Sure, video games are art nowadays, but do they have to be depressing art? In light of the preponderance of dark, dull, grey-and-brown-hued titles such as the Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto series, the Blue Skies in Games Campaign is a call for a return to the days when the ascendant video games were happily surreal and bursting with technicolor. In addition to more detailed discussion, a quick-fix series of suggestions is offered:
DEVELOPERS: HOW YOU CAN HELP TODAY!
– Change everything that’s grey into blue.
– From now on, everyone wears red shoes.
– Make everything happen at midday or sunset.
– Replace gun textures with banana textures.
– Turn all cars into pink convertibles that wobble and only do 15mph.
– If you get 100 of anything, a little tune plays.
– Instead of saying “crew” say “your buddies”.
– Instead of saying “hood” say “zone”.
– Make the female characters something other than prostitutes.
– Make the black characters something other than drug dealers.