Jesus Appears On Walmart Receipt In South Carolina

OriginalThis is basically the essence of United States encapsulated in a single news story. CBS 21 reports:

An engaged couple in Anderson County says a shadowy image that turned up on a receipt from Walmart looks like the face of Jesus.

Jacob Simmons and his fiancee, Gentry Lee Sutherland, said they bought some pictures from Walmart on June 12. The following Wednesday, the couple had just come home from a church service when Simmons spotted the receipt on the floor of Sutherland’s apartment. He says the receipt had changed. “I was leaving the kitchen and I just looked on the floor, and it was like it was looking at me,” Simmons said.

A dark gray mark on the receipt seems to show two eyes, a nose and a mouth in a thickly bearded face. “Then the more you look at it, the more it looked like Jesus, and it was just shocking, breathtaking,” Simmons said.

The couple said the image seemed to answer a question they had just been asked at church. “We had a message on knowing God, abiding in him,” Sutherland said. “(The preacher asked) ‘If you know God, would you recognize him if you saw him?'”

“We just feel like it’s a blessing that God showed it to us and opened our eyes. And we just feel like we should share the blessing God gave to us to everybody else,” Sutherland said.

145 Comments on "Jesus Appears On Walmart Receipt In South Carolina"

1. Charles Manson.

2. Charles Manson.

3. Jesus was pleased to discover he could buy nails for his cross at Wal-Mart’s everyday low, low, prices.

4. Jesus was pleased to discover he could buy nails for his cross at Wal-Mart’s everyday low, low, prices.

5. Dunniteowl | Jul 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

Hoax!

6. Dunniteowl | Jul 21, 2011 at 9:51 am |

Hoax!

7. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jul 21, 2011 at 1:54 pm |

Its easy to ridicule these people because they saw what they thought looked like “jesus”. I would say that they are just religious people carrying cultural baggage and they made this claim out of ignorance. There is obviously a pattern of a face though which intrigues me.

If one looks for patterns in their visual surroundings they can be exposed to some interesting imagery, some say you have to have an innate ability for pattern recognition, but i believe all you need is training. There are heaps of so called “optical illusions” out there for people who have a hyper-sensitivity too see them.

looking at objects, landscapes or scenery from a particular angle, a particular distance and at the right time of day you can make out all sorts of new images that can exist within what your looking at. Im sure many have had the experience of seeing the pattern of a face or an animal on a tree trunk. its just an extension of that.

8. Monkey See Monkey Do | Jul 21, 2011 at 9:54 am |

• ClubhouseCancer | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:25 am |

Yeah, it’s evolutionary: the ability to pick out patterns, especially faces, was a great advantage in detecting predators (saber-toothed tigers in the grass and whatnot). So we can use it to trick each other, like artists and magicians can do, or to delightfully trick ourselves! Here’s a beautiful example:

9. Young Osama?

10. Toast is the only medium approved for God’s face to appear on.  This must be the work of the Devil.

Seriously I do this blog thing called “The Great American God Complex” where I post on the intersection of delusion and commerce this country calls Christianity.  Walmart says “Merry Christmas” greeting you at the door, selling items from overseas, made by non-American slave labor after all.  It is only fitting that His visage should appear on a Walmart receipt. Amen.

11. Young Osama?

12. postpunkprometheus | Jul 21, 2011 at 9:56 am |

Seriously I do this blog thing called “The Great American God Complex” where I post on the intersection of delusion and commerce this country calls Christianity.  Walmart says “Merry Christmas” greeting you at the door, selling items from overseas, made by non-American slave labor after all.  It is only fitting that His visage should appear on a Walmart receipt. The best part will be when they E-bay Jesus for as much as they can get. It is after all the American Way. Amen.

13. Anonymous | Jul 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

It makes sense that this could still be a holy intervention, because he played self-appointed prophet Roman Grant on “Big Love” – turns out that we all just need to move to Juniper Creek.

14. It has been pointed out by Twitter’s @kellyoxford that this is actually Harry Dean Stanton on the receipt.

15. Jesus is balding and has a glass eye. 🙂

16. Anonymous | Jul 21, 2011 at 1:58 pm |

looks like rasputin to me.

no seriously…

17. Jesus is balding and has a glass eye. 🙂

18. Jin The Ninja | Jul 21, 2011 at 9:58 am |

looks like rasputin to me.

no seriously…

19. justagirl | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm |

hence, the wally eye.

20. justagirl | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm |

hence, the wally eye.

21. justagirl | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:03 am |

hence, the wally eye.

22. Carol Fairbank | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm |

Nah – looks more like Ravi Shankar to me …

23. Carol Fairbank | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:15 am |

Nah – looks more like Ravi Shankar to me …

24. That’s not Jesus, it’s Charles Manson.

25. That’s not Jesus, it’s Charles Manson.

26. That’s not Jesus, it’s Charles Manson.

27. ClubhouseCancer | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm |

28. Annonymouth | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm |

That’s so easy to fake with that heat-sensitive receipt paper.  But even if it were a “natural” occurance, I can’t help but wonder: Why is this being reported on Disinfo?

29. Annonymouth | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:26 am |

30. DeepCough | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

That is so not Jesus. It looks like a Neanderthal, which I would expect from Wal-Mart.

31. DeepCough | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

32. DeepCough | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:52 am |

33. A_knutson | Jul 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm |

This looks more like somebody named Black-eyed Bart… Sorry guys, when Black-eyed Bart shows up on your receipt, you might be lookin’ at trouble… 😉

34. A_knutson | Jul 21, 2011 at 11:02 am |

35. most def

36. Anarchy Wolf | Jul 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

Jesus is one ugly MoFo.

37. Anarchy Pony | Jul 21, 2011 at 12:23 pm |

Jesus is one ugly MoFo.

38. Jesus Saves … by shopping at WAL-MART !

39. jasonpaulhayes | Jul 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm |

Jesus Saves … by shopping at WAL-MART !

• Rex Vestri | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

Dammit! Ya beat me to the punch!  That’s the first thing I thought of the moment I read the title!

40. Micho_rizo | Jul 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm |

Show me a dark guy with Jew ‘fro and then I’ll be impressed (as, historically speaking, Jesus probably wasn’t white)…

41. Micho_rizo | Jul 21, 2011 at 1:30 pm |

• The ugly truth NO Christian or Jew want to admit (except the real Semetic Christians and Jews they do not want you to hear from) is the Jesus was an Arab  as are all real Jews. I wonder how many people actually use a dictionary. You hear the term ant-Semetic and know that it means hating Jews. Every look up “semetic?”

Of or pertaining to Shem or his descendants; belonging to that division of the Caucasian race which includes the Arabs, Jews, and related races.

I bet most people think  “caucasian” means “white”!

I bet most people think  “caucasian” means “white”!

42. Simiantongue | Jul 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm |

Just a bit of trivia about this phenomenon if anyone is interested.

43. Simiantongue | Jul 21, 2011 at 2:32 pm |

Just a bit of trivia about this phenomenon if anyone is interested.

44. Rex Vestri | Jul 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

45. Looks more like Hagrid to me

46. Looks more like Hagrid to me

47. No, no, no, that’s Abe Lincoln.

48. No, no, no, that’s Abe Lincoln.

49. unabomber for sure

50. unabomber for sure

51. White_Cloud | Jul 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm |

No, it’s Charles Manson on the receipt.

52. White_Cloud | Jul 21, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

No, it’s Charles Manson on the receipt.

53. Ouroborus | Jul 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |

It’s Muhammad!

54. Ouroborus | Jul 21, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

It’s Muhammad!

55. so funny i forgot to laugh.

56. They are not claiming it’s “God’s” face.. they are claiming it is Jesus’s… Jesus is not God.. he is the son of God.  Jeez.. have you been here before?

57. god.. come on.. somebody intellectually stimulate me.. what could it mean if it IS jesus’ face on the receipt?  come on, let’s speculate.. it will be fun.. bc all the jokes are lame…

58. god.. come on.. somebody intellectually stimulate me.. what could it mean if it IS jesus’ face on the receipt?  come on, let’s speculate.. it will be fun.. bc all the jokes are lame…

59. Depends on who you ask… Some have weird paradoxical beliefs along the lines of Jesus is the son of God, and Jesus is God at the same time, but Jesus didn’t father himself. Cyclical nonsense

60. Goddamn, you gotta be pretty retarded to forget to laugh at something that funny.

61. They use these little inserts in toasters to crisp the jesus image into toast. Those of you who have worked in retail know that receipts use thermal paper (that way the store’s printers basically ‘burn’ the image in to the paper rather than paying for ink). Using the same template and a heat source, you could very very easily do this. The family obviously did this just to get on the news or something stupid like that.

Not saying miracles don’t happen, but this is a hoax, as i’m sure most of you realize.

62. They use these little inserts in toasters to crisp the jesus image into toast. Those of you who have worked in retail know that receipts use thermal paper (that way the store’s printers basically ‘burn’ the image in to the paper rather than paying for ink). Using the same template and a heat source, you could very very easily do this. The family obviously did this just to get on the news or something stupid like that.

63. Stromboli…. hands down

64. Stromboli…. hands down

65. DeepCough | Jul 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm |

The Holy Trinity is a ripoff of the Capitoline Triad, look it up.

66. Anonymous | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:05 pm |

Unless you’re Unitarian… Also there’s Mormonism which is kinda trinitarian, but kinda henotheistic/polytheistic.

67. Anonymous | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm |

Looks like a nasty ass face to me. Looks more like a possible demon than a Jesus.

68. hey Jesus, it’s cool that you can make your face appear on bread and receipts, but there’s people starving in Africa and people getting killed in the middle east.  Can you please work on that before you wow country hicks in South Carolina please?

69. hey Jesus, it’s cool that you can make your face appear on bread and receipts, but there’s people starving in Africa and people getting killed in the middle east.  Can you please work on that before you wow country hicks in South Carolina please?

70. hey Jesus, it’s cool that you can make your face appear on bread and receipts, but there’s people starving in Africa and people getting killed in the middle east.  Can you please work on that before you wow country hicks in South Carolina please?

71. Shadehawk2000 | Jul 21, 2011 at 11:07 pm |

the more you look at it the more it looks like jesus? could i see this photographic evidence that youre comparing this receipt to? i was under the assumption nobody knows exactly what jesus looks like.

72. Shadehawk2000 | Jul 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

73. Shadehawk2000 | Jul 21, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

74. JoKeMusic | Jul 21, 2011 at 11:13 pm |

Hmmm……..I don’t know…..it looks more like Rasputin to me.

75. JoKeMusic | Jul 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm |

Hmmm……..I don’t know…..it looks more like Rasputin to me.

76. JoKeMusic | Jul 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm |

Hmmm……..I don’t know…..it looks more like Rasputin to me.

77. I don’t think anyone knows what jesus looked like. Jesus was a metaphor for the sun anyway.

78. I don’t think anyone knows what jesus looked like. Jesus was a metaphor for the sun anyway.

• Tuna Ghost | Jul 28, 2011 at 2:20 am |

If you’re getting that from the film “Zeitgeist”, you should be made aware that a good 90% of the “information” on Christianity or religion in general is completely fabricated.

79. I don’t think anyone knows what jesus looked like. Jesus was a metaphor for the sun anyway.

80. Ernest T. Bass | Jul 22, 2011 at 2:19 am |

I’m just wondering how they know what Jesus looks like…

81. Ernest T. Bass | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |

I’m just wondering how they know what Jesus looks like…

• Tuna Ghost | Jul 28, 2011 at 2:19 am |

Probably like a middle-eastern Jew, actually.  There are some pretty standard ethnic characteristics you can count on.

82. Ernest T. Bass | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19 pm |

I’m just wondering how they know what Jesus looks like…

83. Mark Raymond S. Faelmoca | Jul 22, 2011 at 2:22 am |

it looks like charles manson hehe

84. Mark Raymond S. Faelmoca | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |

it looks like charles manson hehe

85. Mark Raymond S. Faelmoca | Jul 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm |

it looks like charles manson hehe

86. South Carolina has nothing to do with it.

87. Jerry Garcia man

88. Jerry Garcia man

89. I thought the same thing when I looked at it

90. usfulideot | Jul 22, 2011 at 5:23 am |

That’s not Jesus, he came into my work tonight.  He smelt like sour milk and bought a 40oz with money from his shoe.  I’m saying he’s a filthy bum…which sounds kind of like Jesus…wait, maybe it is Jesus.

91. usfulideot | Jul 22, 2011 at 1:23 am |

92. Jacobhey1 | Jul 22, 2011 at 5:55 am |

Yeah, it looks more like Charles Manson…

93. Jacobhey1 | Jul 22, 2011 at 1:55 am |

Yeah, it looks more like Charles Manson…

94. I thought van gogh but i see the ear or was it the other ear?

95. I thought van gogh but i see the ear or was it the other ear?

96. What part of “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” do you not understand?

97. What part of “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” do you not understand?

98. Anonymous | Jul 22, 2011 at 11:38 pm |

That’s not Jesus, that’s the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi from about 1970. See? It’s even got the colour of his beard right.

99. Dave_Plankton | Jul 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm |

100. Anarchy Wolf | Jul 23, 2011 at 2:37 am |

Anybody notice how the left eye is all creepy and bugging out?

101. He looks more demonic than Jesusian.

102. He looks more demonic than Jesusian.

103. LiarPriest | Jul 23, 2011 at 1:17 pm |

That ain’t jesus – you guys ever look at the demon illustrations in Francis Barret’s “The Magues” – yeah….

104. LiarPriest | Jul 23, 2011 at 9:17 am |

105. Do you mean the meaningless and devolving arguments over fringe minutia? The inane defense of almost institutionally insane viewpoints?

No I’ve never been here before.

106. Did anyone notice he’s on the receipt upside down?? Is an upside down Jesus anything like any upside down cross? Maybe it’s an omen of evil. EVIL I SAY!

107. Did anyone notice he’s on the receipt upside down?? Is an upside down Jesus anything like any upside down cross? Maybe it’s an omen of evil. EVIL I SAY!

108. Howard Brazee | Jul 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm |

Looks more like John the Baptist to me.

(Isn’t it amazing how people just *know* what Jesus really looked like?)

109. HowardBrazee | Jul 24, 2011 at 9:58 am |

Looks more like John the Baptist to me.

(Isn’t it amazing how people just *know* what Jesus really looked like?)

110. Stickynote07 | Jul 24, 2011 at 6:39 pm |

looks like Paul Bunyan to me.

111. Stickynote07 | Jul 24, 2011 at 2:39 pm |

looks like Paul Bunyan to me.

112. What do they mean looked like Jesus? No picture of Jesus I ever say looked like a semetic man inhabiting in the Roman province of Judea during the 1st Century AD.

113. What do they mean looked like Jesus? No picture of Jesus I ever say looked like a semetic man inhabiting in the Roman province of Judea during the 1st Century AD.

114. What do they mean looked like Jesus? No picture of Jesus I ever say looked like a semetic man inhabiting in the Roman province of Judea during the 1st Century AD.

115. The ugly truth NO Christian or Jew want to admit (except the real Semetic Christians and Jews they do not want you to hear from) is the Jesus was an Arab  as are all real Jews. I wonder how many people actually use a dictionary. You hear the term ant-Semetic and know that it means hating Jews. Every look up “semetic?”

I bet most people think  “caucasian” means “white”!

116. It’s Osama, he is using the Walmart receipt as a horcrux and will return soon™

117. It’s Osama, he is using the Walmart receipt as a horcrux and will return soon™

118. Yeah…but the receipt is upside down. So there.

119. Yeah…but the receipt is upside down. So there.

120. Tuna Ghost | Jul 28, 2011 at 6:19 am |

121. Tuna Ghost | Jul 28, 2011 at 6:20 am |

122. David Crowe | Aug 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm |

I think it looks like a hatless Abe Lincoln.

123. David Crowe | Aug 13, 2011 at 8:26 am |

I think it looks like a hatless Abe Lincoln.