Austrian Man Amputates His Hand To Replace It With Bionic One

_52542971_twohandsstillGive this guy a hand for his courage. Won’t someone lend him a hand? … and so on. The BBC reports on our entry into the age of cyborgs, with laser-shooting eye transplants surely right around the corner:

An Austrian man has voluntarily had his hand amputated so he can be fitted with a bionic limb. The patient, called “Milo”, aged 26, lost the use of his right hand in a motorcycle accident a decade ago. After his stump heals in several weeks’ time, he will be fitted with a bionic hand which will be controlled by nerve signals in his own arm.

The patient, a Serbian national who has lived in Austria since childhood, suffered injuries to a leg and shoulder when he skidded off his motorcycle and smashed into a lamppost in 2001 while on holiday in Serbia.

A further operation involving the transplantation of muscle and nerve tissue into his forearm also failed to restore movement to the hand, but it did at least boost the electric signals being delivered from his brain to his forearm, signals that could be used to drive a bionic hand.

Read More on the BBC

20 Comments on "Austrian Man Amputates His Hand To Replace It With Bionic One"

1. Anonymous | May 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm |

2. Not there yet, but I’d be first in line to trade in my body for a nice cybernetic replacement. Go Cyborgs!

3. Anonymous | May 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm |

“We can rebuild him…we have the technology…”

–Oscar Goldman

4. GoodDoktorBad | May 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm |

“We can rebuild him…we have the technology…”

–Oscar Goldman

5. Anonymous | May 24, 2011 at 6:49 am |

6. Ok, there’s a big leap in connotation from “willingly amputates his hand” and “agrees to a procedure that removes a hand he’s lost use of years past and will never be able to use again in the hope that a bionic replacement will give him the use of the hand again”. I hope it works for him 🙂

7. I wish him the best, though I have to question whether we’ve sufficiently advanced to the point where one might use said bionic hand while at the urinal, for instance..

8. I wish him the best, though I have to question whether we’ve sufficiently advanced to the point where one might use said bionic hand while at the urinal, for instance..

9. justagirl | May 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm |

oooh.  equivocal comment – in terms of decapitation.

10. Thelowerrhythm | May 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm |

This site’s poor excuse for journalism continues to astound me with their mainstream-ish, misleading headlines.

11. Thelowerrhythm | May 30, 2011 at 3:30 pm |

12. MorganSea | May 31, 2011 at 1:44 am |

wow, i wonder what it’s like when “the stranger” is a robot?

13. wow, i wonder what it’s like when “the stranger” is a robot?

14. Corpswave66 | Jun 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm |

In 1969 I lost the use of my left arm/shoulder from a blast injury. The Rehab physician recommended a left disarticulation of my left arm/shoulder.  I asked if I could get a prosthesis to replace it, he said no.  In 1980, after many surgeries to try to get function in my hand, I requested that my hand be amputated to be able to wear a hook.  As a scientist I needed the dexterity in my hand in order to continue in my field.  The docters were reluctant, but finally agreed.  I have used a body powered prosthesis (hook) ever since.  I am unable to use a myoelectric (electric) hand because of the lack of nerves necessary, but I was able to return to the lab as a fully functional tech.  A useless body part can be replaced with something functional, no matter what it looks like – I believe function is more important to quality of life, regarless of what it looks like.

15. Corpswave66 | Jun 2, 2011 at 12:14 pm |

• funkpunk | Jun 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm |

so you typed this with one hand? or is it possible to type with a prosthesis?

16. Arnaud Tellier | Jun 2, 2011 at 11:22 pm |

Soon… the bionic penis.

17. Arnaud Tellier | Jun 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

Soon… the bionic penis.

18.  so you typed this with one hand? or is it possible to type with a prosthesis?