Federal Government Rules Marijuana Has No Medical Purpose

Mvd1221939Our government will continue to structure policy on the basis that marijuana is the same as heroin — because it’s science. Via the Los Angeles Times:

In a decision announced Friday the federal government ruled that [marijuana] has no accepted medical use and should remain classified as a dangerous drug like heroin.

The decision comes almost nine years after medical marijuana supporters asked the government to reclassify cannabis to take into account a growing body of worldwide research that shows its effectiveness in treating certain diseases, such as glaucoma and multiple sclerosis.

DEA Administrator Michele M. Leonhart sent a letter dated June 21 to the organizations that filed a petition for the change. Leonhart said she rejected the request because marijuana “has a high potential for abuse,” “has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States” and “lacks accepted safety for use under medical supervision.”

This is the third time that petitions to reclassify marijuana have been spurned. The first was filed in 1972 and denied 17 years later. The second was filed in 1995 and denied in 2001. Both decisions were appealed, but the courts sided with the federal government.

89 Comments on "Federal Government Rules Marijuana Has No Medical Purpose"

1. First!!!!! oh wait, FUCK!

2. First!!!!! oh wait, FUCK!

3. I RULE that is does, there is extensive past research in this field. Its been found to be non-addictive, which is perhaps its most endearing quality. Centuries worth of data backs irrefutable findings that it does indeed have virtually endless medical use. Findings available for peer review. (BYOB)

Surrender the Nugs, We The People demand it!

4. jasonpaulhayes | Jul 12, 2011 at 9:27 am |

Surrender the Nugs, We The People demand it!

5. They have made such sound decisions of course we should believe everything they say.  If Al Capone told me bologne is deadly i would quit eating it, not because i would believe that it was in fact deadly, but because he is known for his evil deadly ways, and he would probably shoot me just to prove himself right.

6. They have made such sound decisions of course we should believe everything they say.  If Al Capone told me bologne is deadly i would quit eating it, not because i would believe that it was in fact deadly, but because he is known for his evil deadly ways, and he would probably shoot me just to prove himself right.

7. the DEA has been a joke for so long lol. whenever their speakers talk out loud its like some uneducated middle school kids report on hippos flooded with pictures of manatee… it just doesn’t even make any sense XD

8. the DEA has been a joke for so long lol. whenever their speakers talk out loud its like some uneducated middle school kids report on hippos flooded with pictures of manatee… it just doesn’t even make any sense XD

• Co-Sign Malk! They just ruled this way because its gonna be hard to tax it. They also are not going to be the biggest growers/suppliers in North America if they were to legalize it. Minus the opportunities available, Fuck America!

9. DeepCough | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm |

See, when you read news stories like this, you can understand why Republicans are right in proclaiming that government should have absolutely no say in the medical affairs of American citizens, but the only REAL Republican I know of is Ron Paul, the rest–including the Democrats–are just corporate shills.

10. DeepCough | Jul 12, 2011 at 9:52 am |

• The_Baffler | Jul 12, 2011 at 9:56 am |

Corporate shill? Are they hiring?

• Tuna Ghost | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:21 am |

From a Salon article

Paul describes the federal airline security system as an extra-constitutional affront to civil liberties, and thinks security should be handled by the private sector. Then he takes a rather un-presidential jab at the appearance of many TSA screeners, a workforce heavily populated by minorities and immigrants. “We quadrupled the TSA, you know, and hired more people who look more suspicious to me than most Americans who are getting checked,” he says. “Most of them are, well, you know, they just don’t look very American to me. If I’d have been looking, they look suspicious … I mean, a lot of them can’t even speak English, hardly. Not that I’m accusing them of anything, but it’s sort of ironic.”

This is not the first time Paul has veered into potentially insensitive territory. In 1992, a copy of his newsletter, the Ron Paul Survival Report, criticized the judicial system in Washington, D.C., before adding, “I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal.” Under a section headlined “Terrorist Update,” the following sentence ran, “If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be.”
      Yep, sounds pretty Republican to me.

• Having lived in the predominantly black part of town, I can say, while maybe not politicallly correct, whatever the hell that means anyway, not entirely inaccurate. So, so what if he feels that way, what does that have to do with Marijuana legalization?

• I will take a stab and guess that if the feeling of minorities or people of color are as stated above, one could reasonably conclude that legalizing marijuana would only benefit the minority community in America because “if it ain’t white, it ain’t right.”

• Yeah because the English language is a particular American characteristic…  we’re not called a “melting pot” for no reason… land of the free, but we reserve the right to discriminate against your ass anytime it’s not convenient for us anymore or benefiting us.. especially if you’re non-white.  Well, while I don’t agree with these types of conservative points of view, it certainly does not make me wanna jump on the Dem bandwagon either just because I strongly disagree with almost everything the Right values.  I’m opting out.

• Yeah, but that’s also convenient in a number of other ways.  That POV isn’t simply to benefit us, although it would in this circumstance, it’s not true across the board.

11. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

Corporate shill? Are they hiring?

12. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

Then I hereby rule that income taxes have no economic purpose if its all going to Pakistan and China.

13. The_Baffler | Jul 12, 2011 at 9:57 am |

14. wizard troll | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm |

its better if the fed stay away from taxing it. The profits would just make them grow bigger.

15. wizard troll | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:00 am |

16. Lee Swain | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

Disgraceful, wilful ignorance.

17. Lee Swain | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:07 am |

Disgraceful, wilful ignorance.

18. Michaelanthony909 | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm |

I Rule that the DEA has NO beneficial Purpose because it’s agents “have a high potential for abusing” their power, is currently unconstitutional and “lacks accepted supervision” and transparency!  And last but not least, is wasting a FUCKLOAD of taxpayers money in a multi-decade, unsuccessful ‘War on Drugs!!’

19. Michaelanthony909 | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:08 am |

• Right.. another govt agency that will not be missed when this mother shuts down.

20. Tuna Ghost | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

From a Salon article

Yep, sounds pretty Republican to me.

21. Tuna Ghost | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

From a Salon article

Yep, sounds pretty Republican to me.

22. Fuck America. Plain and simple. It’s time for it to go away, it outlived its usefulness about 60 years ago.

23. Fuck America. Plain and simple. It’s time for it to go away, it outlived its usefulness about 60 years ago.

24. Fucking dummies! I just ate a breakfast sandwich sprinkled with an 1/8 of herb.
    I could not get past all the bullshit I have to deal with if I only had the option to take prozac every day.  Fuck the feds.

25. Fucking dummies! I just ate a breakfast sandwich sprinkled with an 1/8 of herb.

26. Having lived in the predominantly black part of town, I can say, while maybe not politicallly correct, whatever the hell that means anyway, not entirely inaccurate. So, so what if he feels that way, what does that have to do with Marijuana legalization?

27. Yeah! And it can take all its filthy spanish with it!

28. Pissedoff | Jul 12, 2011 at 6:25 pm |

By saying  “has a high potential for abuse,” is she really just saying people will want to smoke it everyday?  That’s likely but still doesn’t make it an addiction.

Speaking of addictive substances, I’m off caffeine now.  And now that my eyes are open, I can see just how badly ‘they’ want me to consume caffeine mindlessly and in abundance.  Yeah, I like the taste and smell of coffee as much as anyone else, but there’s a reason why a single beverage became “trendy” or “stylish” and a fad (now that I think about it… wasn’t original cigarette adverts trying for this same effect… oh and no shame about the cocaine content in the original Coke formula and the current micro milligrams of cocaine in Red Bull Cola).  Funny how addiction is only unfavorable when corporations or Big Pharma may not benefit from it.  Assholes.  It pisses me off that we are made out like fucking idiots.  And you guys should be pissed as well.

29. Pissedoff | Jul 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

30. Yeah, but that’s also convenient in a number of other ways.  That POV isn’t simply to benefit us, although it would in this circumstance, it’s not true across the board.

31. Yeah, but that’s also convenient in a number of other ways.  That POV isn’t simply to benefit us, although it would in this circumstance, it’s not true across the board.

32. Yeah because the English language is a particular American characteristic…  we’re not called a “melting pot” for no reason… land of the free, but we reserve the right to discriminate against your ass anytime it’s not convenient for us anymore or benefiting us.. especially if you’re non-white.  Well, while I don’t agree with these types of conservative points of view, it certainly does not make me wanna jump on the Dem bandwagon either just because I strongly disagree with almost everything the Right values.  I’m opting out.

33. I will take a stab and guess that if the feeling of minorities or people of color are as stated above, one could reasonably conclude that legalizing marijuana would only benefit the minority community in America because “if it ain’t white, it ain’t right.”

34. Right.. another govt agency that will not be missed when this mother shuts down.

35. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm |

The federal government has no medical purpose. The federal government has a high potential for abuse.
    Listening to the federal government should be classified a dangerous substance like heroine.

Take your goddamn protection racket and shove it deeply into that dark, vile and stinking orifice known as the DEA. Please flush it with the rest of excrement.

36. GoodDoktorBad | Jul 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm |

Listening to the federal government should be classified of dangerous substance like heroine.

Take your goddamn protection racket and shove it deeply into that dark, vile and stinking orifice known as the DEA. Please flush it out with the rest of the excrement.

37. Tell ya what..lets make a deal: as soon as the pols, the DEA and federal government appointees all acquire medical licenses after 8-12 years of schooling with subspecializations in drug abuse, recovery, chemistry and biology and can each authoritatively state that science and medicine hold no evidence that marijuana does some medical good for people with certain conditions and offers only harm for the rest of us…

…we’ll stop bitching about them being a bunch of know-nothing anti-science political hack goobers toeing the private prison for profit/slave economy drug war line and just find something else to do with our time. Maybe toad licking or banana peel smoking. Until then…its f*cking war.

38. Tell ya what..lets make a deal: as soon as the pols, the DEA and federal government appointees all acquire medical licenses after 8-12 years of schooling with subspecializations in drug abuse, recovery, chemistry and biology and can each authoritatively state that science and medicine hold no evidence that marijuana does some medical good for people with certain conditions and offers only harm for the rest of us…

39. The hypocrisy is obvious – you’re asking the organization whose budget and organizational influence is tied to making the drug problem seem as large as possible, to then declare that there is no need for such classification. That’s equivalent to asking the Defense Department if it sees a need for soldiers.

Government: why solve a problem, when you can build a career off of prolonging it.

40. The hypocrisy is obvious – you’re asking the organization whose budget and organizational influence is tied to making the drug problem seem as large as possible, to then declare that there is no need for such classification. That’s equivalent to asking the Defense Department if it sees a need for soldiers.

41. The hypocrisy is obvious – you’re asking the organization whose budget and organizational influence is tied to making the drug problem seem as large as possible, to then declare that there is no need for such classification. That’s equivalent to asking the Defense Department if it sees a need for soldiers.

42. The determination of what is and what isn’t a drug with no medical application lies with the DEA, and not the FDA?

Learn something new every day…

Also the “lacks accepted safety for use under medical supervision” line is absolute bull. Safety? What are users doing that insomuch endangers their health? Putting out blunts in their eyes?

43. The determination of what is and what isn’t a drug with no medical application lies with the DEA, and not the FDA?

Learn something new every day…

44. The determination of what is and what isn’t a drug with no medical application lies with the DEA, and not the FDA?

Learn something new every day…

45. mrtastycakes | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm |

Al Capone’s guns don’t argue.

46. Leonhart is a cunt.

47. Leonhart is a cunt.

48. wizard troll | Jul 13, 2011 at 2:46 am |

The people rule that the FED has no practical purpose. Lets move Washington to Guam and let them try to rule the mighty pacific.

49. wizard troll | Jul 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm |

50. Obama is over. Obama is the opiate of the masses. I am at the point where I no longer can tell if he is interested in pursuing any position on which he was elected and that the constituents who spent their money and their time elevating him to the status of a near deity expected him to address. He might as well run as a Republican so someone to the abundantly available and underrepresented Left can offer an alternative to his borderline Neoconservatism. It is as though he has a meeting every day with a group of marketing experts who remind him that ever American to the left of Ronald Reagan has no choice but to vote for him and his real job should be to work on the fears, stupidities, moral panics, and historical ignorance of baby boomer suburbanites. It is as though he is in a good-cop bad-cop routine with the Republicans on every issue.

51. Obama is over. Obama is the opiate of the masses. I am at the point where I no longer can tell if he is interested in pursuing any position on which he was elected and that the constituents who spent their money and their time elevating him to the status of a near deity expected him to address. He might as well run as a Republican so someone to the abundantly available and underrepresented Left can offer an alternative to his borderline Neoconservatism. It is as though he has a meeting every day with a group of marketing experts who remind him that ever American to the left of Ronald Reagan has no choice but to vote for him and his real job should be to work on the fears, stupidities, moral panics, and historical ignorance of baby boomer suburbanites. It is as though he is in a good-cop bad-cop routine with the Republicans on every issue.

52. Hijacked Lantern | Jul 13, 2011 at 4:44 am |

53. Thank you great Government for creating the universe. Where would we be without your all knowing wisdom? The problem I’m having is that my body produces drugs 24-7. I am not sure if they all have medical purposes, but will admit, some of them feel real nice. I can’t seem to stop using these drugs without killing my body. It is also my understanding that suicide is illegal. If I kill myself, will I be charged with murder too? I don’t want to break any laws, I mean, how will I get into heaven if I brake the law? I feel totally fucked. Please god, I mean Government, what should I do?

54. tyrantler | Jul 13, 2011 at 8:47 am |

Do as you will.
    smoke what you want
    grow what you please
    give nothing to government
    live life with ease

55. tyrantler | Jul 13, 2011 at 4:47 am |

Do as you will.
    smoke what you want
    grow what you please
    give nothing to government
    live life with ease

56. MurphDaSurf | Jul 13, 2011 at 11:29 am |

Of COURSE it has medicinal value – it helps treat the headaches and nausea that one experiences after hearing the latest bullshit government announcement – like THIS one, for instance!

57. MurphDaSurf | Jul 13, 2011 at 7:29 am |

58. Anonymous | Jul 13, 2011 at 2:50 pm |

I don’t give a fuck if it’s still illegal. You think that will stop me?? 🙂

59. I don’t give a fuck if it’s still illegal. You think that will stop people?

60. Anonymous | Jul 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm |

Use the weed, toss the prozac…

61. Anonymous | Jul 13, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

And the lie continues… anyway … I’ll keep growing my green and wave a huge fuck you at all those lying bastards. Exhales ….

62. Combattons_le_nihilisme | Jul 13, 2011 at 11:53 am |

63. The boat leaves at midnight looser…narcissistczar.com

64. ohhhh Canada

65. ohhhh Canada

66. If the ruling was in favor of medical marijuana Ms. Leonhart would be among the unemployed.  Why would she and her band of hooligans rule on something that would render them invalid?

67. If the ruling was in favor of medical marijuana Ms. Leonhart would be among the unemployed.  Why would she and her band of hooligans rule on something that would render them invalid?

68. Anonymous | Jul 14, 2011 at 5:23 am |

69. Anonymous | Jul 14, 2011 at 5:23 am |

70. RoboBagons | Jul 14, 2011 at 11:14 pm |

Welp, its a good thing no one actually cares what these fucks say. Against the law or not, you think that matters? PPhhhh, GL trying push this crap. They can deem w/e they want to be useful or not, doesn’t mean their right, just means they suck at life, and people are going to do w/e they need to do to live the life they want to life. Thanks, but no thanks, keep your shit ideas to your self Federal Government, and the worlds is just going continue right on with out your ass.

71. RoboBagons | Jul 14, 2011 at 7:14 pm |

72. Richiefoster | Jul 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm |

TOTALY FALSE BIG PHARMA IS PUSHING THEIR DRUGS ON US AND OUR KIDS WAKE UP AMERICA PLEASE!

73. Richiefoster | Jul 15, 2011 at 10:35 am |

74. Tyrants!  Why fight overseas when all of the real tyrants are in our government?   They can’t hide behind lies forever, and unless you want Americans spilling the blood of Americans in another revolutionary war then people better start using their effin heads when they vote.  The only clear choice is Ron Paul 2012 if you want freedom back,  if you believe that the Constitution was not written and assembled without purpose.  My great-grandfather, and our fore-fathers would be disgusted by these people,  let their lives not be in vain.  They came here and wanted FREEDOM not to be told what is or isn’t good for them in THEIR OWN LIFE!

75. Tyrants!  Why fight overseas when all of the real tyrants are in our government?   They can’t hide behind lies forever, and unless you want Americans spilling the blood of Americans in another revolutionary war then people better start using their effin heads when they vote.  The only clear choice is Ron Paul 2012 if you want freedom back,  if you believe that the Constitution was not written and assembled without purpose.  My great-grandfather, and our fore-fathers would be disgusted by these people,  let their lives not be in vain.  They came here and wanted FREEDOM not to be told what is or isn’t good for them in THEIR OWN LIFE!

76. Anonymous | Aug 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm |

Leonhart has consistently turned down research into the therapeutic and medicinal benefits of marijuana, and has a track record of undermining state law with regard to legal medical marijuana. She has also spoken in favor of the Eighteenth Amendment and suggested a federal ban on production, possession, transportation, sale, and consumption of alcohol. Recently several pro-legalisation agencies have called on President Obama to withdraw his support of Leonhart, including SSDP, MPP, NORML, LEAP, and DPA.In 2011, the Washington Post reported that “994 people younger than 18 were killed in drug-related violence between late 2006 and late 2010” and that “[i]n 2009, the last year for which there is data, 1,180 children were killed, half in shootings.” In response to these statistics, Leonhart declared that while it “may seem contradictory, the unfortunate level of violence is a sign of success in the fight against drugs.”

Dear Michele,
    I would appear the flapping of your second chin has a high potential for abuse, has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States, and lacks accepted safety for use under medical supervision.

Let’s disband this waste of an organization, and we’ll put back on highways writing speeding tickets.

77. Anonymous | Aug 25, 2011 at 6:45 pm |