First Cloned Cat Turns Ten Years Old

Cat Clone AnniversaryIt feels like just yesterday that the first generation of cloned animals captured the headlines — now they are passing comfortably into old age (without any bizarre mutations, eyeballs spontaneously falling out, et cetera). Cloned pets turning ten is our generation’s Bob Dylan turning seventy. Via the Houston Chronicle:

Almost 10 years later CC, aka Copy Cat, is still in the College Station area. She has a mate, Smokey, and they live with their three offspring in a cat mansion built by Dr. Duane C. Kraemer, an A&M researcher who helped bring CC into the world.

CC and her family seem like perfectly normal cats, which disappoints many guests hoping to see something more exotic, said Kraemer’s wife, Shirley, the head cat wrangler.

A&M’s cat-cloning operation was an offshoot of the Missyplicity Project to clone a dog named Missy with funding help from a company that wanted to market pet cloning. When the dog-cloning project had little success, researchers turned to cats. About 80 cat embryos were produced, but only one developed into a full-term pregnancy after being transferred to a surrogate mother.

17 Comments on "First Cloned Cat Turns Ten Years Old"

1. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 5:05 pm |

It would be interesting to know how much alike the clone was to the original cell donor in terms of general personality, behaviour etc.

2. GoodDoktorBad | May 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm |

• I imagine it wouldn’t be that different than twins. Sure it’s artificially twinned instead of naturally occurring, but the cat is still genetically the same, even if the “nurture” aspect was different this time around.

3. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 7:43 pm |

4. So I can now have the same cat over and over again? Or 3 of the exact same cat? Awesome.

5. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm |

6. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 7:44 pm |

7. Anonymous | May 25, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

“Cloned pets turning ten is our generation’s Bob Dylan turning seventy” LOL thank you Mr Sloan I needed that

8. dumbsaint | May 25, 2011 at 7:41 pm |

9. St. Augustine | May 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm |

Cat’s are like God’s own stoners, just lying around the house naked all day . . .

10. St. Augustine | May 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

11. Anonymous | May 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm |

I’ve got a 14 year old cat who’s still very healthy.  Not “My” cat anymore, except for playing/favors.  It chose to go over to my mom’s house…and saved her life.  She was complaining it kept waking her up at night, then it turned out the Doctors she was seeing F*cked up and her Rx was draining vitamins from her body like a vampire.  She was for a year at 1/2 the supposed minimum survival level of Potassium and has been taking Rx only mega-doses to try to recover.  The cat could just tell she was sick and insisted on being by her.

That cat, though she’ll probably pass away before I could afford it, I’d like to clone her.

In abstract, though I love the tech I’d think except an infrequent whim, well aren’t there tons of stray animals that need adoption.  But that cat is an instinctive nurturer.  Bad with kittens and other cats, but friendly with humans and children.  A “Stray” that looks kind of like a tortiseshell but started out being a “Black Cat” but with one tiny speck of white fur to the side of the chin…

12. greengestalt | May 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm |

13. How old was she when she was born is what I’d like to know! Wait wait, does little fuzzy Cc, have 8 lives left now, or 18?

14. How old was she when she was born is what I’d like to know! Wait wait, does little fuzzy Cc, have 8 lives left now, or 18?

15. f**k it – lets go ahead and clone people, vegetables and dairy cows. I’m sure it’s not bad for you. just like high fructose corn syrup and trans fats were ok once too.

16. f**k it – lets go ahead and clone people, vegetables and dairy cows. I’m sure it’s not bad for you. just like high fructose corn syrup and trans fats were ok once too.