One Quarter Of American Teens Drink Soda Every Day

SodaFountain

For those of you wondering why America’s greatest threat is obesity, this is at least part of the answer, although the CDC is spinning it as good news. From AP via Yahoo News:

A new study shows one in four high school students drink soda every day — a sign fewer teens are downing the sugary drinks… That’s less than in the past. In the 1990s and early 2000s, more than three-quarters of teens were having a sugary drink each day, according to earlier research.

The CDC reported the figures Thursday, based on a national survey last year of more than 11,000 high school students. They appear in one of the federal agency’s publications, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Consumption of sugary drinks is considered a big public health problem, and has been linked to the U.S. explosion in childhood obesity. One study of Massachusetts schoolchildren found that for each additional sweet drink per day, the odds of obesity increased 60 percent.

As a result, many schools have stopped selling soda or artificial juice to students.

Indeed, CDC data suggests that the proportion of teens who drink soda each day dropped from 29 percent in 2009 to 24 percent in 2010, at least partly as a result.

“It looks like total consumption is going down,” said Kelly Brownell, director of Yale University’s Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity.

But the results of the new CDC study are still a bit depressing, said Brownell, who has advocated for higher taxes on sodas.

“These beverages are the kinds of things that should be consumed once in a while as treat — not every day,” he said. “That’s a lot of calories.”

[continues at AP via Yahoo News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

29 Comments on "One Quarter Of American Teens Drink Soda Every Day"

1. Anonymous | Jun 19, 2011 at 1:50 am |

Coke is a hell of a drug…

2. Anonymous | Jun 19, 2011 at 1:50 am |

Coke is a hell of a drug…

3. JoiquimCouteau | Jun 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm |

Coke is a hell of a drug…

4. DeepCough | Jun 19, 2011 at 3:18 am |

“You don’t wanna get…..Diabeetus!”

5. DeepCough | Jun 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

“You don’t wanna get…..Diabeetus!”

6. Anonymous | Jun 19, 2011 at 10:37 am |

7. How much is drinking soda every day? The study lumps anyone who’s had soda, from 1 can to multiple liters into one category. I had 1 can of soda every day with lunch, and that was pretty much it. I would not categorize myself with the people drinking insane amounts of the stuff. Drinking soda isn’t inherently bad, but people need self control to not over-consume it. That’s all they should be emphasizing in the school.

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

Drinking 1 can per day is not good.
      It’s not about self control- it’s about the marketing, the availability, low cost, and addiction to the sugar content.

• Marketing is arguable, but within the context of the school it’s equally available with the other choices, it costs the same as the other choices, and in all honesty the “healthy alternatives” are equally sugary (seriously, check how much sugar is in one bottle of the juice the school has it’s just as bad).

• Jin The Ninja | Jun 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

• JoiquimCouteau | Jun 19, 2011 at 6:36 pm |

“Drinking soda isn’t inherently bad”

• It still isn’t, it’s just been made into a scapegoat as cover for the companies who want to pretend their drinks with just as much chemicals and sugar aren’t as bad. The biggest problem with our diets is over-consumption, not consumption by itself.

• JoiquimCouteau | Jun 20, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

Right, I agree. On the other hand, drinking soda is inherently bad. Drinking one soda, ever, is ‘inherently bad’ in the same way that shooting up heroin once is ‘inherently bad’, if not worse. I hate to be a dick, but if you seriously disagree with this you are either ignorant of the contents of these drinks, unaware of their biochemical significance, or intentionally spreading disinformation on behalf of those who stand to profit from their continued use.

• Voidthought | Jun 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

Disinfo posted an article the other day talking about people who drink sodas everyday “…blah, blah, blah.” I wouldn’t recommend drinking sodas everyday for the sole purpose of the sugar content and the acidity of them. Plus that dreaded “high fructose corn syrup” and don’t get me started on Aspartame. Diet sodas, HAH!!

8. Grooveboss | Jun 19, 2011 at 1:39 pm |

“you drink a lot of coffee for a teenager” Don Caballero

9. Grooveboss | Jun 19, 2011 at 9:39 am |

“you drink a lot of coffee for a teenager” Don Caballero

10.  Drinking 1 can per day is not good.

11. Anonymous | Jun 19, 2011 at 4:52 pm |

12.  I totally agree that the food industry is filled with HFC or Sugar and Preservatives: including juice or flavoured milk . Stopping short of offering coconut water or 100% juice I believe it is a problem of the industry more so than consumers.

13. Anonymous | Jun 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm |

“Drinking soda isn’t inherently bad”

14. Voidthought | Jun 20, 2011 at 12:57 am |

15. Voidthought | Jun 20, 2011 at 1:03 am |

The only line you need to know, “”These beverages are the kinds of things that should be consumed once in a while as treat — not every day,” he said.” – This rings true about a lot of things like entertainment. Back in da day niggas(colorful way of saying people in general) didn’t have entertainment at their fingertips like we do.

16. Voidthought | Jun 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm |

17. Anonymous | Jun 20, 2011 at 10:43 am |

18. Ronniedobbs | Jun 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm |

What else am I supposed to drink with my Japanese Recycled Human Feces  Burger?  Wait a minute,,,,  maybe I can recycle something else…..

19. Ronniedobbs | Jun 20, 2011 at 10:15 am |

20. Anonymous | Jun 20, 2011 at 6:13 pm |

21. I used to love Coke then I discovered Lipton Ice Tea. 3 $500 crown later, I’ve killed Coke and turned into a Tea man

22. I used to love Coke then I discovered Lipton Ice Tea. 3 $500 crown later, I’ve killed Coke and turned into a Tea man