LA Progressive reports on law professor Michelle Alexander’s stunning claims:

“More African American men are in prison or jail, on probation or parole than were enslaved in 1850, before the Civil War began,” Michelle Alexander told a standing room only house at the Pasadena Main Library this past Wednesday, the first of many jarring points she made in a riveting presentation.

Alexander, currently a law professor at Ohio State, had been brought in to discuss her year-old bestseller, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. Interest ran so high beforehand that the organizers had to move the event to a location that could accommodate the eager attendees. That evening, more than 200 people braved the pouring rain and inevitable traffic jams to crowd into the library’s main room, with dozens more shuffled into an overflow room, and even more latecomers turned away altogether. Alexander and her topic had struck a nerve.

Growing crime rates over the past 30 years don’t explain the skyrocketing numbers of black — and increasingly brown — men caught in America’s prison system, according to Alexander, who clerked for Supreme Court Justice Harry Blackmun after attending Stanford Law…

For more information, see original article.

106 Comments on "More Black Men Now In Prison System Than Were Enslaved Before the Civil War Began"

1. DeepCough | Apr 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

Well, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

2. DeepCough | Apr 2, 2011 at 2:30 pm |

Well, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

• waaaaa apologist douche bag, why not look at it as cause and effect. I sell crack, I go to jail. What does black have to do with it!?

• Anonymous | Apr 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

well for starters: why do you have to go to jail if you sell crack?

• DeepCough | Apr 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm |

Funny how white bankers who sell bogus mortgages don’t get to go to jail like the black crack dealer, isn’t it?

• Or the treasury secretary who didn’t pay his taxes gets to spend every two weeks as much of your tax money as Bernie Madoff stole, and gets no prison time at all!

• What causes someone to sell crack?

• SirsethSerpentine | Apr 5, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

Nothing, they choose to. Take some responsibility.

• … or why does someone choose to sell crack? Isn’t understanding the causes of crime, in order to prevent it’s occurrence and escalation, a way of taking responsibility?

3. Swingsetsuicide | Apr 2, 2011 at 6:37 pm |

i blame gangster rap …

4. Swingsetsuicide | Apr 2, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

i blame gangster rap …

5. hexualhealing | Apr 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm |

I wonder how many people are going to read the nonsensical and inflammatory headline, say some racist garbage that they think is completely justified, and not realize that she said “in 1850”, which is ONE YEAR out of, say, 400.

I thought Disinfo was about debunking crap like this.

6. hexualhealing | Apr 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm |

I thought Disinfo was about debunking crap like this.

• BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

1850 saw the highest number of slaves in the US compared to any previous year: http://thomaslegion.net/totalslaveslaverypopulationinunitedstates17901860bystate.html

• BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

However, it would be surpassed in the next decade

• hexualhealing | Apr 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

The point is that your headline makes it sound like it’s “ever”, which would be impossible even if every black man, woman and child on the North American continent were imprisoned. In fact, I wouldn’t have even bothered to read this if my initial response weren’t “How the hell is that even possible?”

Plus, women and children are obviously included in the total slave counts, so… I mean, I think it’s important to talk about the factors that make black men more likely to be imprisoned than anybody else, but we can do that without sensationalism and shitty math.

• BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

The headline and story were taken from the original article. But, I do agree that it could come off misleading. Perhaps “More Black Men Now In Prison System Than Were Enslaved In 1850” would have been more accurate, but again, this story is simply relayed from the original source.

7. BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm |

8. BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 6:59 pm |

However, it would be surpassed in the next decade

9. hexualhealing | Apr 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm |

10. BananaFamine | Apr 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm |

11. iamjimcrow | Apr 2, 2011 at 8:35 pm |

its amazing how much they are staring to look like people these days

12. iamjimcrow | Apr 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm |

its amazing how much they are staring to look like people these days

13. Thanks for the feedback, headline modified.

14. Liverpull | Apr 3, 2011 at 5:33 am |

She is funny!!

15. Liverpull | Apr 3, 2011 at 1:33 am |

She is funny!!

16. Pointless statistic given the population increase.
    Even more black men are free and leading successful lives.

17. Pointless statistic given the population increase.
    Even more black men are free and leading successful lives.

18. That’s where they belong.

There’s more white men in prison now than were farmers in 1740. There’s more mexicans in prison now than were at the Alamo in 1836. See, I can play that game, too.

19. That’s where they belong.

20. Yeah. its a real “game”.

21. Well considering the private prison industry (of which DICK Cheney is a major stockholder in such ventures) desire to keep people in prison for fun and profit, this isn’t terribly surprising.

Nauseating.

But not surprising.

22. Well considering the private prison industry (of which DICK Cheney is a major stockholder in such ventures) desire to keep people in prison for fun and profit, this isn’t terribly surprising.

Nauseating.

But not surprising.

23. Micho_rizo | Apr 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm |

I agree with Ms. Alexander 100-percent and think her book “The New Jim Crow” should be a must-read for most Americans.

However…she is fighting a lost cause. Racism is so institutionalized and internalized in this country that people aren’t even aware they they’re being racist. Most people will say things like, “Well, they committed the crimes and they’re criminals so why should I feel sorry for them?” When that’s not what she’s saying or pointing out. I work in the criminal justice system and I come across so many decent people whose lives have been ruined for no other reason than they are poor and enjoy using drugs (but never harmed anyone or infringed on another’s rights)…. One really needs no other evidence then the fact that the war on drugs has never produced a major drug raid on a college campus, where studies (and common knowledge) show that some of the most prevalent illicit drug usage is taking place. Why is this? Using drugs is against the law, supposedly, but really it’s being poor and using drugs that is against the law.

24. Micho_rizo | Apr 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm |

• No, this statistic is skewed an racist. It claims that criminals are being punished because of their race, not because they murder,rape and steal. Get real. Out justice system isn’t perfect but it isn’t so jacked up that people can systematically imprison a race just because. In the information age where you can look up the crimes a man committed this lie becomes harder and harder to believe.

• Seeing racism where there is none is not racism.

• It is when It implies white are aggressive mean people who enslave via social mechanism. Thats racism against whites. This one sided racism is bullshit and it needs to go away..ANDY!

• One sided racism? Do you mean to imply that only blacks are racist? And that no whites are are aggressive mean people?

• Being Snarky for the sake of asinine pride does not negate this fact. Those people are in prison because they are criminals not because they are black. Get over it.

• DeepCough | Apr 5, 2011 at 4:21 pm |

Yeah, we should just keep flooding our prisons with people for committing the most victimless crime in the world: having a fucking bag of grass.

• Its a re-herring pretending these people are all in there for grass. These people are murderers, rapists and thieves.

• And it’s an association fallacy to pretend those people are all murderers, rapists and thieves.

• No Andy, Its called FBI.GOV. Check out the stats … but whatever. Your just gonna be part of the liberal propaganda machine… You are the definition of misinformation…

• Telling everyone I’m unwilling to check out the stats without asking me or giving me a chance to answer, eh? That’s called an ad hominem. A direct link to them with some analysis would’ve been nice so we could all check them out, but I’ll go looking for you. I think it’s bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov, not fbi.gov, by the way. Would you consider any analysis beyond the stats themselves “liberal propaganda?”

The use of people’s first names, especially in diminutive forms, is also an interesting psychological trick I’ve seen others deploy. Things like that may make you feel bigger and stronger or something, but they don’t strengthen your argument.

• DeepCough | Apr 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

Yet another idiot who doesn’t know what the word “liberal” means. Hey, Disinfo also features quite a few videos from the Fox News outlet, and that shows Disinfo is just as, if not much more, “fair and balanced” than Fox News. Furthermore, what the hell ever happened to jurisprudence? Is cruel and unusual punishment, the Eigth Amendment of the Bill of Rights, not important anymore?

• Ordering people to “get over” things and dismissing their questions as “snarky” does not validate your simplistic, authoritarian explanation.

25. Boo hoo… they should quit committing crimes and work for a fucking living..

26. Bigdickmegaherz | Apr 3, 2011 at 8:06 pm |

It is a political game.. its correlation being used as causation and its bullshit. Just because more blacks are in prison doesn’t mean they are being persecuted. They were convicted of a crime in a court of law and found guilty, they are fucking criminals after that point. Its simple logic, commit murder go to jail, commit rape go to jail. It would be racist to let them walk because they are black, its not racist to punish them because they are guilty. FUCK YOU

27. Do any of the commentators know that Reconstruction only lasted for 12 years or even what it was?

28. i hate blacks… Animals

29. I see any comment blaming the criminals as being criminals has been removed and flagged.

Disinfo went from a neutral news source to a liberal propaganda rag…congrats

30. I see any comment blaming the criminals as being criminals has been removed and flagged.

Disinfo went from a neutral news source to a liberal propaganda rag…congrats

31. waaaaa apologist douche bag, why not look at it as cause and effect. I sell crack, I go to jail. What does black have to do with it!?

32. Ricky Jazzercise | Apr 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |

As a white man who’s been arrested for drugs, let me tell you that one, most of the commentors here are amazingly ingorant, bickering about the accuracy of the numbers in the headline. And two, she’s making very valid points about the racism inherent in our criminal justice system, but what she’s not mentioning is that the whole thing is shakedown.

When I got arrested (for posession of LSD, 5 hits, 10 years ago) it was total illegal search and seizure. The cop violated my rights. There was no reason to pull me over (following too close). There was no reason to make me get out of my car and search me (the cop lied in his testimony and said I volunteered to hand him my marijuana pipe which I had in my pocket when asked – as if that makes any sense). Whatever sites like NORML tell you, you don’t have any rights unless you’re wealthy, and the cops can do whatever they want. I could have gotten out of it, as the cop’s official story was so full of holes that no jury would have believed it. You know how much it would have cost to get it to trial? Probably over $10 grand, which I didn’t have. As it was, I had to borrow $3,500 from my dad (this was ten years ago) to pay a fancy lawyer to do maybe, three hours of total work and get the charge talked down to a non felony “attempted possession of LSD”. I still got a $1000 fine, six month license suspension, and 200 hours of community service, buuuuuuuuuut, withouth that $3,500, I would have gotten a felony charge, which would have meant that I could no longer vote, and probably would have had an incredibly difficult time finding a decent job, for the rest of my life.

Why’d we decide to do this? Because my corporate lawyer Uncle informed my Dad and I that “the drug war is just an excuse to throw minorities in jail. You have to hire an expensive lawyer to demonstrate to the courts that you’re not poor.” Worked like a charm.

It was an educational experience, if you can afford to buy your way out of your charge, you’re good to go. If you can’t, you’re screwed. If I didn’t have the $300 dollars or so I needed for bail, I would have sat in jail for weeks, if not months, rather than getting out in a day and a half. They just want your money. If you’re poor, they just want your slave labor and prison costs. The more people they incarcerate, the more funding they get.

All you psycho right wing “libertarians” – the prison guards Union is the strongest in the country. Now, I’m a white man and I got arrested, only to be able to partially buy my way out of it. But I quite literally haven’t gotten pulled over since I moved to Seattle 10 years ago. Nor have I been illegally searched. This all happened years ago when I was driving through rural Ohio. As far as I can tell, it happened because I had a Bad Religion sticker on my car. You know the one with the crossed out cross? Being black is like having that sticker on your car all the time. Talk to your black friends (if you have any). They get pulled over all the fucking time. Just look at the statistics in the drug war. It’s undeniable institutionalized racism. But it’s also classism. Which was my point (yes white people do get arrested for drugs too, just not nearly as often). My other point would be, that we’re willing to spend more money throwing people in jail than we are to pay them for being productive workers. If I was going to cut useless government, that’d be the first thing to go. I have never seen a single Republican or Libertarian, talking about busting the prison guards unions or cutting any funding for the drug war (okay some libertarians address this, but would rather cut social programs)? Why, because you’re completely morally bankrupt, and very open about it. You truly want to believe that rich people are better than poor people and poor people are just poor because they’re lazy. Doesn’t matter if that’s a retardedly narrow oversimplification of things.

33. Ricky Jazzercise | Apr 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm |

• RonBirch | Apr 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm |

So, your telling us to trust you because your a criminal? Stay classy.

• Anonymous | Apr 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

lol, you say “criminal” like it means something

• It does mean something. A criminal is somebody who does something the government doesn’t want them to do.

• Ystrawman | Jul 20, 2011 at 12:41 pm |

So, you were arrested because of profiling etc, etc. But you admit that you beat the system and were guilty of possession. Your comments are full of judgments about what’s just and what’s unjust, when your main beef appears to be that you think drugs should be legal. But you don’t say that. It isn’t an argument to talk about lawyers and trials and searches.
      You don’t make a very good case that druggies should be able to drive unmolested, work in a job next to others and vote. You sound like a case study for irresponsibility, who has learned nothing from your experience.

34. Anonymous | Apr 4, 2011 at 5:00 pm |

well for starters: why do you have to go to jail if you sell crack?

35. No, this statistic is skewed an racist. It claims that criminals are being punished because of their race, not because they murder,rape and steal. Get real. Out justice system isn’t perfect but it isn’t so jacked up that people can systematically imprison a race just because. In the information age where you can look up the crimes a man committed this lie becomes harder and harder to believe.

36. Seeing racism where there is none is not racism.

37. DeepCough | Apr 5, 2011 at 3:38 am |

38. It is when It implies white are aggressive mean people who enslave via social mechanism. Thats racism against whites. This one sided racism is bullshit and it needs to go away..ANDY!

39. One sided racism? Do you mean to imply that only blacks are racist? And that no whites are are aggressive mean people?

40. Being Snarky for the sake of asinine pride does not negate this fact. Those people are in prison because they are criminals not because they are black. Get over it.

41. DeepCough | Apr 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm |

42. What causes someone to sell crack?

43. Its a re-herring pretending these people are all in there for grass. These people are murderers, rapists and thieves.

44. SirsethSerpentine | Apr 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

If you really want to blame someone, blame the ABA. Its a rich, elitist private organization that has a monopoly on how lawyers are trained, and who gets certified in 45 states. These are the guys running the show, the average white person may not be abnormally racist but I doubt the rich guys at the ABA could pass a polygraph on how many times they casually used the word nigger, or how often they cursed the working white man. Look at the real root of the problem, its not black versus white, its rich versus poor. This is a fucking red-herring and for some reason DISINFO is propagating it!

The liberals want you to think its about race, the republicans want you to think its about crime, can’t you see its really about slavery and YOU, the working class fool (regardless of race), are the real nigger now.

45. SirsethSerpentine | Apr 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm |

• DeepCough | Apr 6, 2011 at 8:04 pm |

Okay, you’re technically right: yes, the War On Drugs is pure class warfare, has been since it started, but you’re also wrong about the “racial component” being a red herring, because the War On Drugs didn’t start with the Reagan or Nixon administration, it really started with the 18th Amendment on alcohol, which later evolved into the Marihuana Tax Stamp of 1937. And all those laws against “marihuana” were passed because reefer was associated with jazz musicians, who were predominantly black, and you can find similar justification for criminalizing cocaine as it was used by negro dock workers to keep them working through the night.

46. SirsethSerpentine | Apr 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm |

Nothing, they choose to. Take some responsibility.

47. So, your telling us to trust you because your a criminal? Stay classy.

48. Ordering people to “get over” things and dismissing their questions as “snarky” does not validate your simplistic, authoritarian explanation.

49. Ordering people to “get over” things and dismissing their questions as “snarky” does not validate your simplistic, authoritarian explanation.

50. Ordering people to “get over” things and dismissing their questions as “snarky” does not validate your simplistic, authoritarian explanation.

51. And it’s an association fallacy to pretend those people are all murderers, rapists and thieves.

52. And it’s an association fallacy to pretend those people are all murderers, rapists and thieves.

53. And it’s an association fallacy to pretend those people are all murderers, rapists and thieves.

54. Anonymous | Apr 6, 2011 at 2:16 am |

lol, you say “criminal” like it means something

55. It does mean something. A criminal is somebody who does something the government doesn’t want them to do.

56. No Andy, Its called FBI.GOV. Check out the stats … but whatever. Your just gonna be part of the liberal propaganda machine… You are the definition of misinformation…

57. Telling everyone I’m unwilling to check out the stats without asking me or giving me a chance to answer, eh? That’s called an ad hominem. A direct link to them with some analysis would’ve been nice so we could all check them out, but I’ll go looking for you. I think it’s bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov, not fbi.gov, by the way. Would you consider any analysis beyond the stats themselves “liberal propaganda?”

58. Telling everyone I’m unwilling to check out the stats without asking me or giving me a chance to answer, eh? That’s called an ad hominem. A direct link to them with some analysis would’ve been nice so we could all check them out, but I’ll go looking for you. I think it’s bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov, not fbi.gov, by the way. Would you consider any analysis beyond the stats themselves “liberal propaganda?”

59. DeepCough | Apr 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm |

60. Your full of shit

61. … or why does someone choose to sell crack? Isn’t understanding the causes of crime, in order to prevent it’s occurrence and escalation, a way of taking responsibility?

62. Believe it or not, some can even spell correctly.

63. You mean “you’re.”

64. DeepCough | Apr 7, 2011 at 12:04 am |

65. DeepCough | Apr 7, 2011 at 12:04 am |

66. Fuck you andy, and your stupid smartass attitude.

67. Anti white propaganda. Its not about race, racist.

68. Mary Mcg. | May 4, 2011 at 5:28 pm |

“Instead of War on Poverty, they got a War on Drugs so the police can bother me.” —Tupac Shakur

69. Mary Mcg. | May 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

70. Ystrawman | Jul 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

71. Or the treasury secretary who didn’t pay his taxes gets to spend every two weeks as much of your tax money as Bernie Madoff stole, and gets no prison time at all!