President Obama Decides Not to Release Osama Bin Laden Death Photo

Osama Bin Laden Time Magazine CoverVia MSNBC:

President Barack Obama has decided not to release photographs of al-Qaid leader Osama bin Laden’s body, a senior administration official told NBC News on Wednesday.

The decision comes a day after CIA director Leon Panetta said that a photo proving the death of Osama bin Laden “would be presented to the public,” but the comment quickly drew a response from the White House saying no decision has yet been made.

“The bottom line is that, you know, we got bin Laden and I think we have to reveal to the rest of the world the fact that we were able to get him and kill him,” Panetta said in an interview with Nightly News.

Asked by Reuters on Tuesday about Panetta’s remarks, a White House spokesman said no decision had been made about releasing images of bin Laden dead.

The White House had earlier expressed concerns about making any death images of bin Laden public, considering the nature of his fatal wounds. U.S. officials say the still-secret photographic evidence shows a precision kill shot above his left eye, which blew away part of his skull. He was also shot in the chest, they said.

The White House said the photograph of a dead Osama bin Laden is “gruesome” and that “it could be inflammatory” if released.

Read More: MSNBC

72 Comments on "President Obama Decides Not to Release Osama Bin Laden Death Photo"

1. i certainly gotta trust government a lot these days…

2. i certainly gotta trust government a lot these days…

3. i certainly gotta trust government a lot these days…

4. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm |

Just trust them. Governments never lie. They killed him and dumped him in the ocean. Believe!

5. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm |

6. Anonymous_Reader | May 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

• Area 51 does not exists.

• Haystack | May 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

If they released it you’d just say that it’s fake, so what’s the point?

• Anonymous_Reader | May 5, 2011 at 8:53 am |

In his last “official” video message, his beard miraculously changed from gray to black, he looked younger, and the picture froze for his speech, after his opening prayer or whatever the intro was.

He was reported dead and buried in late 2001. The story from the Pakistani press was carried in some American newspapers. He was on kidney dialysis, which means he would need a transplant or he would die soon. He died quietly from kidney failure somewhere supposedly in December 2001. So, maybe God got him, instead of the SEALs, but the US authorities needed an “Emmanuel Goldstein” for Americans to rage at for the last ten years. Now we need an excuse to get the hell out of Afghanistan, which is bleeding us so deep into debt we may never get out, so it was time to officially “kill” him, in a spectacular way, but, no, you can’t view the evidence, nor can any independent forensic expert.

• Mr. Coffee | May 6, 2011 at 3:06 am |

the lizard people tell you that jack off?

• Penguins4life | May 9, 2011 at 1:02 am |

And on top of that, lets say he was in that compound, was he just chilling and waiting in the room until the Seal came in and THEN went for the gun…but wait..where the hell were his bodyguards? Im sure a top FBI wanted guy is going to skipping around with his wife in some random compound. And why so much emphasis on the “Islamic” burial? How many other Muslims have been given that favor?

• Tuna Ghost | May 5, 2011 at 6:37 am |

Are we supposed to pretend that people like you would believe any kind of photographic evidence?

7. Symbollocks The Druid | May 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm |

This makes no sense at all to me.

As gruesome as the photographs may be, surely they could crop them or otherwise airbrush them to obscure the image of Lynndie England shoving a huge black dildo up Osama’s *ss.

Anyhow, if we can’t have images of the dead “Al Qaid” leader, could we at least have some recent photos of fugitive Randy Qaid/Quaid?

8. Symbollocks The Druid | May 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm |

This makes no sense at all to me.

9. Symbollocks The Druid | May 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm |

This makes no sense at all to me.

10. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 6:31 pm |

Watch, if you haven’t caught on yet, this is all a setup to attack Pakistan, then we will control the whole oil pipeline. God forgive us for what we have done.

11. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm |

• Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

I also have some suspicion that the end result will be military action in Pakistan.

But my guess is that a more likely motive would be securing their nuclear arsenal than an oil pipeline. And that the action will more likely be a permanent covert presence or campaign than an overt occupation.

I don’t really pretend to know for sure. You could well be correct. But I would think that if oil were the end all and be all of the discussion that we would have bet a lot more on Iraq. They have much richer oil resources than anyone anywhere near Pakistan. I know we still have a presence in Iraq, but it seems to have shifted heavily toward a pared down special ops thing than massive occupation forces.

• MoralDrift | May 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm |

May or may not be related, but last week I caught a newspaper headline while waiting in line that went something like this “Pakistan tells Karzai to dump US” and it went on to say a little bit about Pakistan encouraging Karzai to align himself with China and Pakistan vs the US.

Does this have something to do with it? I cannot say but it is strange nonetheless

• Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm |

Wow. I’ll have to take a look.

My impression is that the last person on earth Karzai would listen to would be anyone from Pakistan.

But who knows? It’s far from clear to me that either the Afghani or Pakistani governments represent unified fronts in and of themselves. Certainly the Wikileaks documents show that they both display a flaming contempt for America, its government or even the interests of their own “constituents”. Pure feckin’ chaos, it is.

• Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

I couldn’t get the whole article, as I don’t subscribe to the WSJ. But I was able to find other articles on this same meeting–most of them on Fox News properties.

What I’ve seen are all pretty short articles that don’t really describe Afghanistan’s reaction at all. But they are all consistent about the Pakistani minister, his proposal, and significantly, I think–The Date: 27th April 2011.

Anything is possible in the Byzantine clusterfuck of politics and intelligence in the region. But my overwhelming impression is that Karzai is not gonna be too receptive to Pakistani suggestions given that country’s role in Afghanistan’s recent history.

I do also wonder if the ISI had caught wind of some U.S. intelligence chatter about the impending operation that took place only 3 days later, and was trying a desperate bid for some pre-emptory damage control.

• MoralDrift | May 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm |

I think I initially saw it printed on USA Today, but either way its an interesting little tid bit. I don;t think Karzai would be swayed either, not with all he owes to the US. The larger issue is the fact that a nominal US ally, and recipient of much foreign aid, was encouraging a US occupied nation to begin making moves towards China’s sphere of influence. Not too mention the fact that OBL was caught hiding within close proximity to a Pakistani Military Academy…….it will be interesting to see how the US-Pakistan relationship unfolds into the future

12. Voidthought | May 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm |

I’m sure he was shot in the chest first and then executed in the head.

13. Voidthought | May 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

I’m sure he was shot in the chest first and then executed in the head.

• Dinkduchess | May 8, 2011 at 8:54 am |

I think a lot has been missed…Osama hid behind a women and was killed…This story emerges and America looks like it massacred him, “eye for an eye” style. very Arabic in its logic…and it appeals to Muslims extreme and otherwise to hate The American people. He may as well have been lying in his bed attached to a dialysis machine….When killed. It appears unjust.

The story then changes..He was not hiding behind a women or armed when killed…..This makes him look a Martyr and like all whom died for his cause he is a hero….You cannot win…I would lay odds on him just smirking. and then being shot..

You will never see his final moments…For it fuels more hatred…He should have been taken alive, it would have lessened what will inevitably come next

14. This is just a precursor to WWIII, its the Perfect Storm for shit to hit the fan.

15. This is just a precursor to WWIII, its the Perfect Storm for shit to hit the fan.

16. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

17. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

18. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

19. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

20. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

21. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 7:32 pm |

22. Liam_McGonagle | May 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm |

Wow. I’ll have to take a look.

23. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm |

24. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm |

Can someone explain the DNA sampling to me? I keep hearing that through DNA sampling they confirmed it was Bin Laden, but when did they get Osama to take a blood sample?

25. smooth_operator | May 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

26. Anonymous | May 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm |

27. rick povero | May 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm |

Sorry Obama:

You should listen to Carl Sagan. “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”

The government of US routinely lies to the people — it’s a bad habit unlikely to be broken. Show the extraordinary evidence to back up your extraordinary claims!

Too bad we didn’t get a politically correct kill. But, folks do get rushed sometimes.

If I trusted you and the spy/military/corporate complex more, I’d say go ahead, ignore Carl Sagan.

Unfortunately, you’re wrong on this call.

28. rick_povero | May 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm |

Sorry Obama:

Unfortunately, you’re wrong on this call.

• Mr. Coffee | May 6, 2011 at 3:08 am |

Does it matter what is true or false? We’re so god damn far down the rabbit hole it doesn’t even matter. The government could release documents “proving” I’m Adolf Hitler and it wouldn’t bat and eye, and I was born in 1984.

29. superfluous | May 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm |

officials say

30. superfluous | May 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm |

officials say

31. superfluous | May 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm |

officials say

32. Area 51 does not exists.

33. Osama is dead. Everything is ok, the economy will be fixed, healthcare will be fixed, the rising food and oil prices will be fixed. World peace is upon us soon.

34. Osama is dead. Everything is ok, the economy will be fixed, healthcare will be fixed, the rising food and oil prices will be fixed. World peace is upon us soon.

35. Medylami | May 4, 2011 at 9:47 pm |

they compared it with DNA samples taken from a family member

36. If they released it you’d just say that it’s fake, so what’s the point?

37. Tuna Ghost | May 5, 2011 at 10:37 am |

38. Anonymous | May 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm |

39. Anonymous | May 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

Who are “they?”

40. Anonymous | May 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm |

Who are “they?”

41. justagirl | May 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

i got the pic this morning… and dad says “he never looked better”. 🙁

42. justagirl | May 5, 2011 at 9:35 am |

i got the pic this morning… and dad says “he never looked better”. 🙁

43. Mr. Coffee | May 6, 2011 at 7:06 am |

the lizard people tell you that jack off?

44. Mr. Coffee | May 6, 2011 at 7:08 am |

45. Silverknight | May 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm |

so many americans are uneducated futile despots that i have stared not to care that they walking into a living hell, you deserve it for your idiotic lifestyles and non-functional ways of life that it will be your demise.

46. Silverknight | May 6, 2011 at 8:15 am |

47. Anonymous | May 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm |

Oh, the intellect in your rebuttal. I must be wrong, then.

48. Dinkduchess | May 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm |

49. Penguins4life | May 9, 2011 at 5:02 am |

50. Guys they are not going to release the photos for  safety reasons okay?
    idk what reasons but what they are doing is doing it to protect americans…america and our soldiers so please just trust them this time
    the ones on google are fake

51. Guys they are not going to release the photos for  safety reasons okay?
    the ones on google are fake