Magical iPadWondering how that Apple “magic” happens at that “unbelievable” price? Gethin Chamberlain writes in the Guardian:

An investigation into the conditions of Chinese workers has revealed the shocking human cost of producing the must-have Apple iPhones and iPads that are now ubiquitous in the west.

The research, carried out by two NGOs, has revealed disturbing allegations of excessive working hours and draconian workplace rules at two major plants in southern China. It has also uncovered an “anti-suicide” pledge that workers at the two plants have been urged to sign, after a series of employee deaths last year.

The investigation gives a detailed picture of life for the 500,000 workers at the Shenzhen and Chengdu factories owned by Foxconn, which produces millions of Apple products each year. The report accuses Foxconn of treating workers “inhumanely, like machines”.

Among the allegations made by workers interviewed by the NGOs — the Centre for Research on Multinational Corporations and Students & Scholars Against Corporate Misbehaviour (Sacom) – are claims that…

Read More: Guardian

12 Comments on "Apple’s Chinese Workers Treated ‘Inhumanely, Like Machines’ — Some Sign ‘Anti-Suicide’ Pledge"

1. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 4:42 am |

I hate apple

2. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 4:42 am |

I hate apple

3. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 12:42 am |

I hate apple

4. This is horrible. I will never eat another apple.

5. This is horrible. I will never eat another apple.

6. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 7:01 am |

better sign a pledge then. My god

7. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 7:01 am |

better sign a pledge then. My god

8. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm |

That has got to be one of the stupidest “official” reasonings I have ever heard.

9. From the story: Asked about the suicides that have led to anti-suicide netting being fitted beneath the windows of workers’ dormitories, Woo said: “Suicides were not connected to bad working conditions. There was a copy effect. If one commits suicide, then others will follow.”

• Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm |

lets all die tonight ok? k. wait. darn we forgot about the net, now we look silly

10. Grooveboss | May 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm |