8 Reasons Young Americans Don’t Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance

ProtestBruce E. Levine writes on Alternet:

The ruling elite has created social institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance.

Traditionally, young people have energized democratic movements. So it is a major coup for the ruling elite to have created societal institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance to domination.

A 2010 Gallup poll asked Americans “Do you think the Social Security system will be able to pay you a benefit when you retire?” Among 18- to 34-years-olds, 76 percent of them said no. Yet despite their lack of confidence in the availability of Social Security for them, few have demanded it be shored up by more fairly payroll-taxing the wealthy; most appear resigned to having more money deducted from their paychecks for Social Security, even though they don’t believe it will be around to benefit them.

How exactly has American society subdued young Americans?

For more information, see original article.

86 Comments on "8 Reasons Young Americans Don’t Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance"

1. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 5:34 am |

As a member of Generation Y “The Fuck,” I must take it upon myself to declare that from us onward, it’s all down-fucking-hill. My generation, the Reagan babies, are born into a form of indoctrination that pales in comparison to that of a Hitler Youth. From the get-go, you are inundated with solipsist and unsubstantiated conservative beliefs that narrow your thinking so drastically that it makes you just another serf of the state, and the state has the utmost desire, the utmost need, to breed a dogmatic and docile demographic to promulgate and institutionalize nationalism as a religion unto itself. My generation is paying for the sins of the past one, the Baby Boomer fucks, because of their horseshit counterculture revolution, which did nothing to preserve even the most basic civil liberties of the U.S., and as a great hypocrisy most befitting of them, they seek to damn anyone of my generation for practicing the same actions they wontonly reveled in like horny, drugged-up dogs in shit. It is because of this that I thoroughly despise my generation with most potent vitriol–and yet I deeply lament that my brethren are ultimately being raised to smile at the advent of the Apocalypse.

2. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 1:34 am |

• Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 2:14 am |

You may despise your generation, but you say that they were bred this way by the generation before them. Can you blame them for living the way that they have been taught to? And what about the generation before that? Were they also not taught to do thing things they did? The kind of suppression and forced servitude we now experience has been created over long periods of time. The seeds of what we now experience had been sown long ago. It just seems like we’re reaching the apex of it (or maybe “rock bottom” would be a more appropriate way to put it) because this is the time frame in which we live. If we don’t change things, I’m sure the next generation will be a lot worse off than we are.
      All this is to say that the only real progress can begin once we stop spitting venom at each other and looking for targets to lay all our blames on. There are some individuals and institutions who the majority of faults can be truthfully pegged on, but spending all our time and energy doing so will get us nowhere. I, being a youth raised under all the influences of the article (conservative religion, consumer mindset, media-addict, self medicating on anti-depressives, etc.), already have enough negative influences inundated in me that I don’t want to add the crippling forces of hate and blame on top of them all. If someone wants to start a revolution then I will gladly join it. If instead all we want to do is piss and moan then the engineering of our generation has been a success.

• Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 2:17 am |

…and by “inundated” I meant “inculcated”. That should clear that sentence up a bit.

• DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 3:47 am |

What, you didn’t see the FOIL in the compound statement I made at the end of my elegy? Of course you didn’t, you went to the same dumbass public schools I did. Furthermore, I’d say you’re delusional if you think any sort of revolution will come from the Millenials, because the terror attacks of September 11, 2001 have galvanized them permanently into the post-McKinley Republican constituency that Karl Rove had been engineering for decades. And the fact that you insist on joining a revolution instead of forging your own way only reinforces my point.

• Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 4:21 am |

I think my comment may have been a bit more acidic than I intended, for your reply certainly was. If so, I apologize. Insulting my intelligence however creates tension between you and I, two people who are both concerned with the nature of this article and, from what I see, very much on the same side. This is what I mean by pissing and moaning. If we not only cast aspersions on our enemies but on those who agree with us, then we are truly lost.

• DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 4:51 am |

Could you at least be just a tad original?

• There’s no such thing as originality.

• DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

“Nature abhors a vaccum.” ~Spinoza

• Nirvanasteve | Aug 7, 2011 at 12:42 am |

What, and instead drop random buzzword names and events to make it seem like I know more than everyone else and thus have a worthier opinion than all of them? Damn it, now you have me trolling, too. I’m done with this conversation, sir. If we are ever in the same revolution, I hope we’re on opposite sides of the room in the meetings.

• Pagan Harlow | Aug 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm |

Yup, every generation previous makes the next batshit crazy by projecting their own fear, doubt and dreams upon them. I never bought in, but the didn’t smack me for it. When I talked “big” I was sooo cute. Til I called bullshit, lol. You just have to break through it, be who you are, take responsibility and own it. The alternative is a boring life you’ll hate yourself for living. Expand your mind, let it go, laugh about it and move on. I feel like there’s a plan afoot to elicit the changing of the guard. It only seems X, Y and after are just fighting the good fight with weapons they neither anticipated or recognize 🙂

• Excuse my ignorance but when you say you’re a Reagan baby, you mean you were born during the 1980’s, right? I’m not familiar with that term I am not from the US. Thank you.

• Tuna Ghost | Aug 7, 2011 at 1:59 am |

Yep.  Same as me, born in that wonderful decade where Reagan talked about the limitless potential of the Free Market while at the same time taxing the fuck out of imported cars because American cars were going to shit and couldn’t compete in a free market.  Wotta guy!

• As a member of Generation X who’s been getting screwed at every phase of life by the Boomers, I’d like to welcome you to the party, and let you know the Generation prior to yours, (aka mine) has it worse off than you do. We get to clean up after the Boomers, and pay for the generation coming after us, and we don’t have the advantage of whining about how our youth was destroyed and actually getting sympathy for that. When the we were your age, and the Boomers were gobbling up resources like a plague of locusts, nobody gave a flying fuck about us. We were just “slackers”. Slackers holding down three jobs just to pay rent on a ratty apartment the size of a shoe box. So you’re not alone. Indeed, you’re not even the first in line to get screwed by the Boomers.

• DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |

Hey, I’m only “whining” because I didn’t accept “the programming” like the rest of Gen Y.

• Lets not downplay the bright side of being a GenXer…not that there were many…but we did have one shining moment:

OUR MUSIC STOMPED A MUDHOLE IN THE PLANETS ASS!!!

I mean seriously…after the supremacy of disco and country, the rise of pop princesses and soft rock…along came the newly grown up GenXers with acres of alternative, punk, thrash, fusion, techno/rave/house, industrial, goth, and more more more. We’re the era that gave the world the Pixies. The late 80s and early 90s may have sucked in many ways…but if you liked good music…it wasn’t  hard to find. If I pity younger generations for anything…its that turning on the radio now is almost its own punishment.

• DeepCough | Aug 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm |

See, you Gen Xers don’t have it as bad as us Millennials: we’re stuck with the Linkin Park genre, a.k.a. Emo.

• Anarchy Pony | Oct 13, 2011 at 5:26 pm |

3. Anonymous | Aug 6, 2011 at 5:54 am |

Unfortunately it’s not just young americans.

But ninjas always lurk in the shadows, waiting for the right moment.

4. Jin The Ninja | Aug 6, 2011 at 1:54 am |

Unfortunately it’s not just young americans.

But ninjas always lurk in the shadows, waiting for the right moment.

• Redacted | Aug 6, 2011 at 3:02 am |

As do shock troops. Well the term is Storm Troops, but that has negative connotations.

• Tuna Ghost | Aug 7, 2011 at 2:00 am |

Negative connotations about not being able to aim for shit, for one.  Pretty ace uniforms though.

5. Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 6:14 am |

6. Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 6:17 am |

7. Anonymous | Aug 6, 2011 at 6:57 am |

We know what happens to people branded ‘Terrorist’.

We’re a bit scared of spending the rest of our lives in Gitmo, at least those of us whom the conditioning didn’t quite stick to.

8. Redacted | Aug 6, 2011 at 2:57 am |

We know what happens to people branded ‘Terrorist’.

• Being branded terrorist is just the new version of McCarthyism so previous generations had that. It’s actually easier because the policies they implement are a joke and even the seriously accuses terrorists are a pretty limited group. Policies like those of the TSA are annoying, but still aren’t worse than say being convicted of a felony.

9. Anonymous | Aug 6, 2011 at 7:02 am |

10. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 7:47 am |

11. Nirvanasteve | Aug 6, 2011 at 8:21 am |

12. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 8:51 am |

Could you at least be just a tad original?

13. Anonymous | Aug 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm |

We are undermined and distracted with iPhones and instant gratification in general.  In other words, we got out cool toys; who gives a shit about anything else?

14. StillAtMyMoms | Aug 6, 2011 at 8:03 am |

15. Zbigniew | Aug 6, 2011 at 2:05 pm |

16. There’s no such thing as originality.

17. As a member of Generation X who’s been getting screwed at every phase of life by the Boomers, I’d like to welcome you to the party, and let you know the Generation prior to yours, (aka mine) has it worse off than you do. We get to clean up after the Boomers, and pay for the generation coming after us, and we don’t have the advantage of whining about how our youth was destroyed and actually getting sympathy for that. When the we were your age, and the Boomers were gobbling up resources like a plague of locusts, nobody gave a flying fuck about us. We were just “slackers”. Slackers holding down three jobs just to pay rent on a ratty apartment the size of a shoe box. So you’re not alone. Indeed, you’re not even the first in line to get screwed by the Boomers.

18. Oh yeah, I’d also recommend reading this article from the 1999 Atlantic Monthly, which talks not just about the Baby Boomer, Gen X, and Millennial Generations, but also shows how this is actually a repeating pattern of generational behavior extending back to the beginning of the country.

http://www.theatlantic.com/past/docs/issues/92dec/9212genx.htmThere are freakish parallels for instance, between the Baby Boomers and the Victorians of the Gilded Age, and between the so-called “Lost” Generation of the 1920’s and Gen X, and between the “Greatest” Generation of the 1940’s and the Millennials.

Read all four parts. It’s one of the most fascinating analysis of this issue ever written, in my opinion.

19. Oh yeah, I’d also recommend reading this article from the 1999 Atlantic Monthly, which talks not just about the Baby Boomer, Gen X, and Millennial Generations, but also shows how this is actually a repeating pattern of generational behavior extending back to the beginning of the country.

20. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm |

“Young Americans—even more so than older Americans—appear to have acquiesced to the idea that the corporatocracy can completely screw them and that they are helpless to do anything about it.”
    Helplessness leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to revolution… Maybe we will be free again!!

21. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm |

22. it’s like the matrix, people have been reduced to batteries that power the system, we aren’t treated as people anymore but as disposables

23. it’s like the matrix, people have been reduced to batteries that power the system, we aren’t treated as people anymore but as disposables

24. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm |

25. DeepCough | Aug 6, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

“Nature abhors a vaccum.” ~Spinoza

26. For the most part, excluding flashes of approved pop culture sentimentality, we’ve criminalized dissent almost back to pre-Civil Rights era conformity. Over the last three decades, academia has been corporatized and inundated with rightist propaganda…as well as scrutinized by law enforcement. Every form of social protest is under observation, its members and leaders recorded and data-mined…it members subject to harassment, arrest and criminal penalties that will marginalize their futures. Our entire education system has slowly reformed around the concept of thoroughly civilizing children into a state of numb obedience…through chemistry when necessary.

Now take that thirty years…add in all the then young minds that were removed from an academic or literary future  that might have made them leaders for change in the present…and you begin to see why there is an effective vacuum of talent and dedication at the top of out current political institutions…even the progressive ones.

This doesn’t mean that every last one has been silenced…its just that the bell curve has been altered and we’re at a low ebb for talented visionary leadership compared to the dynamic personalities of past eras. Dogs and truncheons and hoses are one thing…but we live in the era of “Don’t taze me, bro!” and Gitmo-style disappearances where people in political movements can drop off the radar and not find easy access to a lawyer or even a family member for months or even years.

So whats left? Open warfare in the streets…or finding the political will to vote far outside of our comfort zone to get people who aren’t K Street/Beltway sellouts? I’d greatly prefer the latter…cuz I’ve been in so many fights that my knuckles already have premature swelling and arthritis…and I’d rather take the path of dignity and peace…but I’m also willing to suffer a little adversity to achieve a worthwhile goal…so who knows?

27. For the most part, excluding flashes of approved pop culture sentimentality, we’ve criminalized dissent almost back to pre-Civil Rights era conformity. Over the last three decades, academia has been corporatized and inundated with rightist propaganda…as well as scrutinized by law enforcement. Every form of social protest is under observation, its members and leaders recorded and data-mined…it members subject to harassment, arrest and criminal penalties that will marginalize their futures. Our entire education system has slowly reformed around the concept of thoroughly civilizing children into a state of numb obedience…through chemistry when necessary.

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 6, 2011 at 11:58 pm |

Well, if there were a fight, i’d rather be on your team. Ninjas are only adept at ambush tactics. The brawling would tip the scales:P

• DeepCough | Aug 7, 2011 at 12:08 am |

C’mon, dude, even a ninja knows how to fucking fight.

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 7, 2011 at 12:40 am |

Yes, BUT ninjas are best with the element of surprise.
          We’re not known as brawlers. Although skilled in martial arts.

• Heres a great tale Hemingway used to tell about a fight he was in. A guy half his size got in a barfight with him after heated words…Hemingway kept punching the guy in the face because he had the reach and more muscle…the guy took a battering but wouldn’t drop, had so much blood running out of his nose that he had to slurp it up as it poured out. Punch punch…slurp slurp…on and on. Hemingway finally gets winded and the second he drops his guard…the guy spits the whole mess of blood right in his face. While Hemingway was blinded and disgusted…the guy knocked him out with one killer hit.

He spoke of the whole thing with respect…because anyone willing to endure pain and suffering to get that one perfect shot…is to be admired.

28. Anonymous | Aug 7, 2011 at 3:58 am |

29. DeepCough | Aug 7, 2011 at 4:08 am |

C’mon, dude, even a ninja knows how to fucking fight.

30. Anonymous | Aug 7, 2011 at 4:40 am |

Yes, BUT ninjas are best with the element of surprise.
    We’re not known as brawlers. Although skilled in martial arts.

31. Nirvanasteve | Aug 7, 2011 at 4:42 am |

32. Heres a great tale Hemingway used to tell about a fight he was in. A guy half his size got in a barfight with him after heated words…Hemingway kept punching the guy in the face because he had the reach and more muscle…the guy took a battering but wouldn’t drop, had so much blood running out of his nose that he had to slurp it up as it poured out. Punch punch…slurp slurp…on and on. Hemingway finally gets winded and the second he drops his guard…the guy spits the whole mess of blood right in his face. While Hemingway was blinded and disgusted…the guy knocked him out with one killer hit.

33. Lets not downplay the bright side of being a GenXer…not that there were many…but we did have one shining moment:

OUR MUSIC STOMPED A MUDHOLE IN THE PLANETS ASS!!!

34. Tuna Ghost | Aug 7, 2011 at 5:59 am |

35. Tuna Ghost | Aug 7, 2011 at 6:00 am |

36. Anonymous | Aug 7, 2011 at 11:05 am |

37. Who’s to fight when we’re all “well” fed and “well” entertained

38. DeepCough | Aug 7, 2011 at 5:51 pm |

39. PrairieRunner | Aug 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm |

I’m entering my last year in high school and am, for the most part, aware of all the trickery and behind the scenes scams that are taking place now or have already taken place…trying to tell others (teachers, students, friends) there are only a small hand full that are even willing to accept that the trickery and conspiracies might even be possible, let alone true. But even known shit like the social security we’re not getting…no one knows what the fuck to do with that. We’ve never been taught how to assemble, or how to go about demanding things from our government, or why that’s so crucial. Thee problem though that encompasses all the previous, is the old “bread and circus” trick. The kids just don’t give a fuck. And for the few students that are well aware and educated on the current state of the world and want to change that for the better, it’s just depressing and relentlessly hopeless…and i’ve lost faith in people and humanity because of it. To top all that off, i’m not even talking about the average student, I’m talking about fellow honor students that are much more intelligent than I am.

40. PrairieRunner | Aug 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm |

• Jin The Ninja | Aug 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm |

you sound like a smart kid.

• DeepCough | Aug 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm |

Dude, you’re better off focusing on self-preservation at this stage of the game. It may not be honorable to scorn and abandon your fellow Gen Yers, but I’ll tell you right now that those “honor students,” for the most part, cheated to attain their hollow status, because they would much rather be servants of Heaven than the damned of Hell, if you catch my meaning.

• Whats so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

…One reason that the young are so passive is because they have been indoctrinated into mainstream, dummed down, celebrity crazy culture…Many young people (and older) know more about the latest celebrity bullshit than they know about whats going on in the world and in America. The elite are controlling everything from (faux) news, TV and movies, to even the corporate controlled music scene, designed to promote selfishness, violence, and misogyny. You have to really try and filter what is going into your brain form these sources. TURN OFF YOUR TV! …They (government and controlling elite) only tell the people things that they want them to believe, while blatantly disregarding the “truth”…
      …I am a baby boomer and just for the record I wish to state that we (my generation) really did think we could change the world, and wow did we try!…
      …If you want to learn about resistance you can youtube events such as SDS (students for democratic society) takeover of Columbia U; the race riots of the 1960s, Viet Nam war protests, the and the AIM (American Indian Movement) protests and takeover of Alcatraz and Wounded Knee, So.Dakota, just to name a few.
      …The young people then were fed up with the way things were being run in this country and really tried with all their hearts to stop war, feed the poor, care for the environment etc…
      …What is needed now is to stop complacently accepting someone else’s (gov. and the states) word concerning everything. Take in information, do your own research and then decide where you, as an individual, stand on matters of importance.

…Just remember to PRACTICE CRITICAL THINKING & ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!

• Pagan Harlow | Aug 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm |

And when you see a new adult who’s confused and hungry, you feed them with knowledge. Don’t spoon feed it, trick them to test them. Ask them and push them to think it through, find the cause, effect and consequence. You’d be amazed, they’re hungry for wisdom and getting fast food instead of a 5 star meal.

41. Anonymous | Aug 8, 2011 at 12:52 am |

you sound like a smart kid.

42. DeepCough | Aug 8, 2011 at 2:38 am |

43. Whats so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

…Just remember to PRACTICE CRITICAL THINKING & ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!

44. Francisco Saravia | Aug 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm |

stupid americas, cant even fight for their future

45. Francisco Saravia | Aug 9, 2011 at 5:25 pm |

stupid americas, cant even fight for their future

46. Pagan Harlow | Aug 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm |

47. Pagan Harlow | Aug 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

You use your tools wisely, that’s how. They don’t understand us, make use of that.

48. Pagan Harlow | Aug 24, 2011 at 11:16 pm |

49. Interesting comments here.
    Two things:
    1 KILL YOUR TV!!. There is a reason shows are called PROGRAMS.  Lauren Zalaznik,Chair of NBC Universal Entertainment & Digital Networks put it this way- I believe television directly reflects the moral, political, social and emotional need-states of our nation,” she said. “That television is how we actually disseminate our entire value system.”
    In other words: GIGO effect- Garbage In,Garbage Out
    2.Cut out the generational hate.Its just another divide and conquer tactic. In a time when everyone needs to stand together against the goodfella’s club intergenerational hatreds are counter-productive and only help to serve the interests of the goodfella’s and allows them to retain power.

50. Interesting comments here.
    Two things:
    In other words: GIGO effect- Garbage In,Garbage Out

51. Aram Jahn | Oct 8, 2011 at 7:00 am |

I hope Bruce E. Levine is somewhere right now, smiling. Perhaps for a moment or two he’s entertaining the idea that, only 5 weeks after he published his piece on AlterNet, he set off some sort of (now mathematically dubious?) “butterfly effect.” Or he just ignited the first spark. Anyway, the US is starting to look much different than the one Levine depicted only 2 months ago.

Bruce E. Levine: the One who Started It All!

Hey Levine: have fun with it.

52. Aram Jahn | Oct 8, 2011 at 3:00 am |

Bruce E. Levine: the One who Started It All!

Hey Levine: have fun with it.

53. Some of us barely made it by the skin of our asses.

54. There is plenty of good music coming from our current generations, it just gets overshadowed by watered down milquetoast garbage.