The iPhone Tracks Your Location Without Your Consent

HAL-iPhoneCharles Arthur writes in the Guardian:

Security researchers have discovered that Apple’s iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner’s computer when the two are synchronised.

The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone’s recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner’s movements using a simple program.

For some phones, there could be almost a year’s worth of data stored, as the recording of data seems to have started with Apple’s iOS 4 update to the phone’s operating system, released in June 2010.

“Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you’ve been,” said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

Read More: Guardian

31 Comments on "The iPhone Tracks Your Location Without Your Consent"

1. emperorreagan | Apr 21, 2011 at 3:19 am |

I was actually surprised earlier today when I read that researchers haven’t found similar files on other smart phones – that this appears to be unique to Apple at first blush.

Apple really seems to be paving the way towards a closed internet and increased intrusion into people’s lives.

2. emperorreagan | Apr 20, 2011 at 11:19 pm |

• I’ve heard it also happens on Android phones. I’ve also heard some people link certain prepaid phones and free “Government Phones” (yes, they exist. I’ve seen them and talked so a few of their owners) to police raids of drug gangs.

I personally believe that NSA got Apple to do the trace…or they would be able to release no more iDevices. Don’t be surprised if we start finding these files on other phones over the next few years.

• emperorreagan | Apr 22, 2011 at 9:26 am |

Yeah. Reports this morning say Android is also doing it, so the initial information I read was inaccurate.

I think any government coercion is probably just for giving up the data – I think Apple and the rest have very little regard for privacy and are happily developing even more targeted ads. Just wait, you’ll be getting a text on your iPhone from Startbucks with a coupon for $0.50 off any large latte and directions telling you that the store’s two blocks ahead on the right…

3. these are dirty zionist jewish shit pigs that deserve exstermination

4. Ironaddict06 | Apr 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

Even more reason to buy pre-paid phones.

5. Ironaddict06 | Apr 21, 2011 at 10:04 am |

Even more reason to buy pre-paid phones.

• E.B. Wolf | Apr 21, 2011 at 11:03 am |

I wonder how long it will be until they all have tracking software and a law is passed mandating they must be registered to your name.

6. ThankYouCumAgain | Apr 21, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

damn, dude…how small is your dick?

7. WTF?

8. WTF?

9. WTF?

10. WTF?

11. br0wnb3rry | Apr 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm |

stop falling for racist propaganda, no one deserves extermination, the “zionist” threat is just a way for TPTB to split themselves up so if one part takes the fall the rest will carry on. We all live in a Capitalist Oligarchy. But times are a changing, money is losing it’s power, and information is taking it’s place as the most powerful thing in the world back. Human rights for everyone or you are part of the problem.

12. br0wnb3rry | Apr 21, 2011 at 10:59 am |

13. E.B. Wolf | Apr 21, 2011 at 3:03 pm |

14. Grooveboss | Apr 21, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

nothing to do with the jews on this one. unless they are shipping free iphones to palestine for intelligence purposes. apples sucks they ruin good hardware with crap software and I credit the hardware to the hard working and brilliant chinise

15. Grooveboss | Apr 21, 2011 at 11:52 am |

16. dirty zionist … are you sure its not the lizards or the greys? etc. why is it always the same jibberish. why cant paranoids invent their own personal constellation of the connect the dots. if youre going for the unbelievable – might as well go for it!

17. Our judicial incarceration system could take advantage of this and reduce incarceration to a level more economically affordable then present cost.

18. Our judicial incarceration system could take advantage of this and reduce incarceration to a level more economically affordable then present cost.

19. What in gods name are you talking about?

20. We had a spammer last night, the folks are referring to the removed comment. It’s not worth repeating, but the responses were appreciated enough to keep. Thanks people.

21. Grooveboss | Apr 22, 2011 at 12:51 am |

disinfo saves my life daily!!!

22. I’ve heard it also happens on Android phones. I’ve also heard some people link certain prepaid phones and free “Government Phones” (yes, they exist. I’ve seen them and talked so a few of their owners) to police raids of drug gangs.

23. emperorreagan | Apr 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

24. Anonymous | Apr 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Any cellphone can be trianglated and tracked. The main difference is that the info is stored permanantly on the I-phone and of course time and location are added via GPS technology. Lord help you if somebody wants to incriminate you with this info. You become your own big-brother by owning one of these.

The new I-phone model -soon to be released, will call the cops on you if it detects any law breaking. (Joke)

25. GoodDoktorBad | Apr 22, 2011 at 9:51 am |