Atheists Plan May 21 No Rapture Parties

RAPweekendOnly in America folks. Not satisfied with having a good laugh at the believers who spent all their savings in advance of Judgment Day (May 21, 2011), atheists are planning their own celebrations. From BBC News:

US atheists are to hold parties in response to an evangelical broadcaster’s prediction that Saturday will be “judgement day”.

The Rapture After Party in North Carolina – “the best damned party in NC” – is among the planned events.

Harold Camping, 89, predicts that Jesus Christ will return to earth on Saturday and true believers will be swept up, or “raptured”, to heaven.

He has used broadcasts and billboards to publicise his ideas. He says biblical texts indicate that a giant earthquake on Saturday will mark the start of the world’s destruction, and that by 21 October all non-believers will be dead.

Mr Camping has predicted an apocalypse once before, in 1994, though followers now say that only referred to an intermediary stage.

“We learn from the Bible that Holy God plans to rescue about 200 million people,” says a text on the website of Mr Camping’s network, Family Radio Worldwide. “On the first day of the Day of Judgment (May 21, 2011) they will be caught up (raptured) into Heaven because God had great mercy for them.”

‘Countdown to back-pedalling’
The Rapture After Party in Fayetteville, North Carolina, is a two-day event organised by the Central North Carolina Atheists and Humanists.

This prediction has been given an unusually high level of publicity. “Though the absurdity of this claim is obvious to the majority of the world, it’s a great opportunity to highlight some of the most bizarre beliefs often put forth by religious fundamentalists and raise awareness of the need for reason,” said a posting about the party on the group’s website…

[continues at BBC News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

76 Comments on "Atheists Plan May 21 No Rapture Parties"

1. Facebook Event: Post-rapture looting. Location: EVERYWHERE

2. Facebook Event: Post-rapture looting. Location: EVERYWHERE

• I live in the bible belt so extra shiz for me.  Maybe I’ll take up residence in some abandoned megachurch…  🙂

3.  All in good fun… as long as they try to be at least marginally respectful of the people they disagree with.

4.  All in good fun… as long as they try to be at least marginally respectful of the people they disagree with.

• Biggregny | May 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm |

why do you have to respect these idiots? they are comdemning the rest of humanity for not believing their lunacy. I dont respect them– mockery is all they deserve.

•  We respect because we are the bigger person… Because we don’t like it when we are disrespected.  Besides… what exactly are they condemning you to?  Some place that doesn’t literally exist?  You are giving them way too much power over you…

• that does not justify hating a group of people because you think they hate you.  they don’t *deserve* anything like that.  it’s what they believe.. and it’s silly.  enough said.

• Simiantongue | May 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm |

We should be respectful of other “people”. Though not their ideology. There is a difference. Lets say you believe in Wotan. It is abusive of me to say “You are stupid to believe in Wotan”. That is personally abusive. However if I say “Belief in Wotan is stupid”. That is not personally abusive. It may be offensive to you, but not abusive toward you. Like I said there is a difference.

Though many people often times confuse the two. In the US we make this distinction, it is called The Fighting Words Doctrine. Contrary to popular belief we do have some limitations of free speech in the US.

The intent is to allow people to live together peacefully. While still having the freedom to dissent from ideas critically.

• Screw respect. They need to stop being idiots already.

• Kamenrider Tiki | May 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm |

No.  We need to humiliate these people until they realize how silly they are clinging to these beliefs.

5. Anonymous | May 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

And considering it’s the quietly faithful who’d get raptured and not the loudly proclaiming religious bigots who fall afoul of, among other things, claiming to know the mind of God, which is one of the biggest no-nos to those who believe in the big One and Only, I fail to see how any of the rest of us would know the difference. Our charity co-workers would have even less religious people than usual from now on? Well, maybe that would be one of the “true” signs that the Rapture had happened but out of scores of people I’ve done charity work with, only a scant handful have been even vaguely religious. Usually they’re people who believe this life is all you get so it’s best to make the best of it for everyone. So I’m not sure I’d notice that one either.

6.  It’s all about the benjamins.

7. lol. It’s only supposed to be 200 million people. Hardly enough to offer opportunities for looting. Out of the entire population of the world? I’m pretty sure that even if it happened, very few people would notice unless all 200 million were in the same area and died catastrophically. About 150k people die _every day_ on average. All we’d see is a little one-day uptick in deaths or missing persons, and not enough of an uptick to even register. People are used to death and disappearance. Make it 2 billion now, then we might notice.

8.  It’s all about the benjamins.

9. Anonymous | May 20, 2011 at 3:25 pm |

To be fair Camping is 89, so chances are the world will soon be coming to an end- as least as far as he’s concerned.

10. Dave_Plankton | May 20, 2011 at 11:25 am |

11. John Finch7 | May 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm |

just think, if the rapture does happen on 21 may. all those troublemakers going up to heaven so we can straighten things out and reach for the stars, instead of fighting silly wars in the name of religon.

12. John Finch7 | May 20, 2011 at 1:01 pm |

• superfluous | May 20, 2011 at 4:41 pm |

yeah, we can finally start fighting silly wars for cash, territory and resources…

hoo. ray.

• Well I doubt any of Camping’s followers or any fundamentalists are going to be ruptured (if there really was such a thing)… Arrogance is a sin, after all…

13. That’s what i’ve been thinking, that maybe he just wants to go out with a bang

14. Did anyone see the picture of the controversial billboard that was recently put up by another spiritual group near Family Radio’s headquarters? It directly challenges them about May 21. Here is a short video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y14YxNhj40

15. Did anyone see the picture of the controversial billboard that was recently put up by another spiritual group near Family Radio’s headquarters? It directly challenges them about May 21. Here is a short video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y14YxNhj40

•  Yeah, out here in the SF Bay area I’ve been pretty amused to watch one sign proclaiming the end of the world go up, followed by a counter sign, followed by another, different Apocalyptic sign followed by another counter sign. I believe there are several of both at this point along I-80.

16. Anonymous | May 20, 2011 at 6:04 pm |

17. The weird part of this is the person claiming to be the second coming of Christ and backed by the Knights Templar will be making a announcement to the world tomorrow on Youtube and his website. His name is Ra-el and is supposedly not connected to Campings, but what a coincidence. To add to that with the advent of Obamas denouncement of Israel yesterday I wouldn’t be surprised. Not sayting that I’m one of the Campings believers but things seem to be unfolding in his favor. That is if you believe in that type of stuff.

• KamenRiderAnt | May 22, 2011 at 11:23 am |

Obama suggesting that Israel go back to it’s old borders is proof to me and should be proof to anyone that knows the end time “lore”, I’ll call it, that the end times aren’t now. The end isn’t going to start until Israel gets all of it’s original territory back and then reconstructs the temple or whatever in the exact way and spot that it was built before it was destroyed back in the day. THEEEEN the end is supposed to start. Also, some guy pretending to be the second coming? Backed by the Knights Templar? If you believe that crap you need help. The whole rapture thing to begin with should be insulting to any honest christian whose read the bible and understands it for what it actually is. So you’re telling me that a bunch of rich bigots who think they’re better than everyone is going to get a free pass out of judgement? That’s just their arrogance shining through even more. All are equal before the eyes of the big man.

Don’t be distracted by the bullsh*t people, all we’re dealing with here is false prophets. Next this ass will want everyone to drink the kool aide.

18. Biggregny | May 20, 2011 at 6:19 pm |

19. If anyone wants to play a fun joke on a family member or roommate, or anyone that one lives with, I think they should leave in the middle of the night leaving their clothing where they were sleeping. Dont take much with you, take the housekey off the keychain for the perceptive ones, to confuse people how you were gone without your keys but the door is still locked.

This is really tempting for me.

20. If anyone wants to play a fun joke on a family member or roommate, or anyone that one lives with, I think they should leave in the middle of the night leaving their clothing where they were sleeping. Dont take much with you, take the housekey off the keychain for the perceptive ones, to confuse people how you were gone without your keys but the door is still locked.

This is really tempting for me.

21.  I pray Justin Bieber is a christian.

22.  I pray Justin Bieber is a christian.

23. DeepCough | May 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm |

I just want to reiterate, as I have in past posts, that I call first dibs on Pat Robertson’s estate.

24. DeepCough | May 20, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

25. I live in the bible belt so extra shiz for me.  Maybe I’ll take up residence in some abandoned megachurch…  🙂

26. Empty_threes | May 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm |

Hell yeah! I wish I lived in NC so I could attend what looks to be a sweet party! Maybe they have a similar one around these here parts.

I say ridicule is good for the Camping crowd. No amount of respect or understanding is going to make them or any other religion less insane or exploitative.

27. Empty_threes | May 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm |

28. superfluous | May 20, 2011 at 8:41 pm |

hoo. ray.

29. If this man would actually READ his bible he would know that “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Matthew 24:36. Maranatha!

30. If this man would actually READ his bible he would know that “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Matthew 24:36. Maranatha!

• Kamenrider Tiki | May 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm |

I can’t tell you how many people quoted that bit to me on friday and saturday, and all I could think was.  “Ok, you sound only marginally more sane than the people who are worried about this.

31.  How do you know he will not still be there? I am just saying……

32. It’s not just atheists planning after parties.  It’s anyone with a fucking brian.  Stupid fundaMENTAList dumb fucking idiots

33. It’s not just atheists planning after parties.  It’s anyone with a fucking brian.  Stupid fundaMENTAList dumb fucking idiots

• I don’t have a “fucking Brian”.  I have a brain…. And my husband’s name is Richard… so I have a fucking D*ck… 🙂

34. I think the Big Electron every day for not infecting me with religion.

35. I think the Big Electron every day for not infecting me with religion.

36. Fear of, or reverence for, the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowlege, and understanding.   http://atheistlegitimacy.blogspot.com/

37. Fear of, or reverence for, the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowlege, and understanding.   http://atheistlegitimacy.blogspot.com/

• superfluous | May 21, 2011 at 3:43 am |

indeed, it hardly seems possible to conclusively reject an idea without first paying some amount of attention to it.

• Luckily for us then that the rapture is such a transparently stupid notion that we can fully absorb its lack of complexity very quickly and without much effort; those are, after all, the primary virtues of a meme targeted at the least educated segment of society.

38.  We respect because we are the bigger person… Because we don’t like it when we are disrespected.  Besides… what exactly are they condemning you to?  Some place that doesn’t literally exist?  You are giving them way too much power over you…

39. Well I doubt any of Camping’s followers or any fundamentalists are going to be ruptured (if there really was such a thing)… Arrogance is a sin, after all…

40. I don’t have a “fucking Brian”.  I have a brain…. And my husband’s name is Richard… so I have a fucking D*ck… 🙂

41. superfluous | May 21, 2011 at 7:43 am |

42. that does not justify hating a group of people because you think they hate you.  they don’t *deserve* anything like that.  it’s what they believe.. and it’s silly.  enough said.

43. Anonymous | May 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

44. Yeah, but do you really want to assume responsibility for feeding all those choirboys chained up in his basement?  Seems more work than it’s worth to me . . .

45. Luckily for us then that the rapture is such a transparently stupid notion that we can fully absorb its lack of complexity very quickly and without much effort; those are, after all, the primary virtues of a meme targeted at the least educated segment of society.

46. Simiantongue | May 22, 2011 at 1:41 am |

47. Screw respect. They need to stop being idiots already.

48. KamenRiderAnt | May 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

49. hundreds of millions of dollars were wasted advertising the rapture that didnt happen. i live in the bible belt, and one of our neighbors put all of his savings into educating ppl about the apocalypse. 100,000 gone, all his cash. it would be funny if it wasn’t sad.

50. hundreds of millions of dollars were wasted advertising the rapture that didnt happen. i live in the bible belt, and one of our neighbors put all of his savings into educating ppl about the apocalypse. 100,000 gone, all his cash. it would be funny if it wasn’t sad.

51. Kamenrider Tiki | May 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm |

52. Kamenrider Tiki | May 22, 2011 at 11:06 pm |

53. superfluous | May 23, 2011 at 12:09 am |

yeah, you go do that…

54. Not only in America… Had a No Rapture party in Nova Scotia as well! ;D

55. Not only in America… Had a No Rapture party in Nova Scotia as well! ;D

56. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

57. A number of us got together for a Velocirapture party.  Thankfully, no velociraptors came to eat people.