Symbolic? Washington Monument Cracks in Quake

Washington MonumentJennifer Epstein writes in the Politico:

The earthquake didn’t cause widespread damages or injuries, but it did put a crack in the Washington Monument. After unconfirmed reports suggested the monument was tilting, park officials said Tuesday night that the 550-foot obelisk suffered a crack in the 5.8-magnitude rumble centered in Mineral, Va., near Charlottesville.

Inspections conducted by helicopter found a crack “at the very, very top” of the monument, park service spokesman Bill Line told The Washington Post, and the monument and plaza surrounding the structure will be closed indefinitely as it is examined.

Though it suffered damage, the monument isn’t leaning, the Park Service said. The Park Service has also temporarily closed the Lincoln Memorial and the Jefferson Memorial pending further inspection, while other landmarks — including the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial set to be officially unveiled this weekend — remain open.

Read more: Politico

60 Comments on "Symbolic? Washington Monument Cracks in Quake"

1. Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

This earthquake occurred just as the district attorney held a press conference explaining why the head of the International Monetary Fund Domique Strauss-Kahn was released of all rape charges, maybe symbolic of an erosion in justice?

2. Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 24, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

3. Monkey See Monkey Do | Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

• Ironaddict06 | Aug 25, 2011 at 6:04 pm |

No.  Anyone one who reads the facts of the case knows Kahn was set up, so he could not run the IMF and run for president in France.

4. justagirl | Aug 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm |

ha!  funnies.  but, that makes me kind of sad for the russian tear-drop monument..

5. justagirl | Aug 24, 2011 at 12:31 pm |

6. Earth: 1
    US Gov’t: >9000
    This could be a real game changer.

7. It was a waste of a perfectly good earthquake that no debris struck any politician in the head.

8. Earth: 1
    US Gov’t: >9000
    This could be a real game changer.

9. It was a waste of a perfectly good earthquake that no debris struck any politician in the head.

10. Rex Vestri | Aug 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm |

11. Rex Vestri | Aug 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm |

Just great….Now the Washington Monument is beginning to have ED (Erectile Dysfunction). I blame the GOP. Maybe it’s getting turned off by that batshit-crazy bitch…what’s her name?….Oh yeah, Bachman.

12. DeepCough | Aug 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |

“How long can America maintain its erection? More on this at 11.”

13. DeepCough | Aug 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm |

“How long can America maintain its erection? More on this at 11.”

14. CancerJesus | Aug 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

The only thing that should have cracked in Washington is Obama’s head, wide open.

Vote for Ron Paul!

15. CancerJesus | Aug 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

Vote for Ron Paul!

16. CancerJesus | Aug 24, 2011 at 1:24 pm |

Vote for Ron Paul!

• just shut the fuck up

• Scarzoosi | Aug 25, 2011 at 9:38 am |

Hmm.. Someone here wants to be under the desk in the oval office. Take a tip from Monica, or better yet, from Obama.

• CrackingUp | Aug 25, 2011 at 11:45 am |

I am also a supporter of Ron Paul but the language which you used about cracking open Obama’s head makes me uncomfortable, as it could be perceived as wishing violence upon the man who is – like it or not – our president. Perhaps if you had added something along the lines of: “…and then filling said head with some useful knowledge and practical information”. Trust me, no one is more disappointed in Obama than me…I voted for him the first time and therefore I feel partly responsible for all of the things which he has done that I find to be morally reprehensible (ie: not closing Guantanamo; not getting rid of the so-called “patriot” act; not ending Bush’s wars and then starting several of his own; wiping the option for single-payer right off the map; etc.)

• CancerJesus | Aug 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |

Yea, wasn’t thinking all that much when I made the comment. Didn’t intend to create the perception that “I” wanted to do harm to Obummer. Even though it can easily be interpreted that way…

My apologies..

P.S. To the Secret Service or DHS: if your watching me, it was just a joke, I’m kinda a fat-ass and probably couldn’t hurt anyone anyways. So yea…. We cool?

• Awww…. Someone offended you with their language on the interwebs.   Lets have a pity party awwwww!!!

• If you crack Obama’s head open, what’s to stop someone from cracking Ron Paul’s head open?

• ew.

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm |

Rightist libertarians are the fucking scum of the earth.

17. Penguins4life | Aug 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm |

Was it a evil terrorist plot? Find out as we fuck the rest of the world!

18. Penguins4life | Aug 24, 2011 at 1:35 pm |

Was it a evil terrorist plot? Find out as we fuck the rest of the world!

19. I agree that this crack in the monument is symbolic of the cracks that have wrecked our country, our freedoms, our liberties and our money.  Now is the time to stand up and demand back the America that made this country great.  I would tell you to vote Ron Paul at this point, but instead, I will ask, even beg, that you do your own homework, so you can feel emowered with your choice. Most candidates are like processed food, they may attract you with their package, but when you look at what really makes up the product, you get sick.  Now I will say “Ron Paul 2012”  Vote for integrity and civil liberties.  Peace to all.

20. I agree that this crack in the monument is symbolic of the cracks that have wrecked our country, our freedoms, our liberties and our money.  Now is the time to stand up and demand back the America that made this country great.  I would tell you to vote Ron Paul at this point, but instead, I will ask, even beg, that you do your own homework, so you can feel emowered with your choice. Most candidates are like processed food, they may attract you with their package, but when you look at what really makes up the product, you get sick.  Now I will say “Ron Paul 2012”  Vote for integrity and civil liberties.  Peace to all.

• CrackedUp | Aug 25, 2011 at 11:59 am |

I
      agree with Ron Paul on the following: ending the wars and bringing the
      troops home asap; getting rid of the so-called “patriot” act; and ending
      the war on drugs by legalizing across the board.

I disagree with him on ending the federal reserve, though I agree
      that it should be audited and made transparent so that we – the
      tax-paying voters – can see exactly what they are doing with our money.
      Also, he wants a free market with no regulations and that just does not
      make any sense to me…aren’t those regulations there for legitimate reasons?

I am
      shocked that he is anti-choice when it comes to abortion since Libertarians are supposed to be all
      about freedom of choice (obviously he is letting his personal feelings dictate this issue, which makes sense to me considering that he used to deliver babies for a living…)

Same-sex marriage is pretty much a non-issue: he is against a
      constitutional amendment and thinks that states should be able to decide
      for themselves. It is by no means a ringing endorsement but it is a far cry
      from the raging homophobes who make up most of the rest of the ticket.

Also, his comments on evolution are truly disappointing. All he had to say was: “Yes, I believe that God used evolution…” But to flat-out deny the theory and then claim that it is inappropriate to ask the president a science-related question is obviously serious cause for alarm…he is far from being a perfect candidate 🙁

• MasoMystic | Sep 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

Your not for ending a private company that steals all your money to make themselves richer and you pooer? I cant believe people are still playing this political game. We must look really fucking stupid from afar. We keep picking up the hot poker and shoving it in our own asses and just because one poker has  a nice little hat and another one has a fancy pair of jeans dont mean one is hotter then the other, they will both burn you..

Ron paul may or may not have americas best interest but one thing for sure as long as we keep playing the game they created we will continue to loose..

AND PS..
        Who cares if obama is president? what is that suppose to mean? and I wouldnt feel bad if you voted for him, im sure no matter what happened he would have been put into office. This is your democracy, this is your freedom america…

Turn on”
        Tune in
        And drop out…

• Anarchy Pony | Aug 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm |

21. It’s what the Asians call a sign from heaven and what in the west is known as an omen. DC finally got bent!

22. BuzzCoastin | Aug 24, 2011 at 9:30 pm |

23. just shut the fuck up

24. Scarzoosi | Aug 25, 2011 at 1:38 pm |

25. CrackingUp | Aug 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm |

26. CrackedUp | Aug 25, 2011 at 3:59 pm |

I
    agree with Ron Paul on the following: ending the wars and bringing the
    troops home asap; getting rid of the so-called “patriot” act; and ending
    the war on drugs by legalizing across the board.

I disagree with him on ending the federal reserve, though I agree
    that it should be audited and made transparent so that we – the
    tax-paying voters – can see exactly what they are doing with our money.
    Also, he wants a free market with no regulations and that just does not
    make any sense to me…aren’t those regulations there for legitimate reasons?

I am

Same-sex marriage is pretty much a non-issue: he is against a
    constitutional amendment and thinks that states should be able to decide
    for themselves. It is by no means a ringing endorsement but it is a far cry
    from the raging homophobes who make up most of the rest of the ticket.

27. If you crack Obama’s head open, what’s to stop someone from cracking Ron Paul’s head open?

28. Ironaddict06 | Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |

29. Ironaddict06 | Aug 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |

30. Ironaddict06 | Aug 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm |

Blahahaha.  Call it God, Allah, Yehova, Fate, Whatever you want-It has a great sense of humor.
    Yes it an Omen.  The Circle has been completed.  The anti-establishment of the 60’s are now the establishment, and are doing, and will do everything in their power to stay in control.

31. Ironaddict06 | Aug 25, 2011 at 6:30 pm |

32. CancerJesus | Aug 26, 2011 at 2:43 am |

My apologies..

33. ew.

34. Do you have chopped liver for a brain? Ron Paul’s pro free marketeering bullshit will be a disaster for all of the not already rich. Reform and referendum can’t save us. The system is corrupted and broken down to the core, voting in new candidates will not solve any problems.

35. How about we crack open both their heads and simply do something new, and give up on the failed endeavor that was america.

Rightist libertarians are the fucking scum of the earth.

36. Earth is just warming up friend.

37. this is only the “tip” of the iceberg….

38. this is only the “tip” of the iceberg….

39. Awww…. Someone offended you with their language on the interwebs.   Lets have a pity party awwwww!!!

40. Mkellybum | Aug 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm |

The only thing that seems symbolic us that the crack is at the “very, very top.”

41. Mkellybum | Aug 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |

42. Anonymous | Aug 29, 2011 at 9:17 am |

Oh its so sad news about Monument .In this Monument there are many Old remembered movement .

43. Icarus_swordfish | Aug 31, 2011 at 8:44 pm |

Symbolic? No. Just proof that 150+ year-old concrete can’t survive an earthquake. What a surprise.

44. Icarus_swordfish | Aug 31, 2011 at 4:44 pm |

45. MasoMystic | Sep 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

AND PS..

Turn on”
    Tune in
    And drop out…

46. Maybe God is punishing us for displaying the sun god’s penis across the street from the White House

47. Maybe God is punishing us for displaying the sun god’s penis across the street from the White House