Indian Parents Push For Surgical Procedure To Turn Children From Girls To Boys

Photo: Planemad (CC)

Photo: Planemad (CC)

Oh the social questions this raises! How does this benefit/hurt the future generation? Should parents have the right to change a child’s sex? What psychological damage could occur? What if an adult learns that they had the procedure when they were young and want it reversed? The next twenty years may see a rise in the search for therapists. Hindustan Times reports:

Girls are being ‘converted’ into boys in Indore – by the hundreds every year – at ages where they cannot give their consent for this life-changing operation.

This shocking, unprecedented trend, catering to the fetish for a son, is unfolding at conservative Indore’s well-known clinics and hospitals on children who are 1-5 years old. The process being used to ‘produce’ a male child from a female is known as genitoplasty. Each surgery costs Rs 1.5 lakh.

Moreover, these children are pumped with hormonal treatment as part of the sex change procedure that may be irreversible.

The low cost of surgery and the relatively easy and unobtrusive way of getting it done in this city attracts parents from Delhi and Mumbai to get their child surgically ‘corrected’.

[Continues at Hindustan Times]

, , , , , , , ,

55 Responses to Indian Parents Push For Surgical Procedure To Turn Children From Girls To Boys

1. chinagreenelvis June 29, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

I don’t get it. The child wouldn’t be able to reproduce. Is this article a hoax?

2. chinagreenelvis June 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

• Liam_McGonagle June 29, 2011 at 5:52 pm #

Yeah, I wonder about that, too.  I don’t follow the Indian media closely, but I hear that they have a reputation for publishing some way-out conspiracy culture type stuff without an excess of scruple.

Yet it’s not hard for me to believe.  Human beings are vicious, cruel perverts.  The USA subjected Michelle Bachman and Sarah Palin to intense media scrutiny as potential political leaders, whereas any decent, compassionate society would have quietly retired them to some home for the feeble minded in a remote corner of the back woods.  You know, a Rosemary Kennedy kinda thang.

• Guest June 29, 2011 at 8:07 pm #

Bizarre. These “boys” when they grow up probably can’t even get a stiffy. What happens when they grow up and have sexual longings they don’t understand and can’t satisfy? Talk about confusing and frustrating.
      It sounds like a living hell to me.
      If I were one of those kids, once I understood what had been done to me, I think I would have to kill my parents. Seriously. ….and this is coming from a tree hugger -reason over violence kind of guy.These doctors and parents should be executed for crimes against humanity.

• TennesseeCyberian June 30, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Not only would the child not be able to produce, he would also be inferior at corporate management, investment planning, hell, damn near everything!  Don’t the people of India read Disinfo?  Geez.

3. Anonymous June 29, 2011 at 9:52 pm #

4. wizard troll June 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

we also need to use special forces to troll stuff like this.  this is truly macabre. I guess there are different ways to entertain your desires in india.

5. wizard troll June 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

6. ArgosyJones June 30, 2011 at 12:03 am #

This is so backward… this should be done with pre-natal hormone treatments, not surgery.

7. ArgosyJones June 30, 2011 at 12:03 am #

8. ArgosyJones June 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

• Peetr Wilson June 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Yes, much less “backward”…

/sarcasm

9. Guest June 30, 2011 at 12:07 am #

It sounds like a living hell to me.

10. Guest June 30, 2011 at 12:07 am #

It sounds like a living hell to me.

11. Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 12:09 am #

It sounds like a living hell to me.
    These doctors and parents should be executed for crimes against humanity.

12. GoodDoktorBad June 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

It sounds like a living hell to me.
    These doctors and parents should be executed for crimes against humanity.

• JST June 30, 2011 at 1:53 am #

Well, considering they are doing the procedure and administering hormones at that age, it will probably be more likely they will get a “stiffy” and have a more full-functioning penis than that of an individual who has the surgery done later in life after nerves have had a chance to fully develop.

Not that any of that matters though… some of them will be adjusted to their gender and accept it as is, not having any problems whatsoever, and others will be, as you stated above.  It really is quite twisted, I must say, but I really don’t know the “right” answer here.  I would say that it’s just as likely to have hundreds of kids without doing this procedure (leaving them as girls), and just as many later in life, will experience the same gender or sexuality issues.  I really believe there would be more “trans” people, if people knew what the fuck “trans” meant.  God knows how many people live with a different mental self-image of themselves and never know what is “wrong” with them.  And since “gay” is just now becoming somewhat acceptable, I’m willing to wager that shifting over to that box is probably easier than exploring any other boxes to align one’s self with, which I don’t think we can necessarily even put people in boxes such as L,G,B, and T.  Also, to note, “trans” doesn’t identify a sexual orientation, so these FTM children may actually find they are gay men.  I really think it’s impossible to put an issue like this into black and white because in the end, gender and sexuality is like spinning a roulette wheel, you never know what experiences that person is going to have throughout their life that shapes who they are, regardless of the genitalia they begin with.  That being said, at least it’s easier to go back to female, if they should ever decide to do so…

• GoodDoktorBad June 30, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

While my sexual proclivities are pretty “normal”, I don’t judge others based on theirs. I have had many friends who were gay -male and female.

My outrage concerns that these kids had no choice in the matter. The selfishness of the parents and doctors who perform this surgery is astounding. Life is confusing enough growing up. This is just plain sick.

Maybe killing the perpetrators is a bit much, I don’t know. It’s not usually something I would advocate as a matter of principal. But I just saw red when I read about this.

• Mr. Coffee June 30, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Just how do they intend to create a functional penis to attain said “stiffy?” (quotation added for pompousness)

I know I’m a crude, degenerate hateful monster to point out my ignorance on the subject though.

13. emily June 30, 2011 at 12:10 am #

beats infanticide

14. emily June 30, 2011 at 12:10 am #

beats infanticide

15. emily June 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

beats infanticide

• Nyxynox June 30, 2011 at 3:22 am #

No it doesn’t!  These poor children will grow up with terrible emotional and mental problems… death is a better choice compared to that!

• zawa June 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm #

you don’t just magically develop a mental problem. I highly doubt many of these children will grow up to be severely bipolar or what have you. Death is /not/ a better choice by any means necessary.
         I’m sure that when the children grow up and find out they will be very confused and a bit scarred, but I highly doubt that upon knowledge of their former genders they’ll suddenly stop functioning. They most likely won’t realize their changes at all as they grow up, especially if the procedure is done early enough. I definitely don’t endorse this, but I don’t think the kids will be too damaged by what happened to them.

• AK July 1, 2011 at 4:01 am #

Shut. the. hell. up. you moron!

Ever wonder why the rate for people who have ever identified “transgender” is so high? It’s because being the wrong gender is that painful. If you can’t imagine a pain so bad, that death is inconceivable, think of yourself blessed. Your view on life may be so great that suicide is bad, but that’s not the case for everyone else. Try showing a little compassion, and be a decent fucking human being.

• Chris A Hooymans July 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm #

hardly

16. Anarchy Wolf June 30, 2011 at 2:07 am #

What the hell? They won’t be able to reproduce. This is just dumb. It’ll fuck up the gender population ratio.

17. Anarchy Pony June 29, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

18. Guest June 29, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

Speaking of Indore … I think this calls for “The Chewbacca Defense”. Those poor Hormonal Treatment Manufacturers need the only defense they’ve got before this goes to court.

19. Guest June 30, 2011 at 3:47 am #

20. disgusted June 30, 2011 at 12:20 am #

That is DISGUSTING and CRUEL they are screwed up for life, messing up only Gd knows what. That should be illegal and these children removed from their “parents”

21. disgusted June 30, 2011 at 4:20 am #

22. helen holmes June 30, 2011 at 1:16 am #

Dumb and proven to be so by India’s closeby neighbor, China.   Beyond their one child per family policy, quietly girls have been killed at young ages for decades and today China’s young men are finding it very difficult to find wives!   Surprise.

And beyond the obvious human rights considerations, it just cannot help a culture to continue with this bigotry towards women who do have often different contributions to make in almost any field.   This is beyond playing with nature.   Hormones for life are not a way to produce a healthy society and yet here is a country with a decent percentage of educated people who seem more than happy to ignore the ramifications of what is worse than cloning.

• Chris A Hooymans July 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm #

The joke is going to be on these countries when the have to change social culture and share the remaining real women among many men who will be desperate and will have to pay through the nose for a P/T wife LOL Serves them right for being so stupid.

23. helen holmes June 30, 2011 at 5:16 am #

24. JST June 30, 2011 at 5:53 am #

25. JoJoDancer June 30, 2011 at 5:55 am #

26. Nyxynox June 30, 2011 at 7:22 am #

27. Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 10:54 am #

all kinds of wrong…
    First and foremost: the age old idea that males are “worth more”?? well, this sh*t needs to stop.

Secondly in a land of such extreme poverty and desperation…. sex changes are cheap and easy?
    This is what they would spend their money on?

I know people that suffer from actual gender dysphoria and i know of the red tape and hoop jumping they have to go through to receive medical treatment and a sex change surgery. To do so on a parent’s whim seems so irresponsible.

And finally to perform a procedure like that, with out their consent, and when they are too small and weak to resist…. what kind of future are you really giving that child?

28. samthor June 30, 2011 at 6:54 am #

all kinds of wrong…

This is what they would spend their money on?

29. Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

The most truly stupid part of this is that if you want to have a boy, you can influence that while you’re still pregnant. Not control, but influence, and for far less money. It’s all about how much testosterone is in the woman’s body at certain points during pregnancy. I still think it’s wrong to intentionally manipulate it but if you’re gonna do it, at least do it in a way that actually makes them male and able to produce their own children!

30. quartz99 June 30, 2011 at 11:06 am #

31. Peetr Wilson June 30, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

Yes, much less “backward”…

/sarcasm

32. Anonymous June 30, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

33. Mr. Coffee June 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm #

34. zawa June 30, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

35. Thoughts June 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

Whether or not this is a hoax, the rural peoples of the developing world need to learn that having more male children will not help provide for them if they are unemployed, disaffected, and starting rebel militias. ‘Children’ is a crude and abusive form of creating social support systems for ones basic needs. The whole obsession with family, heredity, and ethnicity needs to be overcome, as it still stands in the way of rural people forming stronger more egalitarian communities rooted in literacy, gender equality, acceptance of diversity, and peace. Otherwise, people will continue to live in a state of Hobbesian mutual distrust, competition, and preemptive violence.

36. Thoughts June 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

37. Fiona_azrael June 30, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

This is wrong on so many levels.  I know of several hermaphrodites whose parents chose the sex they were raised at and these individuals for the most part don’t feel comfortable in their own bodies.  This is setting the stage for a whole range of problems, psychological issues that can and may manifest in very dangerous ways.  Very sad for the girls who are being raised as boys – changing their bodies will not change WHO they are.

38. Fiona_azrael June 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm #

39. AK July 1, 2011 at 8:01 am #

Shut. the. hell. up. you moron!

40. Chris A Hooymans July 20, 2011 at 10:29 pm #

Sick to the core. This procedure can’t work – these “parents” should be brought up on charges of child abuse at the very least

41. Chris A Hooymans July 21, 2011 at 2:29 am #