Scientists Create Living Cells That Can Shoot Lasers

cyclopsNo, the above is not an exaggeration. I’m fine with nixing flying hovercars so long as we get this. Discovery writes:

The researchers report that they were able to create bright laser pulses that lasted a few nanoseconds with a single cell. Amazingly the cells were not damaged during the production of the laser light but were able to withstand hundreds of pulses.

The project took place at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine in Massachusetts. The key to this breakthrough involved the use of the widely studied protein known as green fluorescent protein. This protein, which was first discovered in jellyfish, has (as the name implies) the property of generating light.

25 Comments on "Scientists Create Living Cells That Can Shoot Lasers"

1. “Although there are no immediate plans to use this technology, the erosion of the barrier between optical technologies and biology could open many doors in therapy and research.”

Just once I want a story like this to end with “…leading directly to the manufacture of new man-dog telepathy helmets, now available for $39.99 at your local department sore,” or “…at last making delicious, chewable anti-aging pills a reality.”

2. “Although there are no immediate plans to use this technology, the erosion of the barrier between optical technologies and biology could open many doors in therapy and research.”

• JoiquimCouteau | Jun 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm |

They have to say that, otherwise the grant money will stop flowing in. Just look at HIV/AIDS.

• There were no initial plans when the first laser was created.  They created the technology and application ideas (blue ray, laser printing, eye surgery, etc.) came along with time.

3. Anonymous | Jun 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm |

4. Vic Bramble | Jun 15, 2011 at 2:07 am |

I always thought cyclops was one of the more improbable x-men. I guess I was wrong.

5. Vic Bramble | Jun 15, 2011 at 2:07 am |

6. Vic Bramble | Jun 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm |

7. WTF   I am totally speechless

8. WTF   I am totally speechless

9. friggin’ laser beams!

10. friggin’ laser beams!

11. We both were…

What has science done?

12. Something cool!

13. Anarchy Wolf | Jun 15, 2011 at 10:23 pm |

Sweet, now I can get a shark with frikkin’ laser beams.

14. Anarchy Pony | Jun 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm |

Sweet, now I can get a shark with frikkin’ laser beams.

15. There were no initial plans when the first laser was created.  They created the technology and application ideas (blue ray, laser printing, eye surgery, etc.) came along with time.

16. I was wondering why i was the only one that could do this

17. I was wondering why i was the only one that could do this

18. Flora Hills | Jun 16, 2011 at 10:36 am |

I
    was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special
    read. I definitely savored every little bit of  it.

sell house
    fast

19. I was thinking ‘giraffe’, just to stir things up…..

20. I was thinking ‘giraffe’, just to stir things up…..