World’s Largest Cicada Brood Begins Hatching In U.S. South

cicadasIf the world is going to end this coming weekend, this seems about right. USA Today notes:

Here comes the Brood. An enormous brood of cicadas that covers parts of 16 states is beginning to wake from its 13-year slumber underground.

The inch-long insects have been reported hatching in South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina and Arkansas. They will appear farther north as soil temperatures reach 64 degrees.

“There are billions of them in the trees,” Greta Beekhuis says, speaking by phone from Pittsboro, N.C. The sound of the cicadas is clearly audible over the line. “When I drove from my house to the grocery store, I ran over thousands of them. They’re everywhere. The air is just thick with them.”

Scientists call these cicadas the Great Southern Brood or Brood XIX. It is the world’s largest “periodical” brood, one that surfaces after years.

Cicadas aren’t dangerous, and are non-toxic and even edible, says Kritsky, a biology professor at the College of Mount St. Joseph in Cincinnati. “The Iroquois ate them all the time.”

28 Comments on "World’s Largest Cicada Brood Begins Hatching In U.S. South"

1. Terry Beck | May 18, 2011 at 4:17 pm |

those are some scary looking bugs, weird they sleep for years.

2.  those are some scary looking bugs, weird they sleep for years. Steroids UK Dianabol steroids Dianabol Steroids Steroids Steroids UK Steroids

•  They don’t sleep, they were incubating. When they come out every 13 years, they grow, mate, lay eggs and die.

• Tigerislilly | May 19, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

it sucks that that lady ran over them. im sure it couldnt be helped but how would you like to wake up after 13ys of sleep just to walk a few steps get ready to go then be run over your first hour.

3. Voidthought | May 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm |

I live in the country and these things have made the ground look like swiss cheese! We have 5 dogs though and they enjoy eating them. They are not too bad but still there are thousands of them!!

4. Voidthought | May 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

5. justagirl | May 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm |

i think their eyes are cute.  and they sound like summertime.

6. justagirl | May 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm |

i think their eyes are cute.  and they sound like summertime.

7. mrtastycakes | May 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |

Tip: Remove wings before ingesting.

8. mrtastycakes | May 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm |

Tip: Remove wings before ingesting.

9. Anonymous | May 19, 2011 at 5:05 am |

10. Bird shot seems a tad big, snake shot? Do they even  make 12ga snake shot?  If they do letting a load of it off into a swarm would be neat to watch.

11. UNTITLED-01 | May 19, 2011 at 7:20 am |

Yet ANOTHER reason to not live in the south. As if there weren’t enough already.

12. UNTITLED-01 | May 19, 2011 at 3:20 am |

• Actually this is one of the reasons that I LOVE living in the south (NC), there is nothing like smoking a joint on the back deck and listening to the beautiful drone of them.  When coupled with the bullfrogs it’s like getting to experiences nature’s own ragas.

• I was born and raised in NYC and have been living in NC for 9yrs after loosing my Job do to 911.  You couldn’t pay my to move back to NYC. I go back to visit family once a yr and can’t stay longer than 3 days before I’m ready to leave that nasty, overcrowded, crime ridden place.  The restaurants are nasty, people are nasty and don’t speak. Trust me, you don’t realize it until you move and come back.

13.  They don’t sleep, they were incubating. When they come out every 13 years, they grow, mate, lay eggs and die.

14. I always thought cicadas were cool.  I’d love to see that in person. Shame there aren’t as many down here in/around New Orleans (though the North shore may be a different story).

15. I always thought cicadas were cool.  I’d love to see that in person. Shame there aren’t as many down here in/around New Orleans (though the North shore may be a different story).

16. Tigerislilly | May 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

17. Actually this is one of the reasons that I LOVE living in the south (NC), there is nothing like smoking a joint on the back deck and listening to the beautiful drone of them.  When coupled with the bullfrogs it’s like getting to experiences nature’s own ragas.

18. Ah, what a beautiful morni- *crunch*

19. Ah, what a beautiful morni- *crunch*

20. I was born and raised in NYC and have been living in NC for 9yrs after loosing my Job do to 911.  You couldn’t pay my to move back to NYC. I go back to visit family once a yr and can’t stay longer than 3 days before I’m ready to leave that nasty, overcrowded, crime ridden place.  The restaurants are nasty, people are nasty and don’t speak. Trust me, you don’t realize it until you move and come back.

21. Yes that is what my trees here in IL. Look like gross. Hate them.

22. Yes that is what my trees here in IL. Look like gross. Hate them