Television Networks Rewrite History Through Product Placement

There sure is a lot of time traveling on television these days. The Consumerist provides an example of the subtly unsettling practice of messing with cinematic/cultural/TV continuity by digitally inserting advertisements from the present into old shows and movies. Just wait until they start slipping “Zookeeper” billboards into footage of Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech or Nazi stadium rallies:

For the past few years, networks have been digitally inserting ads and product placements for new products into old reruns. Shannon just noticed one in a rerun of a 2007 episode of “How I Met Your Mother.” In the background on the shelf is a magazine with an ad on the back for the new “Zookeeper” starring Kevin James.

zookeeperbackintime

17 Comments on "Television Networks Rewrite History Through Product Placement"

1. Anarchy Wolf | Jul 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm |

Pretty sure no one ever notices this crap, I think product placement is about as pointless as “subliminal messaging” It just doesn’t really work.

2. Anarchy Pony | Jul 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm |

• Doctor Sarvis | Jul 22, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

Pretty sure no one notices it working either.  Corporations wouldn’t spend the money if it didn’t work.

• smooth_operator | Jul 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm |

Just because you don’t consciously notice things, doesn’t mean that your brain doesn’t notice and stores the information somewhere.

• Castle Dogs | Jul 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm |

Yes but that doesn’t mean you’re going to go out on impulse and buy/do whatever the product placement was. For example, if I happened to watch the episode of How I Met Your Mother that is displayed in the photo with the Zookeeper advertisement, it doesn’t mean I’m going to go out and watch the movie. In my opinion it looks like a horrible movie, no amount of advertisement would influence me to watch it.

• Alex Hache | Jul 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm |

It’s not pointless at all. It drills into peoples subconscious mind. They aren’t meant to ‘notice’ the ad.

3. Doctor Sarvis | Jul 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

4. Anarchy Wolf | Jul 22, 2011 at 9:19 pm |

They only need to think it works to spend money on it.

5. Anonymous | Jul 22, 2011 at 11:09 pm |

6. Castle Dogs | Jul 22, 2011 at 11:28 pm |

7. We only need to spend money for them to think it works!

8. Actually, this is kind of interesting, when taken in conjunction with the new movie “Programming the Nation”.

9. Actually, this is kind of interesting, when taken in conjunction with the new movie “Programming the Nation”.

10. Alex Hache | Jul 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm |