‘Non-Visible’ Art Sells For $10,000

fracsGenius or madness? Surly acting hunk James Franco sold an intangible, undetectable work of conceptual art, created in collaboration with the design duo Praxis, to a Montreal collector for $10,000. Paste reports that the masterpiece is titled “Fresh Air” and is described as thus:

A unique piece, only this one is for sale. The air you are purchasing is like buying an endless tank of oxygen. No matter where you are, you always have the ability to take a breath of the most delicious, clean-smelling air that the earth can produce. Every breath you take gives you endless peace and health. This artwork is something to carry with you if you own it.

Because wherever you are, you can imagine yourself getting the most beautiful taste of air that is from the mountain tops or fields or from the ocean side; it is an endless supply.

More on Paste

30 Comments on "‘Non-Visible’ Art Sells For $10,000"

1. Bah, I got one of those and paid a lot less for it.

2. Bah, I got one of those and paid a lot less for it.

3. Dylanpetrohilos | Jul 22, 2011 at 4:26 pm |

awesome

4. Dylanpetrohilos | Jul 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm |

awesome

5. And thus you have the worst of the contemporary art world:  All hype, nothing tangible, celebrity artists and nothing to show for the big bucks you spend.  Voila!  What is worse than a naked emperor?  Answer:  Spending $10,000 for dead space entitled “Fresh Air”.

6. And thus you have the worst of the contemporary art world:  All hype, nothing tangible, celebrity artists and nothing to show for the big bucks you spend.  Voila!  What is worse than a naked emperor?  Answer:  Spending $10,000 for dead space entitled “Fresh Air”.

7. That cuts it…I gotta get website built and start marketing ‘recycled air’…for 1000 bucks a whiff. Once purchased, just inform people that its all around them already. If there are people ass-reamingly dumb enough to buy non-existent art…theres a ready market for recycled air.

8. That cuts it…I gotta get website built and start marketing ‘recycled air’…for 1000 bucks a whiff. Once purchased, just inform people that its all around them already. If there are people ass-reamingly dumb enough to buy non-existent art…theres a ready market for recycled air.

• E.B. Wolf | Jul 22, 2011 at 12:37 pm |

What’s the saying? No one ever went broke overestimating the gullibility/stupidity of people…or something like that.

9. E.B. Wolf | Jul 22, 2011 at 4:37 pm |

10. Anonymous | Jul 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm |

…the hell?  I was trying to get to Disinfo and ended up at The Onion.  Weird.

11. Broken_Finger | Jul 22, 2011 at 12:45 pm |

…the hell?  I was trying to get to Disinfo and ended up at The Onion.  Weird.

12. Hadrian999 | Jul 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm |

this man would make an excellent politician

13. Hadrian999 | Jul 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

this man would make an excellent politician

14. The funny thing is you don’t even get a CONCEPT, just a half assed description. Unless the idiot didn’t know there was such a thing as air then it IS a scam, which goes for Social Media Art too. It’s like any moron can call themselves an artist and voila, they are one – even if there is no real creativity involved. Is this a novel idea or narrative Davison? Bimbo.

15. The funny thing is you don’t even get a CONCEPT, just a half assed description. Unless the idiot didn’t know there was such a thing as air then it IS a scam, which goes for Social Media Art too. It’s like any moron can call themselves an artist and voila, they are one – even if there is no real creativity involved. Is this a novel idea or narrative Davison? Bimbo.

16. Remember when Art existed? Those were good times.

17. jasonpaulhayes | Jul 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm |

Remember when Art existed? Those were good times.

18. Liquidself2004 | Jul 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm |

Cost:  $10,000
    Publicity and viral marketing retained:  Priceless..

19. Liquidself2004 | Jul 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm |

Cost:  $10,000
    Publicity and viral marketing retained:  Priceless..

20. Bigdickmegaherz | Jul 22, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

What a fucking asshole.

21. Bigdickmegaherz | Jul 22, 2011 at 3:56 pm |

What a fucking asshole.

22. Fuck me. Why didn’t I think of that? I could have paid off my credit card with that shit. LOL.

23. Fuck me. Why didn’t I think of that? I could have paid off my credit card with that shit. LOL.

24. Fuck me. Why didn’t I think of that? I could have paid off my credit card with that shit. LOL.

25. Fuck me. Why didn’t I think of that? I could have paid off my credit card with that shit. LOL.

26. A very expensive placebo, but seriously, watch this guys lung capacity increase by 10%.

27. A very expensive placebo, but seriously, watch this guys lung capacity increase by 10%.

28. I thought philosophy didn’t make money, but apparently it can.

29. I thought philosophy didn’t make money, but apparently it can.