Murat Kurnaz: Nightmare At Guantanamo

Russia Today speaks with Murat Kurnaz, a German man (of Turkish decent) whom the United States arrested and imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay for five years before releasing him without charge or explanation. Before arriving at Guantanamo, Kurnaz was shipped to Afghanistan, where, in an effort to make him sign a confession, he says he was given electrical shocks, water-boarded, hung from the ceiling in chains for days on end, kept naked in freezing cold, and saw many other prisoners tortured to death.

Kurnaz’s detainment occurred while he was visiting Pakistan with a pacifist anti-poverty organization. He suspects his name was randomly given to authorities by someone in order to receive the $3,000 reward for reporting terrorists. The whole ordeal recalls the Spanish Inquisition:

12 Comments on "Murat Kurnaz: Nightmare At Guantanamo"

1. Mamagriff50 | Aug 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm |

HELLO!?!  Geneva Convention…..Bush’s bullsh*t. Do as I say, not as I do. Bush and all his cronies should be held accountable.

2. Mamagriff50 | Aug 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm |

3. The fact that Bush & Cheney and the sub-perps are still free is proof that the United Sates of America is a dictatorship and a police state.

Meanwhile, people with small amounts of pot are being arrested and Gitmo torture continues under Obama.

4. BuzzCoastin | Aug 15, 2011 at 9:44 pm |

5. Chris Mounce | Aug 16, 2011 at 8:35 am |

The reason Bush & Cheney are free is because Obama & Biden have continued and in some cases expanded their criminal practices.

6. Chris Mounce | Aug 16, 2011 at 4:35 am |

7. Billmasin585 | Aug 16, 2011 at 8:28 pm |

Murat is completely accurate.  I was a block leader there and was supposed to enforce all he explained, however I really chose not to…it was against how I felt people should be treated.  I would also bring ice creams to the dudes from Britain, the ones that made the movie ‘The Road to Guantanamo’.  I got a chance to watch Murat call the iguanas a few times, he made a particular guttural sound that they became accustomed to and recognized and he would pull the bread out from under his pants.  Sometimes he fed them with the bread in his mouth, it was incredible to watch.  These iguanas would somehow be hiding outside the blocks and he would call them, one or two large ones that resembled dinosaurs would literally sprint in a stomp up to his chain-link fencing and put their mouths to his.  Murat’s hair was very long then and everyone just referred to him as the Turk. When I would take him to the shower or to the recreation area, I would always reflect on how kind his eyes were.

8. Billmasin585 | Aug 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |

9. Anonymous | Aug 17, 2011 at 2:02 am |

Yet another reason I am ashamed to be an american(lower case intended). Sometime around the late 70’s or so  is when we just said fuck it and through all our decency and morals down the drain. Right around the time Anita Baker started spewing her vile shit if memory serves? Fucking disgusting shriveled douche bag cunt is she and all her shriveled douche bag right wing religious cuntbags as well! But who’s worse them? OR the douche bag cunts like myself who don’t do shit about it?

10. hawaiiguy | Aug 16, 2011 at 10:02 pm |

11. Tuna Ghost | Aug 22, 2011 at 1:07 pm |

This abuse of human rights is completely—wait, 3,000 dollars???  Excuse me, I have a few phone calls to make.

12. Tuna Ghost | Aug 22, 2011 at 9:07 am |