Tylenol, Extra Strength, Is the Number One Cause of Liver Failure

Tylenol Extra StrengthBig Pharma being responsible? Are we living on Htrae? Via USA Today:

TRENTON, NJ — Johnson & Johnson said Thursday that it’s reducing the maximum daily dose of its Extra Strength Tylenol pain reliever to lower risk of accidental overdose from acetaminophen, its active ingredient and the top cause of liver failure.

The company’s McNeil Consumer Healthcare Division said the change affects Extra Strength Tylenol sold in the U.S. — one of many products in short supply in stores due to a string of recalls.

Starting sometime this fall, labels on Extra Strength Tylenol packages will now list the maximum daily dose as six pills, or a total of 3,000 milligrams, down from eight pills a day, or 4,000 milligrams. Beginning next year, McNeil will also reduce the maximum daily dose for its Regular Strength Tylenol and other adult pain relievers containing acetaminophen, the most widely used pain killer in the country.

Besides Tylenol, acetaminophen is the active ingredient in the prescription painkillers Percocet and Vicodin and in some nonprescription pain relievers, including NyQuil and some Sudafed products. It’s found in thousands of medicines taken for headaches, fever, sore throats and chronic pain.

Read More: USA Today

36 Comments on "Tylenol, Extra Strength, Is the Number One Cause of Liver Failure"

1. Rex Vestri | Jul 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm |

As if changing the labeling on the package is really going to do anything to solve the problem.

2. Rex Vestri | Jul 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm |

• Butter Knife | Jul 30, 2011 at 8:20 am |

It might stop people from believing that the manufacturer recommends taking that much. Maybe somebody out there actually reads those warnings?

Aside from educating the general public on the nature of tradeoffs and side effects, I don’t think there is much they can do to keep people from taking too much Tylenol… not even if they really wanted to.

A stunning number of people seem oblivious of the fact that most decisions, especially regarding health, come with drawbacks. The popular course of action seems to be blithely taking the maximum dosage of every medication for every problem, without any regard for safety, cost, need, or pretty much anything else.

3. vi0let_femme | Jul 29, 2011 at 8:38 pm |

tylenol doesn’t help my pain when i have a headache or a toothache. only ibuprofen helps the pain and that stuff is bad for your stomach.

4. vi0let_femme | Jul 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm |

5. Anonymous | Jul 29, 2011 at 9:45 pm |

This is why I stick with aspirin and coffee to treat my drunken hangovers.

6. reubenavery | Jul 29, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

This is why I stick with aspirin and coffee to treat my drunken hangovers.

7. Acetaminophen is NOT the “main” painkiller in percocet and vicodin, oxycodone and hydrocodone, respectively (namely opiates).

8. Acetaminophen is NOT the “main” painkiller in percocet and vicodin, oxycodone and hydrocodone, respectively (namely opiates).

• E.B. Wolf | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm |

Mmmmmm…yummy, yummy, opiates. They’re easy on the Liver and Kidneys too.

9. Anonymous | Jul 30, 2011 at 12:25 am |

That’s what happens when drugs are made from coal tar residue.

10. JoiquimCouteau | Jul 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm |

That’s what happens when drugs are made from coal tar residue.

11. Linsang811 | Jul 30, 2011 at 2:55 am |

Actually, perfectly benign products can be made from coal tar.

12. 3 Words … Stem Cell Research!

13. jasonpaulhayes | Jul 30, 2011 at 1:16 am |

3 Words … Stem Cell Research!

14. Anonymous | Jul 30, 2011 at 7:23 am |

I just throw rocks at cars.

15. Anonymous | Jul 30, 2011 at 7:23 am |

I have the same issue. Tylenol does jack for me.

16. Butter Knife | Jul 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm |

17. Anonymous | Jul 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm |

the only thing that comes to mind is that red carbolic soap people use on safari.

18. Anonymous | Jul 30, 2011 at 9:31 pm |

19. I prefer Ibuprofen, works well for me and I haven’t noticed any of the possible side effects.

20. I see no one’s mentioned drug war hypocracy yet!

Legalise it 😀

21. I see no one’s mentioned drug war hypocracy yet!

Legalise it 😀

22. Cornelius | Jul 31, 2011 at 8:48 pm |

Masturbation also helps the pain.

23. E.B. Wolf | Aug 2, 2011 at 9:17 pm |

Mmmmmm…yummy, yummy, opiates. They’re easy on the Liver and Kidneys too.

24. Promote poppy tea.