Self-Hatred vs. Self-Love: An Interview with Eric Walberg

Postmodern ImperialismGilad Atzmon writes on Media With Conscience:

Two weeks ago I published a review of Eric Walberg’s invaluable new book Postmodern Imperialism: Geopolitics and the Great Games. I was left with a few questions which Eric was kind enough to address.

Gilad Atzmon:  Hello Eric; thanks for finding the time to talk. I would like to begin if I may, with a few short questions: firstly, what is self-hatred?

Eric Walberg: Buddhism is based on the annihilation of the self. Islam – on the total submission of self. It’s at the heart of Christian beliefs too. (I don’t know about Judaism.)  Self-hatred has respectable roots.

GA: I totally agree with you. However, I wonder, are you a self-hater? I ask because in your writing, you seem to be deeply familiar with that kind of intellectual adventure.

EW: In some way, I like Woody Allen’s riposte “I may be self-hating but not because I’m a Jew.”
The self is constantly prompting us to do terrible things, so a bit of self-criticism is not such a bad trait.

GA: Considering the increasing power of Jewish lobbies, what do you think should be the role of the Jewish self-hater?

EW: I just saw “Sea Shepherd” about Paul Watson, an alpha male type, big ego, self-loving who channels his energy into a good cause. I’m not the heroic type, but channel my energy too. I like to think I complement people like Watson Just as the Zionists can so successfully change colours depending on their needs or shifting political winds, it is important that anti-Zionists mobilise all types – left, right, big egos, little egos, musicians, tin-ears, jocks, couch potatoes, etc

GA: If ‘anti Semites’ are those people that the Jews hate, and ‘anti-Semitism’ is a bunch of ideas that Jews cannot cope with, what should be the role of the Jewish ‘self hater’ in that regard?

EW: To fill in the gaps in the movement. To help unite people, not around their own egos, but around the movements and leaders who have the best chance of moving the campaign forward. I see this graphically in Egypt now, where suddenly there are 50 political parties and yet only one (united) counter-revolutionary force.

Read more here.

16 Comments on "Self-Hatred vs. Self-Love: An Interview with Eric Walberg"

1. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 8, 2011 at 1:26 am |

Keeping the ID in control for the good of others is the pinnacle of humanity. I really wish I was more like Jesus, Buddah, and other leaders who promoted the end of suffering through compassion.

2. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 7, 2011 at 9:26 pm |

• The idea that your in control is an illusion , plain and simple all i see is organized chaos .

The true meaning of control in the sense of the political world is Enslavement of either your mind your body or both.

• Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 8, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

Alright see where your coming from but I respectfully disagree brother. I truly believe though freedom is truly found in self discipline, and if one knows themselves truly, no prison can hold his/her spirit. .

I am usually quite argumentative but on matters like this, I have no idea what your core being is saying and we might be in total agreement with a different thought process.

3. The idea that your in control is an illusion , plain and simple all i see is organized chaos .

4. Tuna Ghost | Aug 8, 2011 at 12:40 pm |

I’ve always said that a little self-loathing is essential for any artist.  I’m pretty sure I was rationalizing when I said it, but its good to know I was right all along.

5. Tuna Ghost | Aug 8, 2011 at 8:40 am |

6. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm |

7. Hadrian999 | Aug 9, 2011 at 6:12 am |

I’m asatru, I don’t have to worry about all this self loathing stuff

8. Hadrian999 | Aug 9, 2011 at 2:12 am |

I’m asatru, I don’t have to worry about all this self loathing stuff

9. Anonymous | Aug 9, 2011 at 8:41 am |

really? that’s pretty cool man.

10. Hadrian999 | Aug 9, 2011 at 7:05 pm |

you should try reading the havamal, it’s very interesting

11. Anonymous | Aug 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm |

i will. thank you. i am pagan adjacent and have always been interested in norse religion/spirituality and runes.