Thousands Of Tourists’ Photographs, Combined Into One

Framing sites of mass tourism in our viewfinders, we create photographic souvenirs that are integral to the touristic experience. These products, coined “photograph-trophies” by Susan Sontag, separate our leisurely pleasures from the real everyday experiences of work and life.

Artist Corinne Vionnet begins with the most recognizable of images and creates something unearthly and unsettling — from Flickr and personal blogs, she culls thousands of tourists’ snapshots of a well-known landmark (such as the Taj Majal, below) and overlaps them into single composite, revealing the collective “tourists’ gaze” produced by the absurd behavior of millions of people endlessly taking the same photograph over and over. Via My Modern Met:

corinnevionnet0

6 Comments on "Thousands Of Tourists’ Photographs, Combined Into One"

1. Anonymous | Apr 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm |

Reminds of a Greatful Dead show I once attended. It was quite a trip and so is this art…

2. GoodDoktorBad | Apr 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm |

3. J_Freeman | Apr 12, 2011 at 1:43 am |

This must be only a fraction what the SuperContext must look like.

4. MadHierophant | Apr 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

This must be only a fraction what the SuperContext must look like.

5. Bud Bundy | Apr 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |

The only thing I find absurd about people taking the same picture over and over, different people mind you, is that someone thinks its absurd. I’m sure it would be much easier to buy a photograph someone else took for a modest fee.

6. Bud Bundy | Apr 12, 2011 at 12:34 pm |