Space-Time Cloak Possible, Could It Make Events Disappear Too?

4467116919_603041818fCould an entire bank heist take place at an open bank with no one seeing it? The National Geographic reports:

It’s no illusion: Science has found a way to make not just objects but entire events disappear, experts say.

According to new research by British physicists, it’s theoretically possible to create a material that can hide an entire bank heist from human eyes and surveillance cameras.

“The concepts are basically quite simple,” said Paul Kinsler, a physicist at Imperial College London, who created the idea with colleagues Martin McCall and Alberto Favaro.

Unlike invisibility cloaks — some of which have been made to work at very small scales — the event cloak would do more than bend light around an object. Instead this cloak would use special materials filled with metallic arrays designed to adjust the speed of light passing through.

[Continues at National Geographic]

24 Comments on "Space-Time Cloak Possible, Could It Make Events Disappear Too?"

1. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

I love this kind of talk when it happens in speculative fiction.  It’s fun and exciting.

Yet when people try to push this as a literal reality I start to feel sick.  I don’t know whether to feel worse for the scientists who are throwing away their credibility by chasing headlines for this stuff or Rev. Snakehandler who’s gonna actually believe it and feed his Congregation Kool-Aid because he’s sure this is the breaking of the Seventh Seal.

And if you want to talk metaphor, which is the only reasonable way to interpret this stuff, you may also find this stuff old hat.  Russia’s fantastic Vodka(tm) technology has been making entire weekends disappear for centuries.

2. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

3. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

4. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

5. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

6. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

7. Liam_McGonagle | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

• It turns out the technology really just involves spraying a thick vodka mist, entering  the bloodstream quickly through the lungs, causing everyone to forget what happened.

• I think the credibility factor of the tech itself really isn’t an issue…it’s how they are choosing to describe the tech. Calling it a ‘Space-Time Cloak’ makes it sound as if they are describing something that warps the very nature of reality….which If I understand this article correctly it most certainly doesn’t. In fact you could make your own (rather unimpressive) ‘Space-Time Cloak’ fairly easily….Just get a TV camera, a recording device, and a TV monitor. Set up the TV in front of the camera, and point them at you. Then somehow rig the recording device to record you, and play it back at a delayed time rate. There you go….you’ve just ‘Warped Time and Space!!’ LOL!

I do realize that here, they are talking about building a material that does all of that automatically……and that’s much more impressive…..yet the whole ‘warp’ aspect is nothing but a time delay.

8. I’d never ask anyone to believe me but I will say this much … the silence is deafening, all encompassing and its tearing the heart right out of my chest.

9. I’d never ask anyone to believe me but I will say this much … the silence is deafening, all encompassing and its tearing the heart right out of my chest.

10. jasonpaulhayes | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm |

11. Speculator | Jul 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm |

This sounds about like what UFOs do.  I don’t know much about this, but if you are masking an entire event such as the bank robbery example, once time catches back up, won’t everybody in the bank have what’s described as “missing time?”  My hunch is “yes.”

12. Speculator | Jul 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

13. It turns out the technology really just involves spraying a thick vodka mist, entering  the bloodstream quickly through the lungs, causing everyone to forget what happened.

14. Like anything this cool would ever get used for something as fun as a bank heist…

…ten to one says if they ever finally finish the tech on this and get the concept operational…all it will mean is invisible spies in every neighborhood and city, staring at every transaction, listening to every conversation…because better safe than sorry in the land of the used to be brave and the formerly free.

15. Like anything this cool would ever get used for something as fun as a bank heist…

16. justagirl | Jul 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm |

does that mean no pistol whipping sassy bank manager!?  there has to be a better use for this thing.

17. justagirl | Jul 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |

18. I think the credibility factor of the tech itself really isn’t an issue…it’s how they are choosing to describe the tech. Calling it a ‘Space-Time Cloak’ makes it sound as if they are describing something that warps the very nature of reality….which If I understand this article correctly it most certainly doesn’t. In fact you could make your own (rather unimpressive) ‘Space-Time Cloak’ fairly easily….Just get a TV camera, a recording device, and a TV monitor. Set up the TV in front of the camera, and point them at you. Then somehow rig the recording device to record you, and play it back at a delayed time rate. There you go….you’ve just ‘Warped Time and Space!!’ LOL!

19. Anonymous | Jul 12, 2011 at 11:39 pm |

You may now squeeze all the boobs you like…

20. GoodDoktorBad | Jul 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

You may now squeeze all the boobs you like…

21. wizard troll | Jul 13, 2011 at 4:19 am |

I would just use it to walk around naked, flash people then begone.

22. wizard troll | Jul 13, 2011 at 12:19 am |

I would just use it to walk around naked, flash people then begone.