indexGo figure, Jackie O. was a paranoid conspiracy buff. She kept her views secret out of fear of reprisals against her family. The Daily Mail reports:

Jackie Onassis believed that Lyndon B Johnson and a cabal of Texas tycoons were involved in the assassination of her husband John F Kennedy, ‘explosive’ recordings are set to reveal.

The secret tapes will show that the former first lady felt that her husband’s successor was at the heart of the plot to murder him. She became convinced that the then vice president, along with businessmen in the South, had orchestrated the Dallas shooting, with gunman Lee Harvey Oswald – long claimed to have been a lone assassin – merely part of a much larger conspiracy.

The tapes were recorded with leading historian Arthur Schlesinger Jnr within months of the assassination on November 22, 1963, and had been sealed in a vault at the Kennedy Library in Boston.

The then Mrs Kennedy, who went on to marry Greek shipping tycoon Aristotle Onassis, had ordered that they should not be released until 50 years after her death, with some reports suggesting she feared that her revelations might make her family targets for revenge. She died 17 years ago from cancer aged 64 and now her daughter, Caroline Kennedy, has agreed to release the recordings early.

55 Comments on "Jackie Onassis Claimed Lyndon Johnson And Texas Businessmen Were Behind JFK Assassination"

1. Mamagriff50 | Aug 9, 2011 at 12:34 pm |

My father always said it was Johnson. All I have seen and read about it has convinced me that it was Johnson too. Can’t wait to hear the tapes, thankyou Caroline.

2. Mamagriff50 | Aug 9, 2011 at 8:34 am |

3. Bobby thought the same thing, and he never really liked Johnson. Not really all that surprising that Jackie would come to the same conclusion.

I think old Oliver Stone was closer to the mark than certainly anyone in Washington would have liked in terms of pointing out how the military industrial complex along with Johnson benefited from Kennedy’s demise. Kennedy would have taken us out of Vietnam, not escalated, and that would have cut into the profits of the war makers. But Johnson was hot for war, and could be manipulated into thinking that if we just throw more troops at the problem, it’ll fix itself.This is why, if you’re from Texas, you shouldn’t be within a thousand yards of the White House. Johnson’s Great Society was a wonderful idea, and was what marked him as a Democrat from Texas, as opposed to a Republican from Texas (who have ZERO good ideas) but all that war stuff? That’s all Texas cowboy irrationality writ large, and Johnson had that BS just as much as Bush did, and jut as much as that hairdo Rick Perry will if anyone’s daft enough to put hat idiot into office.

4. Bobby thought the same thing, and he never really liked Johnson. Not really all that surprising that Jackie would come to the same conclusion.

• You are insane, this news is bogus as you will see when the tapes and book come out in mid Sept.

5. Anonymous | Aug 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

Both RFK and LBJ’s girlfriend thought the same thing. The girlfriend claimed to be at a meeting where LBJ stated something about not having anymore trouble with JFK. She wrote a book and there are videos. The Kennedys and LBJ actually hated each other.

6. aspiecelia | Aug 9, 2011 at 11:07 am |

• chinagreenelvis | Aug 9, 2011 at 7:40 pm |

This is true! I remember her testimony that Johnson had gotten drunk and blurted out that they had “fixed those Kennedy’s for good” or something to that effect.

7. Anonymous | Aug 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm |

i believe it.

8. Jin The Ninja | Aug 9, 2011 at 11:52 am |

i believe it.

9. medicine ball | Aug 9, 2011 at 4:47 pm |

“i wanna be jackie onassis, i want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses”

10. medicine ball | Aug 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

“i wanna be jackie onassis, i want to wear a pair of dark sunglasses”

11. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 9, 2011 at 5:20 pm |

Holy shit.

12. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm |

Holy shit.

13. Texas is the reason that the Presidents dead..

14. Texas is the reason that the Presidents dead..

15. Wasn’t the only time a clique of wealthy tycoons conspired against the US. Its pretty much all they do…its their raison d’etre if you will…power for powers sake. Whether it was Smedley Butler calling out various participants in a plot against the president, or the attempt to corner the silver market illegally, or bust a cap in Kennedy’s head (or a shot in old Ronnie Raygun’s chest by the hand of a kid who grew up socializing with the Bush family)…its always a matter of billionaires getting what they feel is their just desserts by whatever means necessary. I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that emerges from those tapes.

16. Wasn’t the only time a clique of wealthy tycoons conspired against the US. Its pretty much all they do…its their raison d’etre if you will…power for powers sake. Whether it was Smedley Butler calling out various participants in a plot against the president, or the attempt to corner the silver market illegally, or bust a cap in Kennedy’s head (or a shot in old Ronnie Raygun’s chest by the hand of a kid who grew up socializing with the Bush family)…its always a matter of billionaires getting what they feel is their just desserts by whatever means necessary. I wouldn’t be surprised by anything that emerges from those tapes.

17. DeepCough | Aug 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm |

This was already covered by Rolling Stone years ago.

Note: the article cannot be found on the Rolling Stone website, I tried already.

18. DeepCough | Aug 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm |

This was already covered by Rolling Stone years ago.

• The Johnson estate had it removed, no doubt.  Jann Wenner and Lyndon Johnson were gay lovers in the late ’60’s.  I have always told my family that I believed this. Amazing!

19. Anonymous | Aug 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

This is true.  Both Jackie and John Jr. never denied a conspiracy in John’s assassination.  What always shocks me is when a docile sheep asserts that it is foolish to believe in another gunman.  They always overlook that in 1978 the House Select Committee on Assassinations acknowledged JFK died as a result of a conspiracy.  Even  OUR OWN GOVERNMENT admitted it.

20. StillAtMyMoms | Aug 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm |

• chinagreenelvis | Aug 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

Not to say that Johnson couldn’t have been behind this, ultimately – I actually am quite interested in both the lone gunman and conspiracy schools of thought – but unfortunately I feel I should point out in all fairness that the 1978 conclusion was based on the review of a police radio audio recording that was presumed at the time to be of the gunshots fired (from which they concluded that four shots rang out and not three) but has since been demonstrably presented to be from much later in the timeline. Specifically the recordings were made because a motorcade talkie had become stuck in the on position. The motorcycle that had been concluded as the source by the HSC turns out not to be in the position it would have had to have been, and there was an officer much further down the highway whose radio, anecdotally, was in the habit of becoming stuck. The evidence points to the recording as having come from this source, too far away and at the wrong point in time for the noises within to be the gunshots as assumed. A bit convoluted, but there is plenty of material on this out there for anyone who wants to look it up. And feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!

So while I don’t dismiss the conspiracy angle, I think it would be misleading to use the 1978 conclusion to support it. One of my many issues with Oliver Stone’s film…

• …before they denied it.

21. I thought this was common knowledge.

22. I thought this was common knowledge.

23. chinagreenelvis | Aug 9, 2011 at 11:39 pm |

24. chinagreenelvis | Aug 9, 2011 at 11:40 pm |

25. Anonymous | Aug 10, 2011 at 2:43 pm |

26. but it’s still what “she” thought. Unfortunately it’s not proof, I wish it was. A lot of people have thought a lot of things about this. Everything people are commenting about here could certainly prove that LBJ was an insensitive asshole, well duh! Just look at Glenn Beck.

27. Anonymous | Aug 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm |

Later they found a picture of him standing on the side walk in Dallas…We all can believe what we want to believe and I will always believe Johnson and Bush were involved!!!

28. Amazing,,,I have always told my family that I thought Johnson was behind Kennedy’s murder.  Now this comes out and just confirms my same sentiments from 1963.. I also believed Bush Sr. was part of it.  He was asked where he was when Kennedy was killed and he said he didn’t remember…How is it that ALMOST everyone that was alive on that day can remember exactly where they were and how they heard it?  Bush didn’t remember?

29. Majestic 12 killed JFK.

30. Majestic 12 killed JFK.

31. Tuna Ghost | Aug 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm |

Hmmm all the Italian mob guys I know claim the Mafia was responsible, but I think that’s just bragging.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson had a hand in it.

Hasn’t the “lone gunman” theory been all but disproven by now?  Does anyone still take that seriously?

32. Tuna Ghost | Aug 12, 2011 at 9:26 am |

• The Mormons I know brag that Glenn Beck did it.  So does Mr. Beck.  Albeit, oblliquely.

33. You are insane, this news is bogus as you will see when the tapes and book come out in mid Sept.

34. “if you will”

35. “sentiments”

36. …before they denied it.

37. The Johnson estate had it removed, no doubt.  Jann Wenner and Lyndon Johnson were gay lovers in the late ’60’s.  I have always told my family that I believed this. Amazing!

38. The Mormons I know brag that Glenn Beck did it.  So does Mr. Beck.  Albeit, oblliquely.

39. The Mormons I know brag that Glenn Beck did it.  So does Mr. Beck.  Albeit, oblliquely

40. The Mormons I know brag that Glenn Beck did it.  So does Mr. Beck.  Albeit, oblliquely

41. Yep.  “common”.

42. Yep.  “common”.

43. Best post of the lot right here.  Thanks MB.

44. Best post of the lot right here.  Thanks MB.