1915 Anti-Women’s-Suffrage Newspaper Ad

Courtesy of Sociological Images, a 1915 Massachusetts newspaper ad in opposition of giving women the right to vote — it’s fascinating how closely some of the political framing recalls that of today, including playing up fears of divorce, socialists, and Mormons.

(One would presume that the ad was effective, as Massachusetts’ male voters rejected women’s suffrage. Women were given the ability to vote five year later by the federal government in the form of the 19th Amendment.)

21 Comments on "1915 Anti-Women’s-Suffrage Newspaper Ad"

1. DeepCough | Aug 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm |

Honestly, if Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann are so conservative, then why aren’t their asses in the kitchen where it belongs?

2. DeepCough | Aug 22, 2011 at 5:55 pm |

3. DeepCough | Aug 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |

4. Spiderman | Aug 22, 2011 at 8:11 pm |

They used to promote women suffering in the newspaper…Those were better times

5. Spiderman | Aug 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm |

They used to promote women suffering in the newspaper…Those were better times

6. Archon474 | Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm |

The political framing recalls that of today, indeed!  It sounds like the same “family values” BS line they still use to this day, except more transparent in the fact they come out and basically say the state owns your family.

7. Archon474 | Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm |

8. Archon474 | Aug 22, 2011 at 9:01 pm |

9. “to protect their women from politics, to maintain the family as the Unit of the State.”

10. Anonymous | Aug 23, 2011 at 12:39 am |

11. In some ways, I feel better when we find examples showing that there were always people who have been ignorant, deceitful and downright dishonest if not stupid. It makes me that much less surprised and shocked about where we are now.

12. Well I suppose it was a way forward for most women. Personally I don’t want to think I can’t hack it on my own and need some man to protect me from politics. To be honest I think many men and many women are blind to true politics. They have no realisation as to who is actually controlling our political views. So now I may well have what you call the right to vote and I choose very strongly not to do so as I will not be party to the hypocrisy involved in any politics.
    Time to chain yourselves to the railings people and demand a new system This one is about war and murder, we want a world of peace and caring. This does not work at all any more.

13. Well I suppose it was a way forward for most women. Personally I don’t want to think I can’t hack it on my own and need some man to protect me from politics. To be honest I think many men and many women are blind to true politics. They have no realisation as to who is actually controlling our political views. So now I may well have what you call the right to vote and I choose very strongly not to do so as I will not be party to the hypocrisy involved in any politics.

14. Goodness some of you commentators are ignorant… *sighs*

15. Goodness some of you commentators are ignorant… *sighs*

16. What a wonderful window into the language and ‘logic’ of the past…and a brutal reminder that the approach taken by enemies of human rights and equality has not drastically changed in a hundred years.

17. What a wonderful window into the language and ‘logic’ of the past…and a brutal reminder that the approach taken by enemies of human rights and equality has not drastically changed in a hundred years.

18. Anonymous | Aug 23, 2011 at 9:51 pm |

Look at what all the “Progress” brought us;

Much of the warnings came true.  “Liberated” women to go into the work place, a good way of “Wage Degeneration” by definition twice as many people looking for work, so you can make their wages HALF as much and lower that even.  Oh, to promote a woman over a man so she gets to snark him all day, “Divide and Conquer”.  Oh, and to protect a woman despite her being “Liberated/Empowered” so every non-billionaire successful man if he proves too skilled for the job market to trash and too thrifty for economic boom/busts to drive down into debt, you get his wife to file divorce papers and false claims of molestation/abuse to steal his home and most of his income and then scream for “Support” though that usually  breaks him and he loses his job/business/career.

19. greengestalt | Aug 23, 2011 at 5:51 pm |