Do Students Eat Like Prisoners?

Good Magazine looks at the similarity between prison meals and children’s school cafeteria food — both rich in starch-y/milk-y goodness, and costing around $2.65 per day to provide. It should also be pointed out that both children and prisoners are daily confined to small spaces and given little opportunity to burn off these massive calorie counts. I suppose school is intended to be practice for where the kids will eventually end up?

transparency

33 Comments on "Do Students Eat Like Prisoners?"

1. why yes, yes they do. should that be surprising? there has been a heavy push for privatisation of the public school system which parallels the trend of prison privatisation. they want us all to be free labour for the corps and oligarchs. why else would they train us to be docile, rote learning, faux-news watching – no critical thinking- lack of historical/global contexts good little citizens who may or may not show every 4 years.
    democracy? i think not.

2. Jin The Ninja | May 19, 2011 at 11:35 am |

democracy? i think not.

3. i go to a private university that costs +$40,000 per year and they subcontract their dining services to a company contracted almost entirely of prisons.. so yes we do ha

4. i go to a private university that costs +$40,000 per year and they subcontract their dining services to a company contracted almost entirely of prisons.. so yes we do ha

5. Anonymous | May 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm |

6. One side of the question is if we’re not treating the students well enough, but the other side of the question is if we’re treating the prisoners too well. That prison meal actually looks healthier than what the students are getting.

•  I was thinking along those same lines – that the prison lunch looked better than the school lunch.

And I believe the answer is that we’re treating our kids like shit. Yet another reason to home school your kids….

•  Of course. What you want to do is really brutalise your prisoner, really drive them round the edge. So when they come up, they will be as brutal as we possible can make them. Kill the witnesses, major shoot outs with cops, a complete a utter hatred and disregard for human society.
      Yep, you right wing knee jerk idiots are really winning with that 70% recidivism rate, 70% more victims, hurrah. Now if we could only get the criminals to attack the right wingers that support prison brutalisation and homosexual rape, instead of the whole general population.

7.  Hell…in all too many cases both schools and prisons purchase their bulk foods from the same low end providers…companies that specialize in cheaply packaging large amounts of extremely low quality food for feeding large daily populations in institutions. The savings aren’t even that great…especially considering the garbage you get for that little money. I can grasp most peoples desire to be tightwads when it comes to feeding prisoners…even if I disagree on principle…but when it comes to kids??? Anyone who thinks shoveling grunge into kids who need real nutrition is a ‘cost effective’ idea…should have their teeth kicked in…then live on a diet of the crap they imagine is suitable for others.

8.  Hell…in all too many cases both schools and prisons purchase their bulk foods from the same low end providers…companies that specialize in cheaply packaging large amounts of extremely low quality food for feeding large daily populations in institutions. The savings aren’t even that great…especially considering the garbage you get for that little money. I can grasp most peoples desire to be tightwads when it comes to feeding prisoners…even if I disagree on principle…but when it comes to kids??? Anyone who thinks shoveling grunge into kids who need real nutrition is a ‘cost effective’ idea…should have their teeth kicked in…then live on a diet of the crap they imagine is suitable for others.

9. Anonymous | May 19, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

I dunno, back in high school I was part of a prison tour, and I can assure you that although many of the sources may be similar and that the nutrition is beyond dubious, school food is at least, taste-wise, far superior.

There is no question that there exists a strong parallel between prison life and school life for k-12 students. But school lunches always had more variety than the ham sandwich and rock-hard cookie I was served on my prison tour. BTW, for what its worth, Army food is superior to both 🙂

10. MoralDrift | May 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm |

• Mr. Coffee | May 20, 2011 at 4:48 am |

Army food is actually pretty bad ass

wait… did i just admit… HIDE HERE THEY COME

•  Not surprising that the school food tasted better. In school you can still (in some places anyway) bring your own lunch. So you make more money off school lunch if the kids think it tastes good. Nothing about nutrition, mind you, just taste.

11. Grooveboss | May 19, 2011 at 10:29 pm |

the only solution is escape from both

12. Grooveboss | May 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm |

the only solution is escape from both

13.  I was thinking along those same lines – that the prison lunch looked better than the school lunch.

14. Crazy Irish Dan . | May 20, 2011 at 3:13 am |

I went to LA County Jail a few a few years ago and I was struck by the similarities. The ‘is that ham or turkey’ and cheese sandwich, the mini (and always frozen) juice (I’m SURE there’s a full day of Vitamin C in there somewhere!), and other items were just patently identical to what I’d eaten in Florida public schools growing up. I wonder if the only good slice of ‘pizza’ is the slightly over-done one in the corners…didn’t stay long enough to find out, thankfully.

15. Crazy Irish Dan . | May 19, 2011 at 11:13 pm |

16. E.B. Wolf | May 20, 2011 at 3:31 am |

…or at least send them with food from home.

17. E.B. Wolf | May 20, 2011 at 3:31 am |

…or at least send them with food from home.

18. Mr. Coffee | May 20, 2011 at 8:45 am |

Wait wait wait wait… They got that much food in school? They told me to beat up a smaller kid if i was still hungry and take his food!

19. Mr. Coffee | May 20, 2011 at 4:45 am |

20. Mr. Coffee | May 20, 2011 at 8:48 am |

Army food is actually pretty bad ass

wait… did i just admit… HIDE HERE THEY COME

21.  WARMONGER!

sorry.. i had to.

22. Anonymous | May 20, 2011 at 5:11 pm |

23. Anonymous | May 22, 2011 at 6:33 am |

24. Grooveboss | May 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

most schools are part time prisons.

25. Grooveboss | May 22, 2011 at 9:55 am |

most schools are part time prisons.

26. Miss Hartigan | May 23, 2011 at 7:50 am |

not only lunches are similar.  Much of the behavior structure is similar in both places.

27. Miss Hartigan | May 23, 2011 at 3:50 am |