Arrested For Dancing at the Jefferson Memorial (Video)

Jefferson Memorial DancerI wonder how Thomas Jefferson would have felt about this. Via the Huffington Post:

The dancers were protesting an appeals court ruling handed down last week that the national monuments are places for reflection and contemplation — and that dancing distracted from such an experience.

In 2008, Mary Brooke Oberwetter and a group of friends went to the Jefferson to commemorate the president’s 265th birthday by dancing silently, while listening to music on headphones. Park Police ordered the revelers to disperse and arrested them when they did not.

Oberwetter sued on free speech grounds, but the appeals court ruled last week that her conduct was indeed prohibited “because it stands out as a type of performance, creating its own center of attention and distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration” that Park Service regulations are designed to preserve.

Saturday’s protest was staged during the day, on Memorial Day weekend, in order to draw maximum attention:

More on Huffington Post

93 Comments on "Arrested For Dancing at the Jefferson Memorial (Video)"

1. Footloose: Police State Edition

2. Footloose: Police State Edition

3. Anonymous | May 31, 2011 at 11:16 pm |

We should walk without rhythm just in case thats illegal too.

4. GoodDoktorBad | May 31, 2011 at 7:16 pm |

We should walk without rhythm just in case thats illegal too.

5. White guy here.

I’m already in compliance.

6. You americans have no respect for anything nowadays. It’s a shame. This is not the expresion of freedeom, it’s indecency.

7. You americans have no respect for anything nowadays. It’s a shame. This is not the expresion of freedeom, it’s indecency.

8. You americans have no respect for anything nowadays. It’s a shame. This is not the expresion of freedeom, it’s indecency.

• GoodDoktorBad | May 31, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

No, dancing silently is not indecent. Arresting them caused the disturbance and was itself indecent.

…and please, next time you want to comment on freedom, you might want to learn to spell it first.

• Pissedoff | May 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm |

Yeah, the guy (Adam Kokesh, the guy who got choked out after he was body slammed) who served in Fallujah, Iraq, as a volunteer for the Marines (despite the Iraq war being a total sham, based on lies) has no respect. Thomas Jefferson would be rolling over in his grave in shame of what this country has become where these pigs can do this to innocent people, he would also be ashamed that mindless drones that worship the state, like yourself are unfortunately the majority in this country.

• Logic_man | May 31, 2011 at 9:12 pm |

Bad_dude is correct.  Many folks have abused Freedom of Speech with indecency.  These folks were causing a nuisance while tourists were trying to reflect at the memorial.  I don’t disagree that police brutality exists, don’t get me wrong, but this is not an example of that.  What is ironic is that when people act like this, it diminishes true examples of violations of the Freedom of Speech.  Shame on these people…

• GoodDoktorBad | May 31, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

Moving to an unheard rhythm is a nuisance? You are a complete idiot.

Mister Spock would be confused by your logic- Logic-man.

• What the fuck? Three cops tackling a guy for leaning to the side isn’t police brutality? What, would they have to SHOOT HIM for it to classify as brutality to you? Let me say that again — THREE cops throwing one guy to the ground for nothing more than SILENTLY LIFTING HIS ARMS AND LEANING TO THE SIDE. The police are the ones causing a disturbance. The police are the ones who should be arrested.

• Simiantongue | Jun 1, 2011 at 12:22 am |

“Bad_dude is correct.  Many folks have abused Freedom of Speech with indecency.”

Oh I see, so freedom of speech means only that speech which you approve of? If speech becomes indecent to you, then that is an “abuse” of the freedom of speech. So, shall we talk about puppies, lollipops, how nice the weather is today? Do you approve? What if we discuss civilian casualties in the Iraq war? Where is the demarcation of acceptable speech and indecency you are drawing? Are you the one who decided what is “decent” enough to be protected under the freedom of speech? If not you who decides, what human on the planet do we enlist to make that decision? Let’s give a best case scenario, we have found an angelic, objective human that could be entrusted with such authority. What then happens if that authority falls into another’s hands? One who decides what is considered “decent” that doesn’t coincide with your personal interpretation of “decency”. Maybe it then becomes indecent to criticize this religion and not that one. Perhaps it is indecent to talk about liberals and not conservatives in a pejorative manner, or vise versa. You want assholes like George “I am the decider” Bush making those types of calls? How about Obama or any president making those decisions? Even Congress. Have you even thought any of this through?

You don’t believe in freedom of speech,  what you believe in is freedom of speech that you approve of. Sorry Charlie, you don’t get to make that call.

• They were specifically doing it to protest a dumb ass court ruling. Isn’t that the entire point of free speech? They weren’t even making noise. You get more indecency watching the commercials during childrens cartoons. How sheltered are you?

• It’s only a statue. Not actually Mr. Jefferson trying to give a speech. I can agree that most of the people in this country lack respect for a lot of what merits it, but that park (and memorial) is bought and paid for by the same people who are being told to leave and those who are being shoved around.

9. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 12:50 am |

10. Pissedoff | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:12 am |

11. Logic_man | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:12 am |

12. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:19 am |

The sad thing is….I’m not surprised anymore

13. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:19 am |

The sad thing is….I’m not surprised anymore

14. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:19 am |

The sad thing is….I’m not surprised anymore

15. MoralDrift | May 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm |

The sad thing is….I’m not surprised anymore

16. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:32 am |

The violent way the police handled these people is shocking and completely out of line. To just shrug this off as “eh they deserved it for mocking free speech” takes a tremendous amount of cynicism.

17. Putting aside the absurdity that dancing and kissing in public can be illegal in the United States…

18. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 2:16 am |

Moving to an unheard rhythm is a nuisance? You are a complete idiot.

Mister Spock would be confused by your logic- Logic-man.

19. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:03 am |

20. Simiantongue | Jun 1, 2011 at 4:22 am |

21. Max Stirner | Jun 1, 2011 at 5:35 am |

I despise this country. and I suspect jefferson would also. fuck this shit.I
    remember when I was very young I was sold a fairy tale about america
    being the land of the free, the land where you could say anything you
    wanted, no matter who found it offensive, and, despite whatever other
    idiocies america may contain,…
    this one profundity made up for them. and now i’m an adult, and I
    realize: this is a bigger fairy tale than any load of bullshit ever made
    up by any pope or any L Ron Hubbard I can fucking name

22. Max Stirner | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:35 am |

I despise this country. and I suspect jefferson would also. fuck this shit.I
    remember when I was very young I was sold a fairy tale about america
    being the land of the free, the land where you could say anything you
    wanted, no matter who found it offensive, and, despite whatever other
    idiocies america may contain,…
    this one profundity made up for them. and now i’m an adult, and I

being the land of the free, the land where you could say anything you
    wanted, no matter who found it offensive, and, despite whatever other
    idiocies america may contain,
    this one profundity made up for them. and now i’m an adult, and I
    realize: this is a bigger fairy tale than any load of bullshit ever made
    up by any pope or any L Ron Hubbard I can fucking name

25. Well they gave the tourists an amazing impression of america… so glad i’m british.

26. Yazmataz | Jun 1, 2011 at 7:46 am |

27. There is absolutely no way that it is ok that the government has decided that dancing silently at a memorial is indecent and illegal, but that the God Hates Fags, West Borough Baptist Church protests at soldiers’ funerals is OK?! That is absolute lunacy, I don’t care if dancing at a memorial is indecent (which it very well may be), but if dancing at a memorial is indecent, then desecrating the memory of a fallen soldier by spreading hate rhetoric is without a doubt indecent. And yet those protests keep happening, without police intervention. You ask me, it’s those “indecent” idiots that deserve the choke slams from police, not some guy with a mullet getting his “hammer-time” on.

28. There is absolutely no way that it is ok that the government has decided that dancing silently at a memorial is indecent and illegal, but that the God Hates Fags, West Borough Baptist Church protests at soldiers’ funerals is OK?! That is absolute lunacy, I don’t care if dancing at a memorial is indecent (which it very well may be), but if dancing at a memorial is indecent, then desecrating the memory of a fallen soldier by spreading hate rhetoric is without a doubt indecent. And yet those protests keep happening, without police intervention. You ask me, it’s those “indecent” idiots that deserve the choke slams from police, not some guy with a mullet getting his “hammer-time” on.

• Itbe1984 | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

Both cases are free speech, and both should be legal. West Borough is just showing off what it is to be truly religious, and not the quasi-religious people are in the modern age due to secular reformations. The cops in this case are blatantly wrong, and I personally think that bike cop just has his panties in a bunch because hes in a pair of shorts…

• hahaha, yeah being a bike cop would be rough. I agree, freedom of speech should be respected, regardless of the content as far as the law is concerned, however, I do not think that acceptance or passivity should be required of society in response to any group that elects to promote and project fear and hatred onto others. I don’t think the law has a place to step in (in the WBC or the dancers at the Jefferson Memorial), but as citizen of the United States, and more importantly, as decent human beings of the world, we do not need to stand for such ideals, and I think we can aggressively oppose them. And aggressive doesn’t mean violent, but I do think that comments and opinions on blogs have the potential to be viewed and thought about by many, many people all over the globe, meaning that taking an educated stand against ignorance, government over-involvement , and any other type of social injustice via the web is important.

And also, the biggest reason that I despise the WBC is because I am a person of “faith”. I do believe in the teaching of Christ, and when people like those involved in the WBC, though I love them as human beings and am sad for their severe lack of understanding, misconstrue the teachings of God into excuses to hate, it really upsets me. It’s people like that that make normal-ass (yes i’m a christian and I swear, believe, it can happen) people like myself look like crazies by broad association.

29. THe police are guilty of aggravated assault.  They should have defended themselves.  They had it all on tape.  If it had been me, some of those jerks would have been in the hospital.

You ARE allowed to video in there.  The police just didn’t want any witnesses because they knew they were in the wrong.  I hope eventually, that assholes (the police) are sent to prison.

Anyone still think the USA is the “Land of the free”? It’s a police state and I am so happy that I will never live there again or even visit. The country is doomed and good riddance.

30. THe police are guilty of aggravated assault.  They should have defended themselves.  They had it all on tape.  If it had been me, some of those jerks would have been in the hospital.

31. “distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration”

Yeah because a violant arrest doesn’t do that at all in any way … tards.

32. “distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration”

Yeah because a violant arrest doesn’t do that at all in any way … tards.

33. Fenhongjiatu | Jun 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

America? Stinking Nazis run this country!

34. Fenhongjiatu | Jun 1, 2011 at 10:00 am |

America? Stinking Nazis run this country!

35. Erozploch | Jun 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

its absurd were becoming a fucking police nation where the cops can do what they want and get away with it

36. Erozploch | Jun 1, 2011 at 10:25 am |

37. Nuggett72@gmail.com | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:43 pm |

I think a more effective solution would be for the Jefferson Memorial Board to hire the “So you think you can Dance” judges in the event of future flash dances.  If the dancing is pretty bad, they make the call.  Bad dancer = jail time:  Good dancer = freedom.

I think that’s fair.

38. Nuggett72@gmail.com | Jun 1, 2011 at 11:43 am |

I think that’s fair.

39. OK people, let’s make one thing clear. The police are enforcing a law created by a lawmaker that was voted into office by us, the people. Bad law or not, even if an officer disagrees with it, he/she HAS to enforce it. The  people you really need to attack are the morons behind the scenes, the lawmakers. Find out who created this law, find out who all voted it in, expose them and do what you can to have them voted OUT of office.

40. OK people, let’s make one thing clear. The police are enforcing a law created by a lawmaker that was voted into office by us, the people. Bad law or not, even if an officer disagrees with it, he/she HAS to enforce it. The  people you really need to attack are the morons behind the scenes, the lawmakers. Find out who created this law, find out who all voted it in, expose them and do what you can to have them voted OUT of office.

• jackedu317 | Jun 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm |

as Americans, YOU have an OBLIGATION to disobey ANY LAW that is unjust or immoral. – B.F.

• Where you’re correct is that Obama has done exactly ZERO to turn this national environment of security idiocy around. In fact, this past week he reauthorized the anti-Constitutional Patriot Act.Until he changes that, I will remain thoroughly unimpressed.

I was pissed when a Republican let stupid sh*t like “protest zones” happen, but I am DOUBLY so when a Democrat sits on his cushy ass and does nothing to change the tenor in the culture, and pull us back from that cliff of irrational fear and outright stupidity.

41. “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
    occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be
    exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I
    like a little rebellion now and then.” -TJ

42. “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
    occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be
    exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I
    like a little rebellion now and then.” -TJ

43. a handful of park police and a small army of civilians. the police are obviously abusing the little power they have. All of those people should have arrested the officers.

44. a handful of park police and a small army of civilians. the police are obviously abusing the little power they have. All of those people should have arrested the officers.

• Yes, counteract with a citizen’s arrest. Then follow them to jail and lodge a formal complaint against each of the officers involve in this stupidity.

45. It’s only a statue. Not actually Mr. Jefferson trying to give a speech. I can agree that most of the people in this country lack respect for a lot of what merits it, but that park (and memorial) is bought and paid for by the same people who are being told to leave and those who are being shoved around.

46. Whatever | Jun 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

When people act stupidly stupid things will happen to them. This is like asking to get punched in the face and then getting mad when someone obliges you.

47. Whatever | Jun 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

48. Whatever | Jun 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

49. Whatever | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm |

• No, this is like acting as if we still have freedom of speech, movement, and association. And if we left things up to morons like you, we’d have no freedoms at all.

You’re so very hot to go all “Ordnung ist ein!”, then perhaps you should stop screwing around and just buy the brownshirt so everyone can see the fascism coming….

50. Itbe1984 | Jun 1, 2011 at 7:00 pm |

51. jackedu317 | Jun 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm |

52. hahaha, yeah being a bike cop would be rough. I agree, freedom of speech should be respected, regardless of the content as far as the law is concerned, however, I do not think that acceptance or passivity should be required of society in response to any group that elects to promote and project fear and hatred onto others. I don’t think the law has a place to step in (in the WBC or the dancers at the Jefferson Memorial), but as citizen of the United States, and more importantly, as decent human beings of the world, we do not need to stand for such ideals, and I think we can aggressively oppose them. And aggressive doesn’t mean violent, but I do think that comments and opinions on blogs have the potential to be viewed and thought about by many, many people all over the globe, meaning that taking an educated stand against ignorance, government over-involvement , and any other type of social injustice via the web is important.

53. Skeetarbeatar | Jun 1, 2011 at 10:22 pm |

this makes those u.s. park police officers look like idiot pompous assholes. surprise surprise America sucks

54. Skeetarbeatar | Jun 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm |

55. HA HA HA… I hate dancers, and I hate people who do stuff like this to make a point. There are proper legal channels to deal with a minor issue like this. I hope they get the crap fined out of them. HA HA HA

56. HA HA HA… I hate dancers, and I hate people who do stuff like this to make a point. There are proper legal channels to deal with a minor issue like this. I hope they get the crap fined out of them. HA HA HA

• Driftwoodstarmap | Jun 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm |

No, there ISN’T a “proper channel” OR a legal remedy to the erosion of our freedom.  I will assume that you are in turn disliked by people with the balls to have fun while they make a stand for these issues.  I’d say they certainly drew more attention to this situation than YOU could have through your “proper legal channels” OR your ignorant posting on the internets.

57. I honestly think this is good. we need more sanctuaries where people arent allowed to act like idiots.

58. I honestly think this is good. we need more sanctuaries where people arent allowed to act like idiots.

• Arlo Driftwood | Jun 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm |

Can you say Stockholm Syndrome?  It used to make me upset when I saw intelligent people make the stand for their oppressors.  You have to be pretty miserable in your own situation to allow for a moment that these kids deserve that kind of force used against them for what could AT WORST be defined as “distracting” behavior.   What’s next?   Shackling women and hauling them to jail if their baby cries in a theater or church?

59. bumpycashew | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:03 am |

They can dance if they want to, they can leave their friends behind..

60. bumpycashew | Jun 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm |

They can dance if they want to, they can leave their friends behind..

61. Arlo Driftwood | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:10 am |

62. Driftwoodstarmap | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:15 am |

63. not allowed to dance , but ok to be a robot for someone else .

CHANGE the CHAINS

64. not allowed to dance , but ok to be a robot for someone else .

CHANGE the CHAINS

65. No dancing. What is this, Afghanistan? Next, no music and no art?And they do this right under the words on those walls that say “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights…”There is no addendum on there which says “unless they dare to dance, in which case we reserve the right to throw them onto the ground and arrest them.”

66. No dancing. What is this, Afghanistan? Next, no music and no art?And they do this right under the words on those walls that say “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights…”There is no addendum on there which says “unless they dare to dance, in which case we reserve the right to throw them onto the ground and arrest them.”

67. No, this is like acting as if we still have freedom of speech, movement, and association. And if we left things up to morons like you, we’d have no freedoms at all.

68. Yes, counteract with a citizen’s arrest. Then follow them to jail and lodge a formal complaint against each of the officers involve in this stupidity.

69. Where you’re correct is that Obama has done exactly ZERO to turn this national environment of security idiocy around. In fact, this past week he reauthorized the anti-Constitutional Patriot Act.Until he changes that, I will remain thoroughly unimpressed.

70. Would it be illegal if I were to quietly reflect but also walk to a beat? What if I were to hop a little every fourth beat?  It would be an interesting experiment to more discretely test the boundaries of  what the “definition” of dancing is under this law or ordinance or whatever the hell it is. What other actions would be considered a “distraction” under this law. Is contemplating while walking repeatedly in a figure 8 out of the question?  What about a backrub train? If so is it tied to a number of people in the train or does a single momentary backrub disrupt the atmosphere for others.  This seems like a great opportunity and appropriate to use this monument to Jefferson as a lab to push these boundaries. This kind of frivolous law is ripe to be exploited or to at least make those bike cops work for their paycheck.

71. Would it be illegal if I were to quietly reflect but also walk to a beat? What if I were to hop a little every fourth beat?  It would be an interesting experiment to more discretely test the boundaries of  what the “definition” of dancing is under this law or ordinance or whatever the hell it is. What other actions would be considered a “distraction” under this law. Is contemplating while walking repeatedly in a figure 8 out of the question?  What about a backrub train? If so is it tied to a number of people in the train or does a single momentary backrub disrupt the atmosphere for others.  This seems like a great opportunity and appropriate to use this monument to Jefferson as a lab to push these boundaries. This kind of frivolous law is ripe to be exploited or to at least make those bike cops work for their paycheck.

72. DeepCough | Jun 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

“Some are more equal than others.” ~George Orwell

73. They were specifically doing it to protest a dumb ass court ruling. Isn’t that the entire point of free speech? They weren’t even making noise. You get more indecency watching the commercials during childrens cartoons. How sheltered are you?

74. They were specifically doing it to protest a dumb ass court ruling. Isn’t that the entire point of free speech? They weren’t even making noise. You get more indecency watching the commercials during childrens cartoons. How sheltered are you?

75. They were specifically doing it to protest a dumb ass court ruling. Isn’t that the entire point of free speech? They weren’t even making noise. You get more indecency watching the commercials during childrens cartoons. How sheltered are you?