Doesn’t seem like it would really work though.)

10. Too bad y’all have to instantly assume police when something amazing like this comes along. (Doesn’t seem like it would really work though.)

• Bud Bundy | Apr 15, 2011 at 5:14 am |

I give 500 years before we can convert anything the Brain does into anything useful. Thats at the current rate of advancement.

In reality I predict 2000 years before we can hook electrodes to someones head and display their thoughts and dreams on a screen. I’d like to say “Never” but we’re a canny species and will figure out a way.

• Hadrian999 | Apr 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |

I have to disagree, we went from the kitty hawk to the moon in a single lifetime and all the computer revolution happened inside a single generation.

11. Bud Bundy | Apr 15, 2011 at 9:14 am |

12. DeepCough | Apr 15, 2011 at 9:41 am |

Quite literally another form of skullduggery, if you ask me.

13. DeepCough | Apr 15, 2011 at 5:41 am |

Quite literally another form of skullduggery, if you ask me.

14. For the government to “police” such a thing, they’d have to prove they had a compelling interest in your dream state that has no effect on your waking life or result in any effect on others. Since that’s basically impossible, I don’t know why they’d have any interest in it whatsoever, because it tells them absolutely nothing about how you’ll behave in regular life.

15. For the government to “police” such a thing, they’d have to prove they had a compelling interest in your dream state that has no effect on your waking life or result in any effect on others. Since that’s basically impossible, I don’t know why they’d have any interest in it whatsoever, because it tells them absolutely nothing about how you’ll behave in regular life.

16. justagirl | Apr 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

put it together.
    take it apart.
    wake up with a start.

get it doc?
    (8 months ago)

17. justagirl | Apr 15, 2011 at 8:58 am |

put it together.
    take it apart.
    wake up with a start.

get it doc?
    (8 months ago)

18. Hadrian999 | Apr 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

19. Liam_McGonagle | Apr 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm |

Is it that time of year already? Dusting off this old post? Reminds me of going to mass each week in my childhood; you could set your calendar by the reading/homily selections.

“Tradition!”

Zero Mostel

20. Prashant Akerkar | Aug 1, 2011 at 5:50 am |

I Feel a New Device to be designed and manufactured “Electro Neurogram Oscilloscope” Similar to ECG.

Exact Placement of Electrodes (Neuro Transmitters i.e.  internal) inside the Memory Area of the Brain (Performed by  Neuro Surgeons) by doing surgery as well on the external  Brain Skull should help us to perform  data mining of the  collected samples of data.

Data Mining of the Graphs Plotted  by the Electro Neurogram Oscilloscope (ENO) will help us to Study the  Dream Timings i.e when it started and Ended, what  was the  possible conversation etc ?

Thanks & Regards,