Two Idiots Name Their Baby Girl ‘Like’ After the Facebook Button

Facebook LikeJesus Diaz writes on Gizmodo:

Lior and Vardit Adler just had a baby girl. She’s probably all cute and wrinkly! But they hate her soo much that they named her Like, in honor of the Like button in Facebook. Of course, they explain it differently:

To me it is important to give my children names that are not used anywhere else, at least not in Israel. If once people gave Biblical names and that was the icon, then today this is one of the most famous icons in the world, he said, joking that the name could be seen as a modern version of the traditional Jewish name Ahuva, which means “beloved.”

I believe there will be people who will lift a eyebrow, but it is my girl and that’s what’s fun about it.

Yes, dear readers, you are totally right: These parents — who live in Hod Hasharon, a town north-east of Tel Aviv, Israel — are idiots. Idiots, idiots, idiots. Idiots. Idiots who named their first two children Dvash — Hebrew for honey — and Pie. Compared to Like, those names seem as normal as John and Jane.

Read More on Gizmodo

42 Comments on "Two Idiots Name Their Baby Girl ‘Like’ After the Facebook Button"

1. Rex Vestri | May 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

Another sign that the world is speeding towards “Idiocracy”

2. Rex Vestri | May 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

Another sign that the world is speeding towards “Idiocracy” as in the movie.

• Most names mean dumb things, but because they come from languages other than English, we don’t think about their original meaning unless someone asks “what does your name mean?” Is it any different than to be named Rosemary? How about Candy? April? Seven (Seinfeld reference)?

All the more so because “Like” is an English word that is as valid of a name in their language as Amy, Cher or Mindy is in ours (all of which mean love in their original languages).

3. Anonymous | May 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm |

Most names mean dumb things, but because they come from languages other than English, we don’t think about their original meaning unless someone asks “what does your name mean?” Is it any different than to be named Rosemary? How about Candy? April? Six (Seinfeld reference)?

4. Grooveboss | May 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm |

My name is Victor, I like what that means.

5. Anonymous | May 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

My daughter, Facebook Google-It, my son, Nike Dell, and I all disagree.  Like is a wonderful name!  We “Like” it!

6. systemofaclown | May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

• I guess that Egyptian man who named his daughter Facebook wasn’t the first after all.

7. I hope her middle name isn’t “Button”

8. I hope her middle name isn’t “Button”

9. The name Laura means penis in Pakistani. I’m sure they think we have plenty of idiots in the US.

10. The name Laura means penis in Pakistani. I’m sure they think we have plenty of idiots in the US.

11. Anonymous | May 26, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

12. jackedu317 | May 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm |

people are getting dumber by the day… there’s nothing more to be said.

13. jackedu317 | May 26, 2011 at 6:55 pm |

people are getting dumber by the day… there’s nothing more to be said.

14. Cut ahead to 2050, where a 39 year old woman explains “There used to be this thing called Facebook…”

15. Cut ahead to 2050, where a 39 year old woman explains “There used to be this thing called Facebook…”

16. Grooveboss | May 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm |

good thing they dont have the dislike button yet

17. Grooveboss | May 26, 2011 at 7:53 pm |

good thing they dont have the dislike button yet

18. She and her brothers Myspace and Friendster can both enjoy the schoolyard beatings together.

19. She and her brothers Myspace and Friendster can both enjoy the schoolyard beatings together.

20. I personally favor T-Bone!!

21. Tuna Ghost | May 27, 2011 at 8:29 am |

I’m enjoying the author’s seething rage at some people half a world away.

22. Tuna Ghost | May 27, 2011 at 4:29 am |

I’m enjoying the author’s seething rage at some people half a world away.

23. Mr. Coffee | May 28, 2011 at 12:25 am |

It’s a better name than Frito Pendaho.

24. Mr. Coffee | May 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm |

It’s a better name than Frito Pendaho.

25. lior? vardit? they’re just getting their own back

26. lior? vardit? they’re just getting their own back

27. The author’s name is Jesus. Okaaaaay.

28. The author’s name is Jesus. Okaaaaay.

29. Way to fail on the Seinfeld reference. The name George recommended was Seven in honor of Mickey Mantle who wore the number 7.

30. Anonymous | May 30, 2011 at 10:41 am |

Apologies, fixed it, love Seinfeld and I’m normally good with these things, but in my defense, I remembered something about six and in the scene where he’s trying to convince them not to use seven he suggested six, nine, and fourteen.

31. THEIR NEXT CHILDS NAME IS GOING TO BE “COMMENT”

32. THEIR NEXT CHILDS NAME IS GOING TO BE “COMMENT”

33. The Critter | Aug 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm |

And they’d be right.

34. The Critter | Aug 17, 2011 at 7:35 pm |

Yes, your post proves it.