KLM To Use Recycled Frying Oil To Fuel Flights

800px-Klm.fokker.f100.ph-ofg.arpKLM airlines are going green, well, at least for some flights. BBC reports:

The Dutch airline KLM says it plans to use recycled cooking oil on 200 flights between Paris and Amsterdam.

The fuel, biokerosene, is derived from used frying oil, which has to be tested to meet the same technical specifications as traditional kerosene.

Airlines are under EU pressure to cut their carbon emissions by 3% by 2012.

KLM’s interest in biofuels dates back to 2009, when it ran a test flight carrying 40 people, including the then Dutch economics affairs minister.

The 90-minute flight was majority powered by traditional aviation fuel, with just one of the its four engines powered 50% by biofuel.

Future flights will use half traditional kerosene and half biofuel.

[Continues at BBC News]

13 Comments on "KLM To Use Recycled Frying Oil To Fuel Flights"

1. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 3:43 am |

The birth of the fastfood-aeronautics complex…

2. JoiquimCouteau | Jun 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm |

The birth of the fastfood-aeronautics complex…

3. Widelynarrow | Jun 24, 2011 at 8:28 am |

yeah, cool, but, i know, as most people are aware, making clever secondary use of vegetable oil still produces a comparable amount of pollution, and so, as ever, i’m wondering about the use of the phrase ‘going green’.   anyways, i guess this constitutes a new and rather extreme form of recycling and if nothing else, it’s a very impressive gimmick.  my goodness, i feel cynical.

4. Widelynarrow | Jun 24, 2011 at 4:28 am |

5. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 8:29 am |

Great now I have to worry about my luggage smelling like it’s been deep fried.

6. Great now I have to worry about my luggage smelling like it’s been deep fried.

7. If this works out, I wonder if they’ll change their logo to a french fry.

8. If this works out, I wonder if they’ll change their logo to a french fry.

9. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 5:03 pm |

I knew a guy who ran his pick-up truck with recycled frying oil. It really did smell like french fries and gave me a craving for the “good old days” when I thought Mickey D’s was the shit.

As it turns out, it really was shit.

On a nutritional note, it’s pretty appalling to realize just how much frying oil is used in food prep -so much that we can actually use it as a jet fuel.

10. GoodDoktorBad | Jun 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm |

As it turns out, it really was shit.

11. Fuel price is rising up. Airline industry is facing the problem of fuel cost. Most of the airlines are trying to provide cheap tickets,So they are finding alternatives to compensate with fuel cost. So they are trying to use cooking oil for engine. Hope this work to maintain the fares of airlines.
    cheap flights

12. Fuel price is rising up. Airline industry is facing the problem of fuel cost. Most of the airlines are trying to provide cheap tickets,So they are finding alternatives to compensate with fuel cost. So they are trying to use cooking oil for engine. Hope this work to maintain the fares of airlines.
    cheap flights

13. Anonymous | Aug 23, 2011 at 9:34 am |

Hey its very good ides to use recycled cooking oil as the fuel in plane. This proves that airlines are going green. this helps to reduce carbon quantity in fuel. And hence there will be less pollution. I love this idea.

cheap flights to budapest