Google Earth Begins Mapping Amazon Rainforest

Photo: Alex Guerrero (CC)

Photo: Alex Guerrero (CC)

Not sure if ‘street view’ is the right term for it, but Google has begun mapping the Amazon much like it does streets in cities and towns. Via The Australian:

Two women washed clothes in the dark water of the Rio Negro as a boat glided past with a camera-laden Google tricycle strapped to the roof, destined to give the world a window into the Amazon rainforest.

A “trike” typically used to capture street scenes for Google’s free online mapping service launched last Thursday from the village of Tumbira in a first-ever project to let web users virtually explore the world’s largest river, its wildlife and its communities.

The project was the brainchild of Amazonas Sustainable Foundation (FAS), which two years ago went to Google Earth with a vision of turning “Street View” into a river view in the lush and precious Amazon Basin.

[Continues at The Australian]

24 Comments on "Google Earth Begins Mapping Amazon Rainforest"

1. Oh good! Now they’ll be able to cut it all down ten times faster.

2. Anarchy Pony | Aug 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm |

Oh good! Now they’ll be able to cut it all down ten times faster.

3. Archon474 | Aug 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm |

In other news:  “Amazon Begins Mapping Google Active Directory Forest”

4. In other news:  “Amazon Begins Mapping Google Active Directory Forest”

5. It’s ‘swamp view’. After google mess whit others peoples privacies in the cities now its the turn of the animal life to be harrassed.

6. It’s ‘swamp view’. After google mess whit others peoples privacies in the cities now its the turn of the animal life to be harrassed.

7. GrapeSodaWhat | Aug 23, 2011 at 1:36 am |

Yo, if I ever see this “Google” mapin my yard, or my crib. I’m gonna have Mr Wiggles here bite the shit outa that ass. Ain’t nothin or nobody gettin up in here, infringin on me and my weed. I gotta right to protect Myself and my investments. And if you tribal motherfuckas out there in the Amazon don’t want this “Google” mapin your shit… Use some of that jungle on em, u feel me?

Peace out.

8. GrapeSodaWhat | Aug 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm |

Peace out.

9. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

10. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

11. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

12. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

13. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

14. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

15. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 am |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

16. Loontonne | Aug 22, 2011 at 11:08 pm |

‘that is no ship. That is no forest’
    [GOOGLE hits em]
    ‘that is no googles. we just imagine the googles because we fear googles’

17. …..while it’s still there.

18. bobbiethejean | Aug 23, 2011 at 1:32 am |

…..while it’s still there.

19. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 6:25 am |

another breathtaking adventure into the heart of darkness. just imaging teh imagination.

20. Loontonne | Aug 23, 2011 at 2:25 am |

21. It’s just like swimming the Amazon! Minus the Candiru, Malaria, or Cannibals!

22. It’s just like swimming the Amazon! Minus the Candiru, Malaria, or Cannibals!

23. So in 5 years time we’ll still think parts of it still exist when in reality it will have been raised to the ground to create palm oil plantations.

24. So in 5 years time we’ll still think parts of it still exist when in reality it will have been raised to the ground to create palm oil plantations.