Crikey! Aussies To Be Fined For Swearing

350px-Profanity.svgWhat the f*#^? The Sydney Morning Herald reports:

Australians may have a love of plain speaking but new laws are set to curtail some of their more colourful language with police issuing on-the-spot fines for obnoxious swearing.

The country’s second most populous state Victoria is due to approve new legislation this week under which police will be able to slap fines of up to Aus$240 (US$257) on people using offensive words or phrases.

Victorian Attorney-General Robert Clark said the penalties, similar to those issued for speeding or parking illegally, would free up police time.

“This will give the police the tools they need to be able to act against this sort of obnoxious behaviour on the spot, rather than having to drag offenders off to court and take up time and money in proceedings,” he said.

But even the state’s top lawyer admitted to swearing sometimes. “Occasionally I mutter things under my breath as probably everybody does,” he told ABC radio.

[Continues at The Sydney Morning Herald]

37 Comments on "Crikey! Aussies To Be Fined For Swearing"

1. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 12:08 am |

It’s just Victoria, but still utter bullshit. More venue raising from Cop Corporation.

2. dumbsaint | May 31, 2011 at 8:08 pm |

It’s just Victoria, but still utter bullshit. More revenue raising from Cop Corporation.

3. wow, thats bullshit. were fuckin australian. swear words arent that bad over here…

4. wow, thats bullshit. were fuckin australian. swear words arent that bad over here…

5. wow, thats bullshit. were fuckin australian. swear words arent that bad over here…

6. AMorandi | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:23 am |

7. Let’s just hope this plan fails and is implemented no where else. I don’t want to have to pay a fine because someone thinks I shouldn’t say a specific thing. I might not like it if someone told me to go pick some cotton because I am black. I might not like it if someone said that they wanted to have intercourse with my mother. But I as a non-stupid and rational person can see that they are just words and just as I want the freedom to tell someone to go f— themselves  they ought to have the same freedom. And as the great prophet Muhammad once said , “He who is hurt by mere words needs to grow a pair.”

8. Simiantongue | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:57 am |

Just had to post this here. Trying to build a utopia lol.

9. Simiantongue | May 31, 2011 at 11:57 pm |

Just had to post this here. Trying to build a utopia lol.

10. Grooveboss | Jun 1, 2011 at 6:23 am |

former prison colony still active

11. Grooveboss | Jun 1, 2011 at 2:23 am |

former prison colony still active

12. Maybe I’m ignorant. Or maybe just an idiot. IS this site all fake news?

13. Maybe I’m ignorant. Or maybe just an idiot. IS this site all fake news?

• AMorandi | Jun 1, 2011 at 6:25 am |

14. No. They post fake things every once in a while but they are funny and obviously fake. If you want a fake news site there are two of them http://www.foxnews.com/ and http://www.theonion.com/

15. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 10:37 am |

16. Not really surprising considering that they already have draconian censorship applied to video games (if a game is too sexy or violent the government just bans it) and movies. The government really has a strong bias against these kinds of things and even if it’s only Victoria I wouldn’t be surprised to see it spread elsewhere.

• dumbsaint | Jun 1, 2011 at 7:41 am |

Why wouldn’t you be surprised? Do you follow Australian law-making to any extent?  Our laws vary greatly from state to state as much as they do in the US. I can grow a couple of weed plants and get a slap on the wrist in the west for example, not so lucky in Victoria.

The video game censorship thing is a different matter entirely. It relates to the national classification board. The problem is we’re unable to have a new R18+ rating for video games as when the law was made (sometime in the previous century) they were ignorant of the fact that adults play the things too, so M15+ is as high as it went. The vast majority of people involved in creating a new classification are for it, but the vote needs to be unanimous. It is being held up by christian lobby groups leaning on people responsible for key votes. In the meantime the classification board has no place to put these titles as they have to consider what’s decent for a 15 year old, rather than an adult.

It’s not a simple case of an automatic nanny state as is popular for folks elsewhere to imply. It’s as much a case of the church meddling in politics and holding up progress.

17. Anonymous | Jun 1, 2011 at 11:41 am |

The video game censorship thing is a different matter entirely. It relates to the national classification board. The problem is we’re unable to have a new R18+ rating for video games as when the law was made (sometime in the previous century) they were ignorant of the fact that adults play the things too, so M15+ is as high as it went. The vast majority of people involved in creating a new classification are for it, but the vote needs to be unanimous. It is being held up by christian lobby groups leaning on people responsible for key votes. The classification board has no place to put these titles as they have to consider what’s decent for a 15 year old, rather than an adult.

It’s not a case of a nanny state, as is popular for folks elsewhere to imply. It’s a case of the church meddling in politics.

18. GeorgeOrwell | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm |

Spooky!  Just this morning (1st June 2011) it was announced on National News that Barnsley in Yorkshire, UK is enforcing the very same thing?!

19. GeorgeOrwell | Jun 1, 2011 at 9:00 am |

20. Haystack | Jun 1, 2011 at 1:21 pm |

Are the proceeds from this new law, by any chance, stored in a jar?

21. Haystack | Jun 1, 2011 at 9:21 am |

Are the proceeds from this new law, by any chance, stored in a jar?

22. Darthtim23 | Jun 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm |

Despite the popularist Aussie image as being the sweariest people on Earth, surveys have shown that English people swear nearly double the amount than Australians do. Also we drink lots more alcohol per head per year.

Just sayin’ !

23. Darthtim23 | Jun 1, 2011 at 11:42 am |

Just sayin’ !

24. I find that the text of the law is full of offensive words and phrases…

25. I find that the text of the law is full of offensive words and phrases…

26. Fucking bastards. I can’t say I’ve ever been particularly interested in Victoria as a place to visit in Australia, I’d rather go to any other city before Melbourne. But it’s ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous. Motherfucking ridiculous…

27. Fucking bastards. I can’t say I’ve ever been particularly interested in Victoria as a place to visit in Australia, I’d rather go to any other city before Melbourne. But it’s ridiculous. Fucking ridiculous. Motherfucking ridiculous…

28. E.B. Wolf | Jun 2, 2011 at 3:25 am |

So its a manual nanny state.

29. Grooveboss | Jun 2, 2011 at 5:03 am |

fucking x 2 $300 motherfucking = $400 bastards = $100

30. Grooveboss | Jun 2, 2011 at 5:04 am |

The Victorian age was repressed, but its the price to pay for kool wigs

31. Grooveboss | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:04 am |

The Victorian age was repressed, but its the price to pay for kool wigs

32. Aussie Guest | Jun 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm |

A fascist law in Victoria that will allow minority groups to be further discriminated against, depending on the mood of the police on the day, and a fascist government in NSW that gags free speech and passes retrospective laws. Free speech and truth in Australia is now a victim of the press barons and bug business.

33. Aussie Guest | Jun 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |