New York Man Spends Life Savings Ahead of May 21 Doomsday

[disinfo ed.’s note: just as a reminder, the world may end on Saturday. Have a great week!]

A video report from CNN, and below a write up from Fox News:

A New York man spent his entire $140,000 life savings advertising his prediction that the world will end May 21, the New York Post reported Friday.

Robert Fitzpatrick, a 60-year-old Staten Island resident, said he spent at least that sum on 1,000 subway-car placards and ads on bus kiosks and subway cars.

They say, “Global Earthquake: The Greatest Ever! Judgment Day May 21, 2011.”

In a self-published book, “The Doomsday Code,” Fitzpatrick said the Bible offers “proof that cannot be dismissed.”

“Judgment Day will surprise people. We will not be ready for it,” Fitzpatrick said in an interview with the newspaper. “A giant earthquake will render the earth uninhabitable.”

If you want to set an alarm clock, the quake will happen just before 6:00pm local time, he said.

“God’s people will be resurrected. It is also the day that God stops saving anyone,” he said.

Fitzpatrick hopes that he is one of the chosen ones, but he could not be really certain…

For more information, see original article.

74 Comments on "New York Man Spends Life Savings Ahead of May 21 Doomsday"

1. I Know The Truth | May 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

What a crock of shit. I don’t think I want what these guys are smoking.

2. I Know The Truth | May 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

What a crock of shit. I don’t think I want what these guys are smoking.

3. I Know The Truth | May 16, 2011 at 10:52 am |

What a crock of shit. I don’t think I want what these guys are smoking.

4. Jahopson Tx | May 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm |

I can’t wait to hear the lame explanations as to why this didn’t happen when May 22nd rolls around, and we’re all sytanding around looking at these people with an “Ok, let’s hear it” expression on our faces.

5. Jahopson Tx | May 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm |

6. Jahopson Tx | May 16, 2011 at 11:01 am |

7. me too…lol..i was thinking that the other day….what exactly their lame explanation is gonna be…cuz it better be good.

8. He should have gotten some of his rich friends together and they should have all spent their lives’ savings on yellow cake uranium, to make this doomsday a special one! And by special, I mean a real one, because there’s no other way to guarantee the world will end unless you do it yourself. I’m looking at you, al-Qaeda. Start your summer offensive with a bang!

9. He should have gotten some of his rich friends together and they should have all spent their lives’ savings on yellow cake uranium, to make this doomsday a special one! And by special, I mean a real one, because there’s no other way to guarantee the world will end unless you do it yourself. I’m looking at you, al-Qaeda. Start your summer offensive with a bang!

• I have always seriously worried of the day the Third Wave or Phelps or a Christian spiritual warfare sect actually get nukes and try to wipe us all out.  I really think they are more likely to destroy the world than Islamic fundies.  Jingoist factions in Israel as well (Megido is located there).

10. Anonymous | May 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

and also…

“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father”  -Matthew  24:36

So where in the bloody blue blazes does this May 21st jibber jabber come from?

11. He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.” -Acts 1:7

and also…

So where in the bloody blue blazes does this May 21st jibber jabber come from?

12. I have always seriously worried of the day the Third Wave or Phelps or a Christian spiritual warfare sect actually get nukes and try to wipe us all out.  I really think they are more likely to destroy the world than Islamic fundies.  Jingoist factions in Israel as well (Megido is located there).

13. Hey, you’re not reading from the pick’n’choose bible like everyone else. Please pick up your copy at the nearest church.

14. GoodRiddance | May 16, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

Here’s hoping he kills himself on Sunday when he realizes that the world is still just as beautiful and fucked up as it ever was…

15. GoodRiddance | May 16, 2011 at 11:54 am |

16. followups | May 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm |

The big question is who is funding this? Is this gonna coincide with a HAARP related earthquake on the madrid fault line now that its completley flooded?

17. followups | May 16, 2011 at 12:00 pm |

18. 6 pm local time for WHO? Are they saying that every area is going to have an earthquake at 6 o’clock their time? Either way I’m totally ready for rapturpocalypse zombies.

19. 6 pm local time for WHO? Are they saying that every area is going to have an earthquake at 6 o’clock their time? Either way I’m totally ready for rapturpocalypse zombies.

20. Hadrian999 | May 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |

not the only holy book around, personally I’m gonna be pissed if Ragnarok fucks up my summer vacation

21. Actually, this is somewhat incorrect.  Judgment Day will be on May 21st, so they say, but the world will not end until October 21, 2011…

22. Actually, this is somewhat incorrect.  Judgment Day will be on May 21st, so they say, but the world will not end until October 21, 2011…

23. maybe he doesnt need to kill himeself haha..

24. actually tif you want to be accurate. It’s the Day of Rapture. Not the end of the world. Supposedly on the 21st, all BELIEVERS )In Christ) will be raptured to Heaven. There’s still 7 yrs of tribulation after that. THEN judgement Day. It’s all a crock of shit, IMO.

25. actually tif you want to be accurate. It’s the Day of Rapture. Not the end of the world. Supposedly on the 21st, all BELIEVERS )In Christ) will be raptured to Heaven. There’s still 7 yrs of tribulation after that. THEN judgement Day. It’s all a crock of shit, IMO.

26. actually tif you want to be accurate. It’s the Day of Rapture. Not the end of the world. Supposedly on the 21st, all BELIEVERS )In Christ) will be raptured to Heaven. There’s still 7 yrs of tribulation after that. THEN judgement Day. It’s all a crock of shit, IMO.

27. I notice they use the verses that work for their equation but they leave out parts that do not work for them. Matthew 24: Therefor be on alert, for you do not know which day your lord is coming. For this reason you must also be ready; for the son of man is coming at an hour when you do not think he will. But of that day and hr no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the son, but the father alone.

28. I notice they use the verses that work for their equation but they leave out parts that do not work for them. Matthew 24: Therefor be on alert, for you do not know which day your lord is coming. For this reason you must also be ready; for the son of man is coming at an hour when you do not think he will. But of that day and hr no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the son, but the father alone.

29. I notice they use the verses that work for their equation but they leave out parts that do not work for them. Matthew 24: Therefor be on alert, for you do not know which day your lord is coming. For this reason you must also be ready; for the son of man is coming at an hour when you do not think he will. But of that day and hr no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the son, but the father alone.

• To be honest, my last day could be May 18th….my point is we should ALWAYS be ready, death can and usually takes us when we least expect it. If you are always ready, then judgement day is a celebration we can all look forward to. I’m not saying it is or it isn’t, I’m just saying I’m ready either way.! Hope you are too!

30. I think the biggest travisty of this man and many others spending their life savings is what else they could’ve done with that money. Feed the hungry, or a 1000 different charities could’ve benefited from that money, what a prick. Obvioulsy Campings history is very shady when looking at all of this May 21st crap. He centers it all around his occupation within his church and his math only adds up for him. The guy is mad i tell you mad!

31. I think the biggest travisty of this man and many others spending their life savings is what else they could’ve done with that money. Feed the hungry, or a 1000 different charities could’ve benefited from that money, what a prick. Obvioulsy Campings history is very shady when looking at all of this May 21st crap. He centers it all around his occupation within his church and his math only adds up for him. The guy is mad i tell you mad!

32. I think the biggest travisty of this man and many others spending their life savings is what else they could’ve done with that money. Feed the hungry, or a 1000 different charities could’ve benefited from that money, what a prick. Obvioulsy Campings history is very shady when looking at all of this May 21st crap. He centers it all around his occupation within his church and his math only adds up for him. The guy is mad i tell you mad!

33. emperorreagan | May 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm |

I’m looking forward to all of the sarcastic facebook and twitter comments this weekend.

34. emperorreagan | May 16, 2011 at 6:31 pm |

35. Captnavenger | May 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

Well, Thor has already been sighted…

36. Captnavenger | May 16, 2011 at 10:48 pm |

Well, Thor has already been sighted…

37.  I can’t help but respect his total commitment…

…even while I shudder at the horror of epic failure.

38.  I can’t help but respect his total commitment…

…even while I shudder at the horror of epic failure.

39. Simiantongue | May 17, 2011 at 1:48 am |

I think that as many Christians as possible should hide at 5:59 PM that day. That would be the most epic practical joke ever.

40. Simiantongue | May 16, 2011 at 9:48 pm |

41. But he clearly thinks there’s no point feeding the hungry as the world is about to end! He’s gonna look pretty silly on May 22nd!

42. Ricktation | May 17, 2011 at 4:56 pm |

Christians are fucking retarded

43. Ricktation | May 17, 2011 at 12:56 pm |

Christians are fucking retarded

44. Emiliangregory | May 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

I’m really looking forward to meeting Kirk Cameron

45. Emiliangregory | May 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

I’m really looking forward to meeting Kirk Cameron

46. TheCrookedMind | May 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm |

Insanity runs amok!

47. TheCrookedMind | May 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Insanity runs amok!

48. Sounds alot like Heavens Gate or The Branch Dividians… People need to learn that cults are NEVER correct and in the bible it never says only “a chosen few” will ascend to to the great jesus in the sky. The rapture theory came around in the 1800s from one lunatics interpretation of a few lines of revelation…. Im sorry but life isnt that easy, you have to live it like everyone else.  Im tired of these bibe bashers saying people of other faiths arent worthy, its not their place to Judge, isnt that Gods Job? In a way the whole idea of the rapture is evil because it says that only a few people will be with god, I thought god loves all of his children and forgives all? I guess not… but hey doesnt satan only love a few people? Rapture theory is Evil. Nuff’ Said.

49. Sounds alot like Heavens Gate or The Branch Dividians… People need to learn that cults are NEVER correct and in the bible it never says only “a chosen few” will ascend to to the great jesus in the sky. The rapture theory came around in the 1800s from one lunatics interpretation of a few lines of revelation…. Im sorry but life isnt that easy, you have to live it like everyone else.  Im tired of these bibe bashers saying people of other faiths arent worthy, its not their place to Judge, isnt that Gods Job? In a way the whole idea of the rapture is evil because it says that only a few people will be with god, I thought god loves all of his children and forgives all? I guess not… but hey doesnt satan only love a few people? Rapture theory is Evil. Nuff’ Said.

50. To be honest, my last day could be May 18th….my point is we should ALWAYS be ready, death can and usually takes us when we least expect it. If you are always ready, then judgement day is a celebration we can all look forward to. I’m not saying it is or it isn’t, I’m just saying I’m ready either way.! Hope you are too!

51. it seems this guys a fucking nut for the time althrough the dec 21,2012 is solar alienment will bring on changes on tides and winds and hopfully no solar flares,people think it’s bullshit but take the time to look in news and see the frequent number of earthquacks and the flooding of mid america to many ancient people who had no communication all come to the same conclution go luck to us all

52. it seems this guys a fucking nut for the time althrough the dec 21,2012 is solar alienment will bring on changes on tides and winds and hopfully no solar flares,people think it’s bullshit but take the time to look in news and see the frequent number of earthquacks and the flooding of mid america to many ancient people who had no communication all come to the same conclution go luck to us all

53. Whoreslie | May 20, 2011 at 8:57 am |

no worse than the Mayan Calendar end of the world faggots that are all over the internet

54. Whoreslie | May 20, 2011 at 4:57 am |

55. it dident happen its 6pm saturday in austrialia now so suck on that woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

56. it dident happen its 6pm saturday in austrialia now so suck on that woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

57.  not only did that familyradio Camping guy pull that date out of his $$$ with some sort of mathematical equation he used to decipher ezekial, but now, these whack jobs have further added to the myth and now have some sort of new scientific credentials to predict earthquakes.. utterly disgusting.  these people need to be treated the same way a person talking to inner voices needs to be treated: seriously and fast.  and this fits the perfect description of a cult.  if they want the world to end so bad (read: non-christians being punished by God), they are free to go at any point in time.  i honestly do not believe that they really believe they are helping or saving anyone by spreading this word.  it’s just a big slap in the face towards atheists, which by the way, can $$$$ it too.  it’s just as appalling to read atheists (read: anti-christians) getting off on the fact that this whole christian extremist myth is going to make all relatively ‘normal’ christians look like complete loons and hope these $$$hats smear this religion even further.. it’s just too hard to watch.

58.  not only did that familyradio Camping guy pull that date out of his $$$ with some sort of mathematical equation he used to decipher ezekial, but now, these whack jobs have further added to the myth and now have some sort of new scientific credentials to predict earthquakes.. utterly disgusting.  these people need to be treated the same way a person talking to inner voices needs to be treated: seriously and fast.  and this fits the perfect description of a cult.  if they want the world to end so bad (read: non-christians being punished by God), they are free to go at any point in time.  i honestly do not believe that they really believe they are helping or saving anyone by spreading this word.  it’s just a big slap in the face towards atheists, which by the way, can $$$$ it too.  it’s just as appalling to read atheists (read: anti-christians) getting off on the fact that this whole christian extremist myth is going to make all relatively ‘normal’ christians look like complete loons and hope these $$$hats smear this religion even further.. it’s just too hard to watch.

59. No rapture folks – guess you’ll have to go back to “work for Obama” on Monday!

60. No rapture folks – guess you’ll have to go back to “work for Obama” on Monday!

61. Cyborgfranky | May 23, 2011 at 3:23 am |

I love how he blows all his savings and then “hopes” that god will save him. I wouldn’t do that, ever. Probably because I don’t believe in God.

62. Cyborgfranky | May 22, 2011 at 11:23 pm |