Krokodil, The Cheap Heroin Alternative That Eats Your Flesh

krokodilIt’s cheap, made from codeine and paint thinner, leaves you disfigured or dead, and not surprisingly is Russia’s most popular new activity. Death and Taxes writes:

The name krokodil comes from its trademark side effect: scaly green skin like a crocodile around the injection site. A quick search for that will bring up graphic images of people with swollen faces, exposed bones and muscles and skin rotting off on any given body part.

The reason the drug is so anatomically destructive is due to its mix-ins. Users stir in ingredients “including gasoline, paint thiner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorus which they scrape from the striking pads on matchboxes.”

Video is in Russian but the sight of someone’ skin melting away is the same in every language:

39 Comments on "Krokodil, The Cheap Heroin Alternative That Eats Your Flesh"

1. were i come from thats called suicide.

2. were i come from thats called suicide.

3. Krokodil? put a donk on it!

4. David M4SK | Jun 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm |

Krokodil? put a donk on it!

5. Horrycrap | Jun 23, 2011 at 6:56 pm |

most traumatizing thing ive seen all week.

6. Horrycrap | Jun 23, 2011 at 2:56 pm |

most traumatizing thing ive seen all week.

7. I am sure that with enough campaign contributions to the right people FDA approval would not be too difficult to achieve.

8. I am sure that with enough campaign contributions to the right people FDA approval would not be too difficult to achieve.

9. Anonymous | Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm |

G*ddamned capitalist swine will just end up shoving it through the FDA and market it as a weight reduction programme. . . .

10. Anonymous | Jun 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm |

11. Liam_McGonagle | Jun 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

• Liam_McGonagle | Jun 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

Okay, Amityville weird levels of oddness going on with the Disqus today. My spelling is iffy at the best of times, but I just spent like 2 minutes trying to edit out the 2nd “programme” in the above post–which strangely goes completely invisble when I re-open to edit.

Not that I don’t still see the 2nd “programme” when I save the edit.

If Disqus needs an exorcist, I can recommend several top-knotch grads from the Jesuits that’ll do the job for a very reasonable price.

• who cares about spelling your comments are usually good. jesus giving me the finger gives me the creeps but im highly impressionable. If anyone gives you crap about minor spelling besides yourself its a troll

• GoodDoktorBad | Jun 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm |

DISQUS acts a bit wacky at times and your spelling doesn’t matter that much -its not that bad, really.

But if you like, use  a Google (chrome is free) browser, it has spell checker built in.

12. Anonymous | Jun 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm |

Not that I don’t still see the 2nd “programme” when I save the edit.

13. who cares about spelling your comments are usually good. jesus giving me the finger gives me the creeps but im highly impressionable. If anyone gives you crap about minor spelling besides yourself its a troll

14. I’ve had many injuries in my life which I wish I never had, torn ligaments in my ankle and knee, many cuts that have had to be sewn up, busted hip, elbow and whatnot, years of druga and alcohol abuse are slowly leaving my system as well. I would give almost anything to have never had these, to be “whole” again. I am still able to rockclimb, hike, and play b ball, but only because I did not give in, so watching this video of self inflicted damage is almost too much to bear. What is wrong with us?

15. I’ve had many injuries in my life which I wish I never had, torn ligaments in my ankle and knee, many cuts that have had to be sewn up, busted hip, elbow and whatnot, years of druga and alcohol abuse are slowly leaving my system as well. I would give almost anything to have never had these, to be “whole” again. I am still able to rockclimb, hike, and play b ball, but only because I did not give in, so watching this video of self inflicted damage is almost too much to bear. What is wrong with us?

16. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 1:22 am |

17. Try in the past two years.

18. most traumatizing thing i have seen in the last week and a half!

19. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 3:47 am |

“gasoline, paint thiner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorus”
    This drug is the distilled essence of industrial society

20. JoiquimCouteau | Jun 23, 2011 at 11:47 pm |

“gasoline, paint thiner, hydrochloric acid, iodine and red phosphorus”
    This drug is the distilled essence of industrial society

21. are they using these chemicals to extract the codeine from tablets somehow?  if so, i’m sure there are better ways.  or do the chemicals along with the codeine make a different type of high-powered compound?  interesting.  drugs should just be legal worldwide.  if they wanna be junkies, at least they won’t rot their limbs off on one use… but maybe they may hit their bottom faster… idk.  good luck to them.  that’s sad.

22. are they using these chemicals to extract the codeine from tablets somehow?  if so, i’m sure there are better ways.  or do the chemicals along with the codeine make a different type of high-powered compound?  interesting.  drugs should just be legal worldwide.  if they wanna be junkies, at least they won’t rot their limbs off on one use… but maybe they may hit their bottom faster… idk.  good luck to them.  that’s sad.

• dumbsaint | Jun 24, 2011 at 2:57 am |

You can extract codeine by freezing it in water so it’s not for that at least. And drugs are legal worldwide, you just have to go with the state sanctioned ones like alcohol, coffee and Vicodin.

• If they were legal, do you think there should be an age limit for it?

23. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 6:57 am |

24. BrianDennehy | Jun 24, 2011 at 9:11 am |

The barely stapled-together, hollowed out, huge leg gash was very vivid!

25. Anonymous | Jun 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm |

They are synthesizing Desomorphine from Codeine. Paint thinner is the polar layer, gasoline is the nonpolar layer; iodine, red phosphorus, and HCL are used to reduce the codeine.

26. JoiquimCouteau | Jun 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm |

27. It’s cheaper AND it eats your flesh?!?

28. It’s cheaper AND it eats your flesh?!?

29. If they were legal, do you think there should be an age limit for it?

30. God damn, the sight of that guy’s body with a mutilated leg is disgusting…a perfectly fine looking man but with a life ruining disfigurement. Reminds me of me and the situation I’m in.

31. God damn, the sight of that guy’s body with a mutilated leg is disgusting…a perfectly fine looking man but with a life ruining disfigurement. Reminds me of me and the situation I’m in.