Atheist Life Vs. Religious Life (Video)

142 Comments on "Atheist Life Vs. Religious Life (Video)"

1. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 11:18 am |

1. Most religions are not full of illogical absolutes (e.g. “Do not lie” which is not actually anywhere in the Bible either) but have perfectly reasonable absolutes, often the same ones that stem from a logical viewpoints (i.e. Don’t Murder, which is a legitimate rule not to be conflated with the mistranslation of “Don’t kill”).

2. A person’s view of a catastrophe is irrelevant; the belief that some deity caused the accident is no more comforting than an accident. The same things religious people wonder about would also occur to a non religious person (why couldn’t I have done something different to prevent the accident?) regardless of your choice of cause. Both religion and secular psychology have ways of helping people deal with loss and the kinds of questions people will have, generally with the same result.

3. Atheism does not give you a free pass to being friendly with anyone. There will always be something to put people in different groups or ideologies, and two atheists are just as susceptible to differing ideologies. Atheist democrats and republicans are not friends, and neither are atheist communists and capitalists. Atheism, since that it has no ideology other than no god, means an atheist could hold any ideology, whether pleasant or repulsive.

4. I doubt many Atheists truly raise their children with choice any more than religious people do. Atheists, like any ideology, will either be transferred to kids (kids want to emulate their parents and often accept how they are raised, if the parents believe nothing and raise the kids in such a way, the kids will generally believe nothing) or the kids might choose to become religious, fostering friction like any family where the kids choose a different path.

5. The point about forgiveness is irrelevant as God is merely a conduit to try to get people to act better than they would naturally choose, but it’s not to say that someone would be unable to do so without God.

6. Sin is another conflated issue as sin is simply a religious code word for something that goes against the culture some of which are criminal in nature, and there are many secular “sins” in that regard.

7. There are many religions which do not restrict what people can learn.

8. There are many religions which do not have a problem with serious questioning, and being atheist does not grant you immunity from stubbornness and being illogical.

9 . Same deal with original sin, a concept limited to a single religion and even then not all interpreters of it agree.

10. Same deal regarding women.

2. Another video based on misunderstandings of religion conflating all religiosity with mindless versions of Christianity (i.e. half the video mentions issues about heaven hell which are not applicable to other religious). The ignorance in assuming that a person who is religious is automatically christian and holding christian viewpoints is simply astounding considering their claims of superiority simply for being atheistic.

7. There are many religions which do not restrict what people can learn.

10. Same deal regarding women.

• FactoryWorker | Jun 26, 2011 at 10:42 pm |

On No.4 My daughter goes to a Christian school and learns about god, goes to church. I’m an atheist.
      On 7 and 8 another thing for us to remember is that a lot of our beliefs and scientific knowledge came from Christian scholars etc in the past anyway, and our culture including how we western atheists are highly skeptical in general is derived from historical culture, in all probability even our morals would be highly influenced by theistic thinking/history.

• Interesting but sending a kid to a christian school is not necessarily the same as raising the child with choice. There are plenty of people who send their kids to catholic schools for a better education without being catholic themselves and they aren’t making Catholicism a choice. Just wondering: Is the daughter’s mother also an atheist? What sort of message is she getting at home (i.e. is that message like the video describes as “you can believe whatever you want”)?

• Pssst… Guilt works the same way in atheists as it does in Christians.  I can understand that guilt driving an atheist parent to put their child in a Christian school just to give them the opportunity to deny the institution as well.  I know because I was put in a Christian school by a non-religious parent.  Yes, I eventually rejected the Christianity idea and went through all the in-between stages and now have a deeper understanding of a God of my own, but it definitely would have worked just as well if my parent just told me “Look, I just don’t know about all of that…,” but actually, I can’t complain because that experience got me where I’m at now, which I’m grateful to have.  But, anyways… still, guilt.  It’s not “right” or “wrong” to put your child in a Christian school when you yourself do not believe, but it is a little misleading later when the child also thinks there must be either Christian God or no God at all, but I guess you can’t convey something as to which you do not possess…

3. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 26, 2011 at 11:25 am |

All this crap about atheism vs. theism is actually intellectually debilitating. Not all religious people believe in the huge generalizations made in this video. In fact, many religious/spiritual people dont believe anything that they are said to believe in this video. Except for maybe fundamentalist xtians.

It seems to me that there is two sweeping sides of the atheism movement.

There are atheist’s who state that God’s, Godesses, Spirits, Other Dimensions, Unseen Realities, Deities, or whatever religious/spiritual believe in are all completely false and there is no point in even looking at these issues because its all delusional. They believe there is no value there and that there could never be gods or spirits and we shouldn’t even care if there is.

Then there are atheist’s (who dont indentify being agnostic) who state that we dont know, and maybe its important to look at or maybe its not.

I think it all comes back to a healthy dose of humility.

4. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jun 26, 2011 at 7:25 am |

It seems to me that there is two sweeping sides of the atheism movement.

I think it all comes back to a healthy dose of humility.

5. You can use either religious stance to justify whatever actions or attitudes you happen to have. “I must kill to create a purer society for God” “I must not kill as it would anger God” “I am free to kill because there is no God” “I must not kill because human life is the most valuable thing”.

If you convert from religion to atheism, or from atheism to religion, you probably will not change very much as a person, so we would be better off just keeping the debate at whether or not belief in God is reasonable.

6. You can use either religious stance to justify whatever actions or attitudes you happen to have. “I must kill to create a purer society for God” “I must not kill as it would anger God” “I am free to kill because there is no God” “I must not kill because human life is the most valuable thing”.

• Well that debate is already settled.  It runs along the lines of this:

There are 4 ways the universe could have come into being: It appeared from nothing, was always here, was created by something that came from nothing, or was created by something that was always here.  Only nothing can come from nothing, so options 1 and 3 are immediately out.  That leaves us with either an eternal universe (no problems there) or an eternal deity who created the universe (no problems there).  Therefore, belief in God is just as reasonable as belief in an eternal, naturalistic world.

Obviously this is the super simplified sparknotes version of the argument.

• Your arguement only works if you ignore quantum mechanics and apply the name “God” to whatever the first process is that started the show.  A singularity for instance that inflated into the big bang could be called god with your poor reasoning.

Presuming consciousness, purpose, and anything else of that nature is silly and unnecessary.

Science will continue to understand the nature of things while spiritual people twiddle their thumbs and exercise their imaginations…only their land of make believe gets people killed and ruins lives all so they can feel a little bit better about death.

• What a backward way of thinking. Tell that to these “thumb-twiddlers”:
          Nicholas Copernicus, Sir Francis Bacon, Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton, William Thomson Kelvin, Einstein, and basically every other theist person that developed the major branches of science and furthered our understanding of the universe around us. Your logic doesn’t seem match up to real world application.

Oh yeah, and scientific theory? Totally a spiritual trip from a thumb twiddling Muslim.

7. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 1:47 pm |

A guy I know just ‘found’ atheism. He’s suddenly become as boorish and full of rhetoric as any born again christian you’ll meet. People on both sides of the fence need a big cup of stfu and to let a person value the word ‘maybe’.

8. dumbsaint | Jun 26, 2011 at 9:47 am |

A guy I know just ‘found’ atheism. He’s suddenly become as boorish and full of rhetoric as any born again christian you’ll meet. I know these people just want everyone around them to agree with them so they can feel comfortable with their choice. What they really need to is have a big cup of stfu and let a person value the thought ‘eh, maybe’.

• DeepCough | Jun 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm |

Well, here’s why I choose atheism: because I think life is plenty difficult already from the womb to the tomb without us, humans, having to organize a serial ritual of worship to satisfy the primitive whims of some imaginary, overbearing, tyrannical tribal sky-deity which, in the end, is just going to destroy me in furious spite of my prostration, tithing, and good works anyhow, and I don’t need to convert anyone, because that very bleakness alone should be enough to dissuade anyone from religion.

• Your characterization of what you believe to be the one and only alternative to atheism reveals that basically don’t know anything whatsoever about religious belief as a whole on Planet Earth.

• DeepCough | Jun 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

Go fuck yourself, Bethy Williams: you not only committed the same sin of Pride I did, but you demonstrated that you don’t know anything about atheism or atheists in general, like a common Christian Fundamentalist.
          I don’t have to respect religion when it insists on being ass-backward everyday for over 1,000 years and then starts to piss and moan when it begins to become irrelevant (Christianity, I’m lookin’ at you), and while I don’t rebuke anyone for their dispassion toward the issue like dumbsaint, I don’t got any patience for religious apologetics when, at the end of the day, religion has done the utmost to keep people stupid and fill the coffers of the most lowly parasites known to man: theologians. Finally, if I don’t know anything about religion, then why am I aware of the role that entheogens have played in creating the sort of imagery that has dazzled humans in the ancient world, which might I add, you ought to look into, because your art, quite frankly, is narcissistic and redundant.

• I didn’t demand respect for religion, I demanded that someone who makes a statement knows what the hell he is talking about. However, based on your response I am no longer under the impression that I am talking to an adult, so hopefully that’s the sort of thing you will sort out when you grow up.

• DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 1:47 am |

Yeah, I expected that kind of weak response from someone with an iCarly avatar.

• Perhaps you should take a closer look at the icon and see what’s wrong with that statement. Or maybe try passing me a note in study hall. Here’s a tip for after graduation: calling someone an iCarly fan in an attempt to discredit them doesn’t have much effect on people over the age of 15.

Let’s recap: you characterized “religion” as something that has nothing to do with the vast majority of religious thought throughout the world and history. You don’t even seem to realize that monotheism is the minority in the world as far as religion is concerned, let alone monotheism as you described. I said that you don’t know what you’re talking about, because as far as this specific topic goes, you don’t. You seem to have little to offer as far as discussion goes but defensiveness and bizarre, unfocused anger. If you’re not chronologically an adolescent (and I very seriously suspect that you are) you at least have an adolescent mindset. I myself graduated from high school years ago. I don’t really think it makes sense for me to attempt any kind of detailed discussion with someone who can’t even seem to manage grown-up conversation.

• DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Is that the best you can do? Play the “Maturity Card” ad mortem? And on the internet of all places? And am I supposed to be impressed that you graduated from high school (you gonna show me your Special Olympics medals, too)? Your sentences are so goddamned contrived it actually caused half my brain to shut down due to massive Windows error. Speaking of errors, I don’t know where the fuck-all you got the idea that “monotheism is the minority in the world as far as religion is concerned” when Islam alone has one-sixth of the world population and Christianity and is twice that very number (if you’re bad at word problems, the answer is 3 billion). I am not exactly sure what you were trying to do in responding to me, but you showed that you’re just as selfish and petty as I am, so I suggest you get outta that glass house, because my glass house has a gun turret on it.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 5:01 am |

You didn’t really attempt to refute her version of events, though, did you?  Can we take that as tacit agreement?

• DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 10:44 am |

How about we tacitly agree that you can’t fucking read. Does that seem fair to you? Maybe if Bethy Williams wasn’t such a parrot who took the time to study outside of her high school curriculum–like I did–she would be able to respond to my rebuttals.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 5:08 am |

Guy.  Just admit that you’re guilty of lazy writing or lazy reasoning.  It happens to us all.

• DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 10:37 am |

Excuse me, now who’s the biased one: you immediately take sides with the one trying to detract me, and she didn’t even bother to fact-check her own off-hand statistical argument, which made absolutely no sense on its face. Even at my laziest I have the sense to use a search engine to verify the amount of believers in the world.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:24 am |

I gotta say Tuna, I admit that you do not stand for complete nonsense coming from any point of view.

• Also not really sure where you got the idea that I was any kind of Christian, let alone a fundamentalist…? Perhaps count to ten next time before you respond.

• You are atheist, but can pull out “sin” as long as it seems to work in your favor?  Oh, I see now, you picked a deadly sin.. So are you acknowledging you live your life according to a belief system?   Anyways, what I think dumbsaint was saying was there is not only ONE higher power to choose from… and I don’t just mean other religious deities if Bible God doesn’t fit your preference… a relationship with a supreme being or God (if you wish to call “it” that, which I know a lot of people who don’t feel comfortable using that word even still) is an entirely a personal experience.  It is a humbling experience knowing your will isn’t what’s keeping your ass alive that there “may* just be a greater plan in mind and you just so happen to be a part of it.  I tend to think of religions as a beginner’s guide to a more spiritually-guided way of life (read: a life not entirely ran on self-will, emotion, and raw instinct) and the higher powers these religions set forth tend to be slightly mystical and unrealistic for my taste, so fortunately, I was able to choose a God of my *own* understanding, that I could relate to, and was directly connected within me.  The point is to be able to visualize something, anything larger than yourself.  The purpose religion serves is to create that “image.”  The images you choose to use when refuting a system of belief reflect that of Christianity, which would lead anybody to believe that you are so rebellious of Christianity, in and of itself, that you are actually incapable of looking beyond to the much larger picture.  Fact is, you have a purpose here and I don’t need to tell you that or else you wouldn’t choose to get up everyday, it’s whether or not you choose to allow any kind of guidance into your life that may help you seek to fulfill that purpose.  Nobody is trying to control you.  Really, it’s the choice between being miserable or not.  And that is entirely up to you.

• DeepCough | Jun 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

If religion can’t stand the heat, then maybe it should get outta Hell’s Kitchen. And why should I give quarter to any other form of asceticism on this planet that doesn’t bother to contemporize itself here in the 21st century? Like you said, religion is just a security blanket, one you gotta grow out of if you’re going to get up in the morning and face reality, because, quite frankly, Karma could not give less of a shit about the human condition.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 5:07 am |

Wrong question.  THe question is, why should you give a shit?  Is it directly affecting your rights?  Your pursuit of happiness?  Your liberty?  If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, go ahead.  If not, its no business of yours whether or not someone has a security blanket.

• DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 10:34 am |

As a matter of fact, it fucking has, ever since the beginning of the 21st century. You can actually trace the growth of government in the United States with one of the most religious political movements in human history: Prohibition. This was 10 years of the worst nonsense ever put it into law: the belief by ultraconservative Christians that alcohol was so evil that it should be abolished totally–and it led to nothing but increased crime and corrupt government that affects all of us DIRECTLY to this very day. And the U.S. Constitution has built-in protections against this sort of idiocy, but even the writers of the Constitution were not able to anticipate how the wall against church and state would fall faster than the Berlin Wall.

• DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 10:42 am |

Beginning of the 20th century. Minor typo.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:19 am |

Wow DeepCough, you continue to amaze the masses with your diverse level of education.  I think a good reason you might know a small fact like that is because you spent a few minutes on Wikipedia.  You lack the ability to convince a single person with a shred of education on world history or it’s religions that you have any credibility.  Never ceases to amaze me how you haters get one half fact, don’t research anything about it but immediately spew it in forums like this.  Go get a real education.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:29 am |

Atheism took a much shorter amount of time to  get to work.  Soviet Russian genocide is a perfect example.  Deepcough is not capable of thinking beyond the stereo types, common amongst the adolescent.  Please share with us, what should be done to fundamentalists.

• dumbsaint | Jun 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm |

That’s only the experience of the more miserable fuckers within a given abrahamic religion though. Believing in a mythology seems to help a lot of people get through life. I’m not a religious person myself, but I find the act of taking people to task over how they choose to deal with their existential quandaries a tad distasteful. Tolerance and respect for others is the way forward.

• Yep, and that’s what’s wrong with Atheism today. If you intellectually believe in being atheist, great, but most atheists I know are atheists because they have emotional problems with Christianity and can’t tell the difference between that and religion as a whole.

• This times a fucking million. I get tired of being lumped in with every single Christian in every clever atheist rhetoric for being “religious”.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:31 am |

Yes, tolerance for the miserable fuckers within a given Abrahamic religion.  You couldn’t even get through a single post without blatant hypocrisy.

• I believe a person can be religious without religious frills and guilt-ridden action.  So many religious people are not inclined to persuade or instruct the masses.  I find religions to be a great thing.

If you are alluding to a particular religion in  your statement, which I believe you are, I don’t think you accurately depict honest tenets of the doctrine.   You may have experience with “members” who have themselves embodied your characterization, but they are most likely naive and ill-informed.  Religion is not meant to harm.  The inception of doctrine is for good.  It is also powerful.  Unfortunately, there are bad people.  They abuse the doctrine for their benefit, no matter how insignificant the benefits seem.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 4:59 am |

Those aren’t for the sky-diety, they’re for the people doing it.  They always have been.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:33 am |

I choose not to believe in earthquakes and hurricanes because they suck too, this logic is awesome.  I can take anything that doesn’t bring me happiness and just conclude that it must not exist.

• anti-crowley | Sep 30, 2011 at 9:37 am |

You know that huh?  Generalizing along with your logic of choosing what to believe in based on what uses rhetoric (logical argument) is cool, but denouncing everything else and making no claims about what you think is true leaves us to assume you are anything but worth listening to.

9. This video will get lots and lots of comments and nothing will be decided and nobody will change their mind.

10. This video will get lots and lots of comments and nothing will be decided and nobody will change their mind.

• dumbsaint | Jun 26, 2011 at 9:57 am |

I didn’t read your comment but you’re wrong and here’s quote ‘x’ from Pastor/Heathen to prove it. I figure you’ll reply in kind before we get down to a couple rounds of ad hominem and call it a night.

• Ha ha.. Either you read Andrew’s previous posts or your the king of Random Irony.

11. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

12. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

13. downtown dave | Jun 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm |

The conclusion is simple:  he who has the Son (Jesus) has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life, for God’s wrath remains on him.  http://atheistlegitimacy.blogspot.com/

14. downtown dave | Jun 26, 2011 at 10:00 am |

• Jesus was just a confused Buddhist with limited enlightenment powers.

INRI;

I Nearly Reached India

15. Doc Fothergill | Jun 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm |

This video is ridiculous and not all encompassing at all. It only speaks of one small group of people who probably don’t exist, or at least of Christians with his heaven and hell comparison generalizing that ALL religious people believe in hell. This video has no merit and shouldn’t even be talked about. Wait a second…woops, I’m talking about it right now. My bad.

16. Doc Fothergill | Jun 26, 2011 at 12:07 pm |

17. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm |

Believe what you will. Reap the consequences.

18. GoodDoktorBad | Jun 26, 2011 at 1:09 pm |

Believe what you will. Reap the consequences.

19. Jesus vs little drummer boy

20. Jesus vs little drummer boy

21. Well that debate is already settled.  It runs along the lines of this:

22. The reason atheists are attacking religion more and more is because religious beliefs cause more harm than good.

If everyone was sane and could keep their beliefs to themselves without harming others there wouldn’t be an arguement, but religion as a whole infects the everyday lives of people around the world and makes things worse for mankind in general.

It’s not a debate, it’s a fact.

23. The reason atheists are attacking religion more and more is because religious beliefs cause more harm than good.

It’s not a debate, it’s a fact.

• I think scapegoating, no matter where the finger it pointed at, causes more harm than good.  If everyone was reasonable enough to know that they don’t have all the answers nor do they have the “correct” or “right” point of view, they world would be more open minded.  But the lack of ability to look honestly at oneself and realize that we do not like in others what we do not like in ourselves, keeps us pointing fingers at others and finding simple, black and white answers to complex questions, such as “Why does humanity cause so much suffering upon itself.”

• FactoryWorker | Jun 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm |

To bad that atheist societies are no different. People in general are that way, its not to do with theism or atheism. Look at communist countries for atheist state behavior or Islamic countries for fundamentalist Islamic behavior or in history books for how Christian societies historically behaved.

24. I think scapegoating, no matter where the finger it pointed at, causes more harm than good.  If everyone was reasonable enough to know that they don’t have all the answers nor do they have the “correct” or “right” point of view, they world would be more open minded.  But the lack of ability to look honestly at oneself and realize that we do not like in others what we do not like in ourselves, keeps us pointing fingers at others and finding simple, black and white answers to complex questions, such as “Why does humanity cause so much suffering upon itself.”

25. Wow.  This video is… complete and utter bullshit.  There is not a single point in his entire 10 minute spiel that is true, either in its anti-religious sense OR the pro-atheist sense.  Not a single one.

How do you even generalize “religion”?  It is clear he is coming from the assumption that religion = god.  Buddhism, one of the larger religions in the world (maybe 400 million) does not believe in a god at all.

It is also quite clear that he did this all on his own using the culmination of his 0 minutes of research.  I’m not even going to go into any points because they are literally ALL wrong.

Shame on you, disinfo, for posting this at all.  Even after all that all this is saying is that “Atheism is fuzzy and easy, so it must be true.”

26. Wow.  This video is… complete and utter bullshit.  There is not a single point in his entire 10 minute spiel that is true, either in its anti-religious sense OR the pro-atheist sense.  Not a single one.

27. The nazi drop before minute 2. lol.  Atheism is a belief in the status quo.

28. The nazi drop before minute 2. lol.  Atheism is a belief in the status quo.

29. DeepCough | Jun 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm |

30. A healthy psyche can be religious or non-religious. An unhealthy psyche can be religious or non-religious.   Everything we need to know about getting along with others begins long before ideology takes root.

31. A healthy psyche can be religious or non-religious. An unhealthy psyche can be religious or non-religious.   Everything we need to know about getting along with others begins long before ideology takes root.

32. A healthy psyche can be religious or non-religious. An unhealthy psyche can be religious or non-religious.   Everything we need to know about getting along with others begins long before ideology takes root.

• dumbsaint | Jun 27, 2011 at 12:36 am |

Out of curiosity, are you the same Bishop from Radio Misterioso fame?

• A fat joint | Jun 27, 2011 at 12:59 am |

A healthy psyche is creative, or else you are just eating and breathing my air.

• I wouldn’t call belief in something supernatural without proof a “healthy psyche”.

• anonymous | Jun 27, 2011 at 5:59 pm |

One thing I’ve noticed is a lot of atheists are boring, lack a sense of humor, lack anything that is can be considered novel as a personality trait, lack and imagination and creativity, and do nothing but beat the drum until the hide splits about how the are an oppressed minority that should rule the masses they percieve as being ignorant, inhuman, and lacking in basic human worth.

33. Your characterization of what you believe to be the one and only alternative to atheism reveals that basically don’t know anything whatsoever about religious belief as a whole on Planet Earth.

34. Your characterization of what you believe to be the one and only alternative to atheism reveals that basically don’t know anything whatsoever about religious belief as a whole on Planet Earth.

35. Anonymous | Jun 26, 2011 at 11:55 pm |

36. Ha ha.. Either you read Andrew’s previous posts or your the king of Random Irony.

37. Feistymomma | Jun 27, 2011 at 2:05 am |

I misread…I saw Rape the consequences and was frightened.

38. FactoryWorker | Jun 27, 2011 at 2:36 am |

39. FactoryWorker | Jun 27, 2011 at 2:36 am |

Atheism isn’t a movement, people need to stop adding extra meaning to what the definition of atheism is. Theists and athiests only have one difference. Besides that they are as varied and diverse as humans are capable of being. Stop the hate.

40. FactoryWorker | Jun 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm |

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 5:12 am |

What about militant atheists?  They have goals in line with their beliefs and actively pursue them, how is that not a movement?

41. FactoryWorker | Jun 27, 2011 at 2:42 am |

42. DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 3:05 am |

43. I didn’t demand respect for religion, I demanded that someone who makes a statement knows what the hell he is talking about. However, based on your response I am no longer under the impression that I am talking to an adult, so hopefully that’s the sort of thing you will sort out when you grow up.

44. Also not really sure where you got the idea that I was any kind of Christian, let alone a fundamentalist…? Perhaps count to ten next time before you respond.

45. Anonymous | Jun 27, 2011 at 4:36 am |

Out of curiosity, are you the same Bishop from Radio Misterioso fame?

46. A fat joint | Jun 27, 2011 at 4:59 am |

A healthy psyche is creative, or else you are just eating and breathing my air.

47. I wouldn’t call belief in something supernatural without proof a “healthy psyche”.

48. Atheism and christian fundamentalists are 2 sides of the same coin. Both are absolutely sure of their beliefs. How anyone can be so certain I don’t understand. Just because spituality has been hijacked by religion, does not in my mind mean there is definitely nothing else apart from what we can see. Believe what u want but don’t try to argue that your beliefs are right. They are but beliefs.
    Ps I couldn’t watch past the begininning, it’s ok to lie? Why?

49. Atheism and christian fundamentalists are 2 sides of the same coin. Both are absolutely sure of their beliefs. How anyone can be so certain I don’t understand. Just because spituality has been hijacked by religion, does not in my mind mean there is definitely nothing else apart from what we can see. Believe what u want but don’t try to argue that your beliefs are right. They are but beliefs.
    Ps I couldn’t watch past the begininning, it’s ok to lie? Why?

• If you think scientific evidence is of equal value to faith you are mentally ill.

• You are a minority in thinking that, and that has been so throughout our entire traceable history. The fact that faith is one of the leading common traits in happiness and longevity is scientifically significant.

50. DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 5:47 am |

Yeah, I expected that kind of weak response from someone with an iCarly avatar.

51. If you think scientific evidence is of equal value to faith you are mentally ill.

52. Your arguement only works if you ignore quantum mechanics and apply the name “God” to whatever the first process is that started the show.  A singularity for instance that inflated into the big bang could be called god with your poor reasoning.

53. Voidthought | Jun 27, 2011 at 6:48 am |

I don’t give a fuck if you live a universeless mentality of complete being dispersing and highly aware of everything…. live your own illusions and if you are strong enough you’ll come to know more than just “you”. Life is too conformed to culture, we need to have some brave people attempt and practice new modes of thinking that inspires a change from the world outside of themselves. If “we” the interested party, have a limiting mindset, ie Christianity, conservative, moderate, black man, poverty, sinner, genius there will always be the withs and the withouts. We create our circumstances because we all agree on what the rules of these societies function at and like math there are endless permutations of outcomes and everyone lives one and thinks of themselves as seperate and “at the center” than everyone else. Life is strange.

54. Voidthought | Jun 27, 2011 at 2:48 am |

55. Perhaps you should take a closer look at the icon and see what’s wrong with that statement. Or maybe try passing me a note in study hall. Here’s a tip for after graduation: calling someone an iCarly fan in an attempt to discredit them doesn’t have much effect on people over the age of 15.

56. Anonymous | Jun 27, 2011 at 10:28 am |

Interesting but sending a kid to a christian school is not necessarily the same as raising the child with choice. There are plenty of people who send their kids to catholic schools for a better education. Just wondering: Is the daughter’s mother also an atheist? What sort of message is she getting at home (i.e. is that message like the video describes as “you can believe whatever you want”)?

57. Anonymous | Jun 27, 2011 at 10:34 am |

58. religion just another form of propaganda. There is a driving force behind the creation of this universe and the steering of evolution but how any one living could profess to know the truth behind it is beyond me it shouldn’t be atheist vs religion it should be truth vs mysticism. Many Atheist disregard proof that there is a force we dont understand yet some call it higgs boson some call it god particle. Many other things that cant be explained by science loss of em field and weight at death etc are simply ignored its just as bad as religion followers blindly following texts that have no basis in facts. If I was to state a hypothesis right now that will explain all the controversies in religion and atheism the proof of which is self evident to me but of course real research is needed. Science and religion agree in the beginning there was no matter. There was either energy or god depending what side you lean to. then there was “let there be light” or the “Big bang” then they start to disagree on many points. My hypothesis states” What if in the beginning there was Potential energy a sentient energy “god” that created the matter and rules of the universe in one big bang in such a way that sentient life would evolve and create experiences. At the point this begins this energy being transmutes itself into matter and the expansion of the universe begins. So “god is everything” Since every thing is a piece of god harming others is harming oneself we must evolve sufficiently to experience without harming others experiences. Because at the end of the universe the “big cool” where all matter collapses into a singularity it will be transmuted back to the first state where all will be 1.

59. religion just another form of propaganda. There is a driving force behind the creation of this universe and the steering of evolution but how any one living could profess to know the truth behind it is beyond me it shouldn’t be atheist vs religion it should be truth vs mysticism. Many Atheist disregard proof that there is a force we dont understand yet some call it higgs boson some call it god particle. Many other things that cant be explained by science loss of em field and weight at death etc are simply ignored its just as bad as religion followers blindly following texts that have no basis in facts. If I was to state a hypothesis right now that will explain all the controversies in religion and atheism the proof of which is self evident to me but of course real research is needed. Science and religion agree in the beginning there was no matter. There was either energy or god depending what side you lean to. then there was “let there be light” or the “Big bang” then they start to disagree on many points. My hypothesis states” What if in the beginning there was Potential energy a sentient energy “god” that created the matter and rules of the universe in one big bang in such a way that sentient life would evolve and create experiences. At the point this begins this energy being transmutes itself into matter and the expansion of the universe begins. So “god is everything” Since every thing is a piece of god harming others is harming oneself we must evolve sufficiently to experience without harming others experiences. Because at the end of the universe the “big cool” where all matter collapses into a singularity it will be transmuted back to the first state where all will be 1.

60. religion just another form of propaganda. There is a driving force behind the creation of this universe and the steering of evolution but how any one living could profess to know the truth behind it is beyond me it shouldn’t be atheist vs religion it should be truth vs mysticism. Many Atheist disregard proof that there is a force we dont understand yet some call it higgs boson some call it god particle. Many other things that cant be explained by science loss of em field and weight at death etc are simply ignored its just as bad as religion followers blindly following texts that have no basis in facts. If I was to state a hypothesis right now that will explain all the controversies in religion and atheism the proof of which is self evident to me but of course real research is needed. Science and religion agree in the beginning there was no matter. There was either energy or god depending what side you lean to. then there was “let there be light” or the “Big bang” then they start to disagree on many points. My hypothesis states” What if in the beginning there was Potential energy a sentient energy “god” that created the matter and rules of the universe in one big bang in such a way that sentient life would evolve and create experiences. At the point this begins this energy being transmutes itself into matter and the expansion of the universe begins. So “god is everything” Since every thing is a piece of god harming others is harming oneself we must evolve sufficiently to experience without harming others experiences. Because at the end of the universe the “big cool” where all matter collapses into a singularity it will be transmuted back to the first state where all will be 1.

61. Jesus was just a confused Buddhist with limited enlightenment powers.

INRI;

I Nearly Reached India

62. I believe a person can be religious without religious frills and guilt-ridden action.  So many religious people are not inclined to persuade or instruct the masses.  I find religions to be a great thing.

63. DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm |

64. anonymous | Jun 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm |

65. DeepCough | Jun 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm |

You’re half-right.

66. You are atheist, but can pull out “sin” as long as it seems to work in your favor?  Oh, I see now, you picked a deadly sin.. So are you acknowledging you live your life according to a belief system?   Anyways, what I think dumbsaint was saying was there is not only ONE higher power to choose from… and I don’t just mean other religious deities if Bible God doesn’t fit your preference… a relationship with a supreme being or God (if you wish to call “it” that, which I know a lot of people who don’t feel comfortable using that word even still) is an entirely a personal experience.  It is a humbling experience knowing your will isn’t what’s keeping your ass alive that there “may* just be a greater plan in mind and you just so happen to be a part of it.  I tend to think of religions as a beginner’s guide to a more spiritually-guided way of life (read: a life not entirely ran on self-will, emotion, and raw instinct) and the higher powers these religions set forth tend to be slightly mystical and unrealistic for my taste, so fortunately, I was able to choose a God of my *own* understanding, that I could relate to, and was directly connected within me.  The point is to be able to visualize something, anything larger than yourself.  The purpose religion serves is to create that “image.”  The images you choose to use when refuting a system of belief reflect that of Christianity, which would lead anybody to believe that you are so rebellious of Christianity, in and of itself, that you are actually incapable of looking beyond to the much larger picture.  Fact is, you have a purpose here and I don’t need to tell you that or else you wouldn’t choose to get up everyday, it’s whether or not you choose to allow any kind of guidance into your life that may help you seek to fulfill that purpose.  Nobody is trying to control you.  Really, it’s the choice between being miserable or not.  And that is entirely up to you.

67. I wouldn’t have any complaint with religion if religious folk would accept 3 things:
    1) humans are no better than any other species on this planet (or elsewhere)
    2) since we are the dominant species we have a responsibility to be caretakers on this planet, not rape and pillage it
    3) converting people is not “saving” them, it is being really, really annoying

68. I wouldn’t have any complaint with religion if religious folk would accept 3 things:
    1) humans are no better than any other species on this planet (or elsewhere)
    3) converting people is not “saving” them, it is being really, really annoying

69. Pssst… Guilt works the same way in atheists as it does in Christians.  I can understand that guilt driving an atheist parent to put their child in a Christian school just to give them the opportunity to deny the institution as well.  I know because I was put in a Christian school by a non-religious parent.  Yes, I eventually rejected the Christianity idea and went through all the in-between stages and now have a deeper understanding of a God of my own, but it definitely would have worked just as well if my parent just told me “Look, I just don’t know about all of that…,” but actually, I can’t complain because that experience got me where I’m at now, which I’m grateful to have.  But, anyways… still, guilt.  It’s not “right” or “wrong” to put your child in a Christian school when you yourself do not believe, but it is a little misleading later when the child also thinks there must be either Christian God or no God at all, but I guess you can’t convey something as to which you do not possess…

70. Can i just say that all religion is is a label. We are herd animals at the core and we feel compelled to belong to something. Religion allows people to go somewhere and talk to like minded people which gives those people confidence because they don’t feel alone. Religion also allows a small group of people to earn alot of money tax free and to control large groups of people by saying things like ”this is what jesus was saying in this story, you should give me all your money coz thats what jesus wants”. This blatant coercion targets the weak minded and the weak of character who don’t have the strength or just can’t be bothered to search for the answers we all seek throughout life, its just lazy to give yourself over to religion. Also i just want to point out all the lives lost due to religion and the manner in which those lives were taken. It is truly appalling and finally can i just say that if your religious in any way then you are a racist who will never have the oppurtunity for new discovery in this life

71. Can i just say that all religion is is a label. We are herd animals at the core and we feel compelled to belong to something. Religion allows people to go somewhere and talk to like minded people which gives those people confidence because they don’t feel alone. Religion also allows a small group of people to earn alot of money tax free and to control large groups of people by saying things like ”this is what jesus was saying in this story, you should give me all your money coz thats what jesus wants”. This blatant coercion targets the weak minded and the weak of character who don’t have the strength or just can’t be bothered to search for the answers we all seek throughout life, its just lazy to give yourself over to religion. Also i just want to point out all the lives lost due to religion and the manner in which those lives were taken. It is truly appalling and finally can i just say that if your religious in any way then you are a racist who will never have the oppurtunity for new discovery in this life

72. DeepCough | Jun 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm |

73. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 8:59 am |

74. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 9:01 am |

75. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 9:07 am |

76. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 9:08 am |

77. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 9:12 am |

78. Tuna Ghost | Jun 30, 2011 at 9:12 am |

79. This times a fucking million. I get tired of being lumped in with every single Christian in every clever atheist rhetoric for being “religious”.

80. What a backward way of thinking. Tell that to these “thumb-twiddlers”:

81. You are a minority in thinking that, and that has been so throughout our entire traceable history. The fact that faith is one of the leading common traits in happiness and longevity is scientifically significant.

82. DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm |

83. DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm |

84. DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm |

Beginning of the 20th century. Minor typo.

85. DeepCough | Jul 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm |