How The Universe (Something) Appeared From Nothing (Video)

Granted this video is a promo for the New Scientist‘s recent issue on “existence”, it’s pretty interesting, if you are OK with incomplete answers. (Figuring out how the universe got so large is still a serious head-scratcher.) My takeaway after watching this, is if “something” is not really that different from “nothing” (according to our human perception) then, well, there is still much to ponder …

, , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to How The Universe (Something) Appeared From Nothing (Video)

1. Anonymous August 4, 2011 at 2:40 am #

I got something out of that.

2. jeffhalmos August 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm #

I got something out of that.

3. Al Briggs August 4, 2011 at 4:10 am #

I got nothing out of that.

4. Al Briggs August 4, 2011 at 12:10 am #

I got nothing out of that.

5. Anonymous August 4, 2011 at 4:25 am #

More evidence suggesting that life is just a ride.

6. StillAtMyMoms August 4, 2011 at 12:25 am #

More evidence suggesting that life is just a ride.

• EvolvedApe August 4, 2011 at 11:52 am #

I want my money back.

• Zenc August 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

You can’t get your money back but you can get off the ride anytime you’d like.

7. Tony Traverso August 4, 2011 at 5:45 am #

thanks now my brain hurts

8. Tony Traverso August 4, 2011 at 1:45 am #

thanks now my brain hurts

9. EvolvedApe August 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm #

I want my money back.

10. Word Eater August 4, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

How much pot was smoked to come up with that theory?

11. Word Eater August 4, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

How much pot was smoked to come up with that theory?

12. Nirvanasteve August 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

The more of modern physics I hear, the more it sounds like they’re just inventing ways of saying “we don’t know”. “Something is the same as nothing”? Try making that statement to anyone with a rudimentary grasp of philosophy and they’ll laugh you out of the room. I hope the actual article is more intelligent than that video.

13. Nirvanasteve August 4, 2011 at 4:11 pm #

14. chinagreenelvis August 5, 2011 at 4:30 am #

The definition of “nothing” as used here does not take into account that there was ever a time in which the system itself did not exist.

The system – the potential universe and the ability inside of it for things to exist – is a given. When you reduce the amount of “stuff” inside the universe to a state described here where nothing exists within it, you get the strange quantum behavior of particles popping in and out of existence. But that does not provide a scenario in which the universe itself is not a thing, and therefore the properties of entropy can be applied to it.

If you remove the system, if you remove the universe itself, you do not have a system in which to apply these principles to. You have either absolute nothingness (which is ironic since “absolute nothingness” is not something that can be had) or you have whatever is “outside” or “before” the universe, but what is that? Another universe full of smaller universes like our own? What would be outside of that universe? Even trying to think in these terms is currently nothing more than an exercise in absurdist philosophy.

In short, “nothing” can mean very different things. This example does not tackle the problem of “something from nothing” in the ultimate sense of the word.

15. chinagreenelvis August 5, 2011 at 12:30 am #

16. Zenc August 5, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

You can’t get your money back but you can get off the ride anytime you’d like.

17. Sidartha August 8, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

I agree with this video. Buddhism has known this to be true for over 2,000 years.

18. Sidartha August 8, 2011 at 11:21 pm #