1816630067_c70cddc78fGo figure — scans taken when Apple devotees were shown the company’s logo and products demonstrate that we literally worship our favorite brands. Digital Trends writes:

UK neuroscientists suggest that the brains of Apple devotees are stimulated by Apple imagery in the same way that the brains of religious people are stimulated by religious imagery.

Alex Riley contacted the editor of World of Apple, Alex Brooks, an Apple worshipper who claims to think about Apple 24 hours a day, which is possibly 23 hours too many for most regular people. A team of neuroscientists studied Brooks’ brain while undergoing an MRI scan, to see how it reacted to images of Apple products and (heaven forbid) non-Apple products.

According to the neuroscientists, the scan revealed that there were marked differences in Brooks’ reactions to the different products. Previously, the scientists had studied the brains of those of religious faith, and they found that, as Riley puts it: “The Apple products are triggering the same bits of [Brooks’] brain as religious imagery triggers in a person of faith.”

This suggests that the big tech brands have harnessed, or exploit, the brain areas that have evolved to process religion,” one of the scientists says. A meeting with the Bishop of Buckingham, who reads the Bible using his Apple iPad, appeared to back up this assertion. He pointed out how the Apple store in, for example, Covent Garden has a lot of religious imagery built into it, with its stone floors, abundance of arches, and little altars (on which the products are displayed). And of course, the documentary doesn’t fail to give Steve Jobs a mention, calling him “the Messiah”.

68 Comments on "Brain Scans Show Apple Products Triggering The Same Parts Of The Brain As Religion"

1. Anonymous | Jun 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm |

“Brain Scans Show Apple Products Triggering The Same Parts Of The Brain As Religion”.  In other words, a total flatline.

2. Social_Parasite | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

3. Hamsanath437 | Jun 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm |

anyone knowing anything about sigils wouldn’t be shocked by this

4. Hamsanath437 | Jun 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

anyone knowing anything about sigils wouldn’t be shocked by this

• lifemare | Jun 6, 2011 at 5:36 am |

soooo close…
      Now just abandon the superstition
      and consider that both marketing and religion share one thing: iconography
      that both electronic gizmos and religious liturgy share one thing: ritual
      that both mystic thinking and device interfacing share one thing: virtuality

and finally please realize that it’s no wonder the same neurological circuits may govern areas of both these realities (wrong word, sorry)
      and while you’re at it, realize also that this article is nothing but a sensationalist ilusion-mongering wordplay driven solely by the curiosity factor of a powerful catching headline with no deontological interest in truth.

5. Anonymous | Jun 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm |

6. Anyone who’s had any experience with Apple itself knows they purposely encourage this kind of behavior and attitude whether through their products or via customer service. It’s no wonder the Apple fanatics are so unbearable.

7. Max Headroom Episiode 12: Neurostem

“Neurostem” – Advertising device that directly stimulates the
    brain stem to make the individual want to rush out and buy the
    product(s).

8. Max Headroom Episiode 12: Neurostem

“Neurostem” – Advertising device that directly stimulates the
    brain stem to make the individual want to rush out and buy the
    product(s).

• GoodDoktorBad | Jun 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm |

Still vacillating on the day of cleansing of humans from mother earth -Gort? Come on, lets get on with it…

• Agreed.

It is underway.

• jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm |

the “cleansing” isn’t coming from mother earth, it’s coming from our masters…they have no need for this many slaves…

• GoodDoktorBad | Jun 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm |

I was attempting humor…do you know who “Gort” is?

…..and there will be no slaves if we leave behind our need for masters.

• bring on the man-made tsunamis! sorry am i in the wrong room? thought this was part of the ‘conspiracy theory’ debate

9. i totally agree.

10. emperorreagan | Jun 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm |

I bought an iPod a few years ago (5th generation, i think) and was able to sell it on ebay for more than I actually paid for it.  I also sold the iPad I got as part of my Christmas bonus for 75% of new cost after I decided it was a pretty useless device.  Thanks, Apple religious fanatics!

11. emperorreagan | Jun 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

12. jackedu317 | Jun 2, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

do not eat of the forbidden fruit, for ye will surely die… apple, get it?!

13. jackedu317 | Jun 2, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

do not eat of the forbidden fruit, for ye will surely die… apple, get it?!

• GoodDoktorBad | Jun 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

It defiantly reeks of Adam and Eve, forbidden knowledge claptrap. Of course that makes Apple users big time sinners -in theory. lol

• jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 1:16 am |

that was kinda the point… the apple is the symbol for our collective “sins”… and with everything happening, it seems we may be close to “the end” (well, the end of something). i’m not religious, just somewhat well read. symbols are everywhere if you have eyes to see… usually the truth is hidden in plain view…

• jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 1:34 am |

something else… if the apple missing a bite is “knowledge”, think about this. apple gave us products like the eye-phone, eye-pad, eye-pod… eye = eye of god, the all seeing eye… i’m pretty sure all those devices transmit your info to a data base, where everythings recorded for future use… tracking what you do, where you go, what you buy, and so on… (you have to remember that all language is instinctively spoken, not written. that’s why english is so… odd.)

• the point is that all this info is directly recorded on the biggest data base i.e. the subconcious, whats more the collective unconcious. We are getting close to what Jung called a “psychic epidemic” but this time on a global scale

14. Commodity fetishism is religion, so it’s
    not surprising that this is true. I don’t think it’s unique to Apple–
    any superbrand that people consciously use for their own branding is
    going to take the place of religion, especially if they don’t have an
    actual religion to fill that spot. I think that humans are wired for
    some level of devotional/mystical/”I am part of something untangible.”

All of that is an interesting topic in its own right; but for the purposes of this discussion, it’s all bunk. They scanned one single guy,
    who may be a serial killer, and the researcher found “enhanced activity
    in the visual cortex” and “much more visual attention to the Apple
    products.” WOW.

The religious people weren’t involved in this study. but in older
    studies religious people were shown religious symbols, and (only one of)
    the areas activated were similar to the Apple nut’s. But that just
    tests your response to symbols you like, not religious feelings.

Which makes this entire article a lie, a deception. Which, of course, makes it branding.

15. Commodity fetishism is religion, so it’s
    not surprising that this is true. I don’t think it’s unique to Apple–
    any superbrand that people consciously use for their own branding is
    going to take the place of religion, especially if they don’t have an
    actual religion to fill that spot. I think that humans are wired for
    some level of devotional/mystical/”I am part of something untangible.”

who may be a serial killer, and the researcher found “enhanced activity
    in the visual cortex” and “much more visual attention to the Apple
    products.” WOW.

The religious people weren’t involved in this study. but in older
    studies religious people were shown religious symbols, and (only one of)
    the areas activated were similar to the Apple nut’s. But that just
    tests your response to symbols you like, not religious feelings.

• TruthMonger | Jun 2, 2011 at 9:19 pm |

You said:
      any superbrand that people consciously use for their own branding is going to take the place of religion, especially if they don’t have an actual religion to fill that spot. I think that humans are wired for some level of devotional/mystical/”I am part of something untangible.

I disagree. I think people who are highly religious will gravitate toward this brand worship. People who are unreligious will tend to think the brand hype is just hot air. It’s about having a mind that is willing to elevate something to a supernatural level of greatness. People who don’t buy the irrational hype of religion would be unlikely to buy the hype of product marketing.

For my evidence, the one Apple fanatic I know is a guy who works at his church and spends more time there than he does with his family.

As for people being “wired” for religion, I think that’s bunk. We’re wired to wonder about the unknown, sure. But some take a rational-analytical approach to that endeavor in which beliefs depend on evidence; and others take a faith-based superstitious approach which accepts irrational stories as answers to the unanswerable questions. Then they get some smug satisfaction from believing that they know some Sacred Truth, when in fact they’re just deluded. This perfectly describes Apple devotees as well.

• emperorreagan | Jun 3, 2011 at 10:58 am |

Anecdotal evidence is meaningless.  I know quite a few Apple devotees and they are all either atheists or agnostics.  It’s a cherry picked sample of people I’m friends with, which only includes a handful of very religious people but tons of people who identify as agnostic or atheist.

You would have to do a specific study on the topic (I’d be surprised if such studies don’t already exist, but I’m too lazy to look).  I would put money on atheists and agnostics being as susceptible to the hype of product marketing as anyone else.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

16. Anonymous | Jun 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |

17. Anonymous | Jun 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |

18. what? is the word ‘brainwashing suddenly out of vogue? wtf? how can anybody be surprised by this

19. what? is the word ‘brainwashing suddenly out of vogue? wtf? how can anybody be surprised by this

20. If you didn’t know, the Apple I, sold $666, is the computer that technically allowed the banks and financial system to start taking over the world. Eschatological ?

21. If you didn’t know, the Apple I, sold $666, is the computer that technically allowed the banks and financial system to start taking over the world. Eschatological ?

22. see also:
    Chinese teen sells kidney for an iPad 2 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/chinese-teen-sells-kidney-for-an-ipad-2/

23. see also:

24. Psi Gnoma | Jun 3, 2011 at 12:26 am |

As a neuroscientist and student of magick I have to say this is oh, so poorly researched and I furthermore  completely agree with the comment below by Hamsanath

25. Psi Gnoma | Jun 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm |

26. Agreed.

It is underway.

27. TruthMonger | Jun 3, 2011 at 1:19 am |

You said:

28. jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 5:16 am |

29. jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 5:34 am |

30. Hadrian999 | Jun 3, 2011 at 8:11 am |

makes sense, apple is really big on promises and not so much on delivery

31. Hadrian999 | Jun 3, 2011 at 4:11 am |

makes sense, apple is really big on promises and not so much on delivery

32. shiva30001 | Jun 3, 2011 at 12:36 pm |

That is way wrong interpretation. It has nothing to do with having religion… but everything to do with having faith… which Mac owners have for a very good reason. Again, the same neurons flaring, but the wrong slant has been attached.
    I have faith, through years of experience, that my Macs simply work…

33. shiva30001 | Jun 3, 2011 at 8:36 am |

I have faith, through years of experience, that my Macs simply work…

• that’s an interesting distinction, in this case. I think I’d say I have faith that my Mac is gonna just work too (as compared to all the swearing involved with my pc). Hm. That would actually be an interesting study, to see if faith in something activates the same part of the brain as religion itself (considering how often the two do NOT go hand in hand).

But overall, tapping into the slavish devotion area of the brain is kind of the definition and entire reason for existence of Marketing…

34. justagirl | Jun 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

i put an apple sticker on my pc monitor.  now i gets respec.  true story.

35. justagirl | Jun 3, 2011 at 9:54 am |

i put an apple sticker on my pc monitor.  now i gets respec.  true story.

36. emperorreagan | Jun 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm |

37. Anonymous | Jun 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm |

38. As an atheist I am free from religion.  So this is bullshit.

39. As an atheist I am free from religion.  So this is bullshit.

40. jackedu317 | Jun 3, 2011 at 9:40 pm |

41. Anonymous | Jun 3, 2011 at 10:11 pm |

I was attempting humor…do you know who “Gort” is?

…..and there will be no slaves if we leave behind our need for masters.

42. If you know a lot about propaganda and advertising- you would not so naively assert that apple devotion is only to be found in existing-religious persons. The whole “idea” of branding is to develop the so-called iconic status , a “holy” reverence towards the brand from its “devotees – in fact i would assert that non religious persons are MORE likely to develop slavish feelings towards a brand. Apple was/is known as a “hipster” brand- meaning it had an association with cool, rebelliousness, and slightly subversive people- however we know this complete brand propaganda. There is nothing non-mainstream about apple. Very much like american style protestantism. There is an excellent documentary called “Psywars” or “Century of the Self” which examines propaganda and mind control in advertising and media.

43. apple haters…

44. apple haters…

45. lifemare | Jun 6, 2011 at 9:36 am |

soooo close…
    Now just abandon the superstition
    and consider that both marketing and religion share one thing: iconography
    that both electronic gizmos and religious liturgy share one thing: ritual
    that both mystic thinking and device interfacing share one thing: virtuality

46. the point is that all this info is directly recorded on the biggest data base i.e. the subconcious, whats more the collective unconcious. We are getting close to what Jung called a “psychic epidemic” but this time on a global scale

47. the point is that all this info is directly recorded on the biggest data base i.e. the subconcious, whats more the collective unconcious. We are getting close to what Jung called a “psychic epidemic” but this time on a global scale

48. bring on the man-made tsunamis! sorry am i in the wrong room? thought this was part of the ‘conspiracy theory’ debate

49. just somebody | Jun 10, 2011 at 6:42 pm |

this is an example of really, really bad science

50. just somebody | Jun 10, 2011 at 2:42 pm |

this is an example of really, really bad science

• just somebody | Jun 10, 2011 at 2:45 pm |

you are all idiots, whether you worship god, buy apple products, or otherwise. these parts of your brain could become active while playing ping pong for all we know. this kind of ‘science’ doesn’t say anything at all, it simply correlates. it lets idiots like you draw the conclusions.

51. just somebody | Jun 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm |