Burning Man Has (Literally) Sold Out

Burning ManAnyone going this year? If not, ever been? If not … Andrew Averill writes on SF Gate:

Many Burning Man festival participants climb a huge butterfly art structure to watch the sunrise over the playa. This year, the festival’s permit limits participants to 50,000 at one time.

When the first Burning Man event took place on San Francisco’s Baker Beach in 1986, it was such a lawless free-for-all that when it came time to burn The Man, a woman ran toward the engulfed 20-foot-tall humanoid structure and held its hand while wind blew the flames away from her.

Twenty-five years later, the annual event has become a mass sojourn into the Nevada Black Rock desert — one that some of its most loyal followers complain is becoming increasingly rigid and commercial.

And now it has come to this: For the first time ever, Burning Man has literally sold out. Organizers were forced to cap the number of attendees to the weeklong event, an art-focused, community-centric festival that starts Aug. 29. The event sold out last week, giving rise to a profitable black market that some past Burning Man participants say goes against the festival’s principles.

More: SF Gate

32 Comments on "Burning Man Has (Literally) Sold Out"

1. I’m from Europe so if we go to a gig like that, it’s Teknival e.a.  But you really can’t compare that with this kinda thing.
    In any case, Teknivals are riddled with lifestyle anarchists who aren’t really the living embodiments of their social ideals.
    Oh wait, that’s the whole irony of lifestyle anarchism.  Thanks Bookchin!

2. I’m from Europe so if we go to a gig like that, it’s Teknival e.a.  But you really can’t compare that with this kinda thing.
    Oh wait, that’s the whole irony of lifestyle anarchism.  Thanks Bookchin!

3. Anonymous | Aug 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm |

liked for name dropping my favourite municipalist;)

4. Ronniedobbs | Aug 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm |

Can’t wait to go there. I’m an artist, free thinker blah blah too  but ohh wait I have to work.  My daddy’s trustfund doesn’t finance my lifestyle.

5. Ronniedobbs | Aug 2, 2011 at 9:48 am |

6. Anonymous | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

I just paid $ 23.86 for an iPhone and my girlfriend loves her Dell laptop that we got for $ 38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 42 inch LED TV to my boss for $ 665 which only cost me $ 62,81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, GrabPenny.com

7. Anonymous | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

8. Anonymous | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

9. Skullfaceflamenco | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

Lets not forget the undercover cops that dress like burners and arrest tens of thousands at every burn…

10. Skullfaceflamenco | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

11. Skullfaceflamenco | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

12. Skullfaceflamenco | Aug 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm |

13. Skeptical | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

10s of thousands, eh?

14. Skeptical | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

10s of thousands, eh?

15. Hadrian999 | Aug 2, 2011 at 5:57 pm |

it’s easy to make snide comments but  the reality is that if you take any kind of festival and it pretty much is over once it enters mainstream thought it dies, instead of community and ideals you have to worry about legal liability, permits, lifestyle tourists flock in to see the freaks like they are going to a zoo, it get bloated and becomes a disneyland version of itself. these things either have to stay under the radar or you have to keep moving from small festival to small festival

16. Hadrian999 | Aug 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm |

• jasonpaulhayes | Aug 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm |

You have to keep it Gypsy!

• Ronniedobbs | Aug 2, 2011 at 9:59 pm |

sounds like the history of my hometown asheville.  at one time it was a legitimate progressive community that had potential.  now its all licensed pet therapist (and I mean the pets themselves are licensed) , crytsal waving healing seminars, the ever ubiquitious drum circle, wannabe anarchists and dipshit hipsters with their terrible hillbilly-punk-bluegrass-reggae-electornica sonic abortions…

• and either kicks out the people who started it or neuters them for a more mainstream accepted image

17. I’ve never been but I hear Boom Festival in Portugal is good too.

18. I’ve never been but I hear Boom Festival in Portugal is good too.

19. Frankensteinmoneymac | Aug 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm |

Seemed like kind of a misleading article…by “selling out” I thought it meant that this year it was gonna be “burning man…brought to you by Coca Cola” or something like that….not just that they literally sold out of space. That doesn’t seem as big a deal to me….They probably have to keep the numbers down due to things like the Fire Code….er…well maybe not the ‘Fire Code’ per say…but ya know what I mean.

20. Frankensteinmoneymac | Aug 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm |

21. You have to keep it Gypsy!

22. Ronniedobbs | Aug 3, 2011 at 1:59 am |

23. DeepCough | Aug 3, 2011 at 2:05 am |

Yeah, I blame the hipsters for this latest debacle.

24. and either kicks out the people who started it or neuters them for a more mainstream accepted image

25. and either kicks out the people who started it or neuters them for a more mainstream accepted image