Charges Dropped Against Man Jailed For Giving Middle Finger To Cop

2675523388_4eeb75de3e35-year-old Shane Boor had no previous criminal record but could have faced up to six months in prison. Or three months, if it had been a sly middle finger where you pretend to scratch your nose. Via CBS Denver:

A harassment charge has been dropped in the case of a Colorado man who gave a state trooper the finger in April. Saying it’s free speech to give officers the finger, the Colorado State Patrol said in a statement late Friday that it asked the case to be dropped. The State Patrol described the incident as “protected free speech.”

Shane Boor, 35, was charged with misdemeanor harassment after acknowledging “flipping the bird” to an officer making a traffic stop near Denver April 19. The American Civil Liberties Union offered Boor free legal defense in the case that made headlines. Boor said he told the officer he gave him the finger “because you’re thieves and you harass people.”

, , , , , ,

28 Responses to Charges Dropped Against Man Jailed For Giving Middle Finger To Cop

1. CMStewart June 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

I love getting the middle finger. It looks so funny, like somebody’s proudly displaying a boogee. XD

2. CMStewart June 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm #

3. CMStewart June 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm #

4. GoodDoktorBad June 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

“because you’re thieves and you harass people.”
    Often times, criminals are less of a nuisance than cops. At least your allowed to defend yourself against criminals. Fight a cop and you end up fighting all cops…

• Tuna Ghost June 7, 2011 at 4:56 am #

That’s the second or third reasonable, almost insightful comment I’ve seen you make in two weeks.  What…what is happening, who are you

• GoodDoktorBad June 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

I’ll strip away the bait its wrapped in and take the complement. Have a nice swim in the ethers dear Tuna.

5. Anonymous June 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

“because you’re thieves and you harass people.”

6. SF2K01 June 6, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

More than charges dropped, they should be compensating him for wrongful arrest. Why is it that so many police don’t seem to know where the boundaries of personal liberties are?

• DeepCough June 6, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

Because civil liberties prevent cops from doing their jobs, and they just can’t have that.

• Commenter June 10, 2011 at 6:47 am #

I don’t know where YOU are from, but walk outside and flip off a police officer or call him a pig and see what happens.  It is an act of hostility and aggression towards a police officer who absolutely reserves the right to use his discretion to arrest your disrespectful ass.  I realize not all cops are “good,” however it’s a little delusional to think one police officer represents a whole that is innately “bad” and you have the right to let them know about it.  While on the topic, did you know that if you flipped off somebody while driving that they abso-fucking-lutely can get your license plate number, call the police, and charge you with similar charges that this man was charged with?  I’d say his punishment certainly fit the crime and if he can’t curb his spontaneous aggression and anger, he needs some serious help.  I understand that some of you are *scared* because our law officials who are here to protect US frequently abuse their power and are not held accountable enough, and with that I very firmly agree, but this does not justify random actions such as these.. same goes for recording police officers and arguing with them when they ask you to turn it off.  You’re only recording them to begin with because you know you’re not supposed to or that they may be uncomfortable with it and I think it is reasonable that an officer simply ask for you to turn it off and you comply.  You go looking for a fight, you’re sure as hell going to find one, but if we can address WHY people are so hostile towards police, WHY they would want to record police officers or flip them the bird, instead of demanding the right to do those things, we may actually make some progress.  Pick your battles and this is certainly not the one.

• Richard August 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Why would police object to something that is not illegal?  Please show me where it is illegal to video police.  Please show me where it is illegal to give them the finger.  Under U. S. v. Bad Elk if a LEO is arresting you for something that is not illegal it is absolutely legal to resist to the point of using deadly force.  Read it and reply.

7. Anonymous June 6, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

8. Jin The Ninja June 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

I know very few people who would actively disagree with what he said about cops:

” you’re thieves and harass people”

I know it sums up VERY succinctly my own feelings.

and neither should he have been charged in the 1st place-

it’s hypocrisy at it’s best. and yet it’s the amerikan way!

9. R Z June 6, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

” you’re thieves and harass people”

I know it sums up VERY succinctly my own feelings.

and neither should he have been charged in the place-

it’s hypocrisy at it’s best. and yet it’s the amerikan way!

10. Guest June 6, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

The mafia has their paid goons, the government has theirs. I really don’t see the difference. Its all psychology, the uniform provides the illusion of authority and importance. It reminds me of the nazies. To me they look like clowns. The only reason the world isn’t complete and total chaos, is because most people just want to live and enjoy their lives, it is not because of any of these so called authorities. If we all decided to lose it, there really isn’t much they can do. Also, as all of us who have had to deal with the police know, they don’t really seem concerned about our safety as much as making money money money.

• Tuna Ghost June 7, 2011 at 4:57 am #

It is pretty much a giant “protection” racket, isn’t it

11. Crypticfreak June 7, 2011 at 1:21 am #

12. DeepCough June 7, 2011 at 2:37 am #

13. Tuna Ghost June 7, 2011 at 8:56 am #

14. Tuna Ghost June 7, 2011 at 8:57 am #

It is pretty much a giant “protection” racket, isn’t it

15. Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

16. Simiantongue June 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

Charges dropped but the message is clear. Do something we don’t like and you will be harassed. It’s enough coercion for most people.

17. Simiantongue June 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

• Jack Dixon June 8, 2011 at 9:00 am #

I agree. The officer/LEO should be fined or deducted the amount that was used to process this case….gas, his pay, booking costs, prosecution review, etc, at the very least. At most he should loose or get docked a days pay with suspension for harassing and violating the mans rights. If officers are not punished for their deeds they have no incentive to stop doing such bad deeds.

Jack Dixon