The Newest Kindle Has Mandatory Ads

KindleIs this the free market at work – or a horrible preview of things to come?

Amazon just announced a new $114 Kindle Wireless Reading Device — $25 cheaper than any other model — but it comes with a big catch.

It’s the Kindle “with special offers,” showing sophisticated advertisements in the screensavers, along with shopping discounts which display at the bottom of the screen.

, , , ,

29 Responses to The Newest Kindle Has Mandatory Ads

1. justagirl April 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

but, can you thumb through the pages?? that’s what i want to know.

2. justagirl April 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

but, can you thumb through the pages?? that’s what i want to know.

• Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

i wish i had thumbs

• justagirl April 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

i wish i had a goblin.

• Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

oh kinky!

• justagirl April 12, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

you started it.

• Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm #

ALL IT TAKES IS A GIRL TO GET ME STARTED. :) good day

• justagirl April 12, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

check the mail?

3. Chaorder Gradient April 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

I love how you pay them to assure that they have a permanent income stream in the form of ads…
    Oh wait.. thats what cable and internet has been doing for decades now.

4. Chaorder Gradient April 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Oh wait.. thats what cable and internet has been doing for decades now.

5. Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

i wish i had thumbs

6. justagirl April 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

i wish i had a goblin.

7. Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

oh kinky!

8. justagirl April 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

you started it.

9. Other Mr. T April 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Ahem, I pity the fool who tries to save money by buying this stupid thing.
    Borrow a book from your local public library, SUCKA ! – its still FREE last time I checked.

• Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

I have the first kindle i traded the first iphone for it. I like that you can add external memory to the first one and you can on the more greedy and apple like corporate control that comes with the later models. But I still pity the fool that has to read books. I just lay my head on them and bam knowledge

10. Other Mr. T April 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

Ahem, I pity the fool who tries to save money by buying this stupid thing.

11. Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

ALL IT TAKES IS A GIRL TO GET ME STARTED. :) good day

12. Grooveboss April 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

13. Robobagons April 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Welp, considering that out of all the things I hate, I’d say that advertisements are probably at the top of the list, SO, I will never ever consider buying this, GJ you kindle jack asses.

14. Robobagons April 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

15. justagirl April 13, 2011 at 1:46 am #

check the mail?

16. Hadrian999 April 12, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

I wouldn’t ever buy one but as long as they are up front about the the ads I don’t see what the big deal is

17. Hadrian999 April 13, 2011 at 2:55 am #

18. Synapse April 13, 2011 at 7:06 am #

Cmon amazon, if you’re gonna dick me over, at least treat me to a nice dinner first. If you’re going to put a constant stream of shitty ads then the least you could do would be to hand these out for free, or even pay me for it. You’ll get more than 114$ back in profits soon enough.

19. Synapse April 13, 2011 at 11:06 am #

20. Skeptic May 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

Libraries are far from free.  Besides the taxpayer subsidy, readers must burn gas to get there, the buildings must be heated, cooled, connected to the grid, etc.  Be sure to include all the costs (some hidden) when comparing with ebooks.

21. Skeptic May 27, 2011 at 4:49 pm #