Video: Are We Training Kids To Believe That Total Surveillance Is Normal?

Via TED Talks, Cory Doctorow discusses how parents’ and schools’ constant and total monitoring of kids’ internet usage and conversations trains young people to accept a complete lack of privacy, and total disclosure of their lives, as normal and good. Are today’s parents raising their children in a manner that plays into the hands of Big Brother?

23 Comments on "Video: Are We Training Kids To Believe That Total Surveillance Is Normal?"

1. A skinner box clearly describes lottory.

2. A skinner box clearly describes lottory.

3. A skinner box clearly describes lottory.

4. Rex Vestri | May 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |

“Skinner box”

That sounds like something Ted Bundy would do.    LOL

5. Rex Vestri | May 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

“Skinner box”

That sounds like something Ted Bundy would do.    LOL

6. Not just surveillance but total abject subservience to authority,.. i.e., slavery.

7. Not just surveillance but total abject subservience to authority,.. i.e., slavery.

8. Not just surveillance but total abject subservience to authority,.. i.e., slavery.

9. Marklar_Prime | May 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm |

10. Anonymous | May 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm |

11. If you grow up with it, it’ll seem normal to you even if it’s a lack of basic human rights.

12. We ask these questions far too late.

Consider when 1984 was written.

13. We ask these questions far too late.

Consider when 1984 was written.

14. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 5:04 pm |

I consider myself very lucky that my parents did not block anything on our internet service. We only had one computer for quite some time and I was a pretty good kid in a lot of ways. My parents realized that the best way to keep me from doing dangerous things online was to be reasonably open and honest about what was out there and why you should be careful. Sometimes they went too far (prohibiting me from playing RTS games with other people online, for example, because they didn’t have a good understanding of the situation. In fact, my mother still views that negatively and I’m in university now.) However, they always trusted me to follow what they said without having to spy on me, and as a result I had a fairly minimal online presence until I was old enough to make good decisions about my own privacy and I’ve always taken security and privacy very seriously.

15. Aeiluindae | May 25, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

16. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 7:11 pm |

17. Teach your children now, always question authority, always challenge orthodoxy and always try to use a little profanity in every damned sentence.

18. This is so true… I’m in high school, and everything we as students do is or being recorded, or being checked if it’s  not against the school rules. Now it isn’t that bad, but students are still finding ways to protect themselves from being caught doing something, i.e. texting in class, but now the teachers have found out, so they pay attention more. It’s a cycle. One that needs to be broken. Let’s be fair with one another about what we’re doing, and all might just be better than it is now.

19. This is so true… I’m in high school, and everything we as students do is or being recorded, or being checked if it’s  not against the school rules. Now it isn’t that bad, but students are still finding ways to protect themselves from being caught doing something, i.e. texting in class, but now the teachers have found out, so they pay attention more. It’s a cycle. One that needs to be broken. Let’s be fair with one another about what we’re doing, and all might just be better than it is now.

20. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm |

It will just make everyone better liars…

21. GoodDoktorBad | May 25, 2011 at 7:03 pm |

It will just make everyone better liars…